Top 25 Historical Teams in Tennessee

Well Gate City plays a scrimmage like it is a super bowl. They beat DB in the 1970's and still talk about it. It was a big down year for DB and one of the best teams Gate City had. For years DB heard all the Gate City trash talk. Finally, in the early part of this century (when Gate City was a top team in VA) DB held a full out scrimmage against them. DB did not even have one of their best teams, the score was so lopsided that it was not even funny. In fact, it was just ugly. Gate City had their 1970's team, but TN High woulda killed them if they took it seriously. DB heard the same crap for years, then DB rocked them worse then a DB vs East game and Gate City still talks about 1970. And for the record, DB is not known for scrimmage blowouts. In fact, they usually lose them because they try so many new plays and player. This one though, was a blowout. Besides, Virginia has like 4 state champs in en every division and Gate City should be playin bigger schools but they cheat the count, just like all the Gate City politician scandals we read about on a nearly daily basis. Talk about a bunch of bull, go to SW VA, it stinks of it.

After statements like this, is there any wonder why so many people hate D-B?

It has become quiet on the boards lately, especially with it being the dead period. So I thought I would attempt to make a list of the top 25 historical teams in the state of Tennessee to help generate some talking. The list is intended to encompass all great teams of the past. I attempted to exclude teams that have been subpar throughout the years, although 2008 will be "their year." /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> The list is in no particular order. Do you agree? Disagree? Any comments?

1. MBA Big Red

Year football was established: circa 1899???

State Championships: 9

2nd Winningest team in the state of Tennessee

MBA in my opinion is a team that should belong in everyone's top 25 poll, maybe top 5 poll. They're consistently a tough team and they play other top teams from around the nation.

2. Alcoa Tornadoes

State Championships: 9

Alcoa has been a force in 2A for several years and a top team in the state.

3. Chattanooga Central Pounders

State Championships: 6

They have struggled lately, but six state titles is impressive.

4. Maryville Rebels

State Championships: 11

60 Game Winning Streak

3rd Winningest Program in Tennessee

They have won the past 4 state titles in 4A and a top notch coaching staff.

5. Milan Bulldogs

State Championships: 4

6. Brentwood Academy Eagles

State Championships: 10

Brentwood Academy is another top 5 team. They are one of four teams to win back to back state titles in the highest classification.

7. MUS

State Championships: 3

8. Tennessee High Vikings

National Championships: 1

State Championships: 2

Year football was established: 1900, recorded 1911

Old Nicknames: Maroon and White Machine, Warriors, Adamites

The Vikings have been playing football for quite some time. One of four teams to win back to back state championships at the highest classification. Declared National Champions in 1972.

9. Cleveland Blue Raiders

The Blue Raiders won back to back to back state titles in 4A from 1993 to 1995.

10. Riverdale Warriors

Riverdale has been a 5A powerhouse throughout the years.

11. South Pittsburgh Pirates

12. Marion County Warriors

13. Melrose Golden Wildcats

14. Germantown Red Devils

15. Austin East Roadrunners

16. Fulton Falcons

Very good 3A team.

17. Battle Ground Academy Wildcats

They have had subpar teams lately.

18. Lincoln County Falcons

19. Oak Ridge Wildcats

State Championships: 7

Oak Ridge is one of only 3 teams to ever be declared national champions and one of only four teams to win back to back state championships at the highest classification.

20. Shelbyville Bedford County Training

Undefeated for 82 consecutive games.

52 consecutive shutouts. /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

21. Gallatin Green Wave

22. Baylor Red Raiders

State Championships: 1

4th Winningest Program in Tennessee

23. Trousdale County Yellowjackets

24. Dobyns-Bennett Indians

Winningest Program in Tennessee

Old Nicknames: Magicians??

Few People can spell their name correctly /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Great team with tradition. One of the best football atmospheres in the state.

25. David Lipscomb Mustangs

The omission of South-Doyle is glaring

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

No, but really, I would've put D-B a little higher. Another thing, not to knock your list or anything, but how is A-E with only 3 state titles higher than Oak Ridge with 7 and a shared national title?

The omission of South-Doyle is glaring

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

No, but really, I would've put D-B a little higher. Another thing, not to knock your list or anything, but how is A-E with only 3 state titles higher than Oak Ridge with 7 and a shared national title?

Maybe South Doyle can have an honorable mention. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

The teams are randomly listed.

In every sport and at every level, people love to hate a winner. But hate is kind of a strong word, we like to call it ENVY.

There's where you're wrong DBT. As many games as Maryville has won in a row and as many championships as they've won, they don't get 1/10 the hate as D-B does and D-B hasn't won squat except beating up on smaller schools in their area. There's a reason. The fans. Not all D-B fans are this way. I actually have many friends who are D-B fans. It's the few obnoxious ones, who weren't around in the 30's and 40's when D-B was the dominant team in the state, that love to live in the past and run their mouths about how they are the winningest team in the state because they had a team while Moses still walked the earth.

Bud, quick question for you.........why do you think the GC/D-B series was stopped after the 1970 game? I mean, in 1970 there was a game after D-B beat Gate City in '69 26-14. But, mysteriously, after Gate City smacked D-B around in '70 by a score of 44-16, the series was cancelled and never brought back. Wonder why?

There's where you're wrong DBT. As many games as Maryville has won in a row and as many championships as they've won, they don't get 1/10 the hate as D-B does and D-B hasn't won squat except beating up on smaller schools in their area. There's a reason. The fans. Not all D-B fans are this way. I actually have many friends who are D-B fans. It's the few obnoxious ones, who weren't around in the 30's and 40's when D-B was the dominant team in the state, that love to live in the past and run their mouths about how they are the winningest team in the state because they had a team while Moses still walked the earth.

If anyone should appreciate great football tradition, it should be someone who calls themselves Volman. Ever heard of General Neyland or the 3rd Saturday in October? It's what makes UT such a special place. And the DB folks also take great pride in our great tradition, whether our detractors like it or not. If you think Maryville doesn't have any enemies, you should take a look at the message boards from Blount County to see what the fans at Alcoa and William Blount have to say. As far as the fans go, I could give you a laundry list of South fans that I have met through the years who are nothing short of rednecks. So be careful before you start casting stones.

Bud, quick question for you.........why do you think the GC/D-B series was stopped after the 1970 game? I mean, in 1970 there was a game after D-B beat Gate City in '69 26-14. But, mysteriously, after Gate City smacked D-B around in '70 by a score of 44-16, the series was cancelled and never brought back. Wonder why?

Bud can speak for himself, but I'd like to ask you a question too. How many times has South played Gate City since the schools inception, huh? Your enrollment is a lot closer to theirs than ours is.

Probably because Central and East joined the conference in 1971.