Class 3A: Region 7 Favorites

CoachT

Who is the region favorite in 2008?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the region favorite in 2008?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This week we'll vote on the Class AAA favorites in each region

I would presume Dyer County to be the favorite in region 7 AAA. Lot of talent returning,however their hearts and souls may have graduated . Choctaws need for their seniors to step up as leaders. Dont be surprized if several freshmen dont get playing time . Northview Jr. High did very well last year while learning the new "O" Choctaws ran last year and had a very good "D" == these frehmen are ready to play.

DC has talent returning on "O" N "D" ,but can the coaches have them to play with the zeal they played as last year without senoir leaders.

Dyersburg and Haywood will challenge the Chocs. Covington ,Crockett are the sleepers with great coaching.

Counce returning to Dyersburg is worth 2 tds in any game win or lose. Counce can make a very good player out of any player= a very good team.He gets the most they all have bar none! . DHS has numerous players returning that played a very valuable part of the success the Trojans have enjoyed the past few years, therefore DHS will be ready,willing and able to play anyone . Gonna be a great season in region 7 AAA AS ALWAYS! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

GO TROJANS!! GO CHOCTAWS!

the only thing i know is that since dyersburg has joined this region, the trojans have either won it or come in second, which apparently is being reflected by the total votes in the poll.....

here is my take on dburg:

if you had asked me in feb about the burg, i would have said no better than 3rd......today, it looks like they will again contend for the region championship....... the progress that coach counce and his young gun assistants have made is remarkable.......a totally new practice system and condition program has paid big dividends early and is expected to pay even bigger dividends in the years to come...

the dburg "d" will be the bright spot..... the db's, linebackers, and ends are all solid and the "d" line will be just fine......key linebackers will be seniors ellis and newsome.. ellis benchs 375 and newsome 300....both have excellent speed and size....add to that a junior to be transfer linebacker/full back who was a projected starter at dyer county...key db players will be waldon, click and whitfield, all track standouts (whitfield won the state in the 400 meter)

the big "o" has some big question marks.....can the young "o" line get it done? will experience across the entire offense be a major factor? talent is available....... at the QB position, there are 3 players fighting for the right... one of which is a junior to be transfer who threw for over 1500 yards as a sophomore and appears to be quick as a cat...... dburg will feature a good stable of tailbacks and fullbacks, but only one of the group (ellis) is a returning starter...... on paper, dburgs offense is young and inexperienced........

now for the rest of the pack: (would be good if someone from each team post some key player info)

crockett, haywood, dc and covington will contend, along with dburg for the top 4 spots...

the unknowns are oc and ripley......oc's new coach has the reputation of turning programs around in just 1 year.......i also have heard that ripley has themselves a new offensive coordinator....and if it is who they say, then crap, look out cause he could throw this entire region a huge surprise this year....

be sure to visit dyersburgfootball.com during the season as we will post a scouting report for each team during the season......

PA Pratt will have Crockett County in the middle of things...A John W. Tucker disciple..I believe Crockett County will be back in the hunt....Haywood County is well...Haywood County..."They don't rebuild...They reload"...I have often said...IF James Counce had HALF THAT TALENT that Haywood had...He would have a few Gold Balls already in the trophy case....Covington ...IMO will be Covington...Fast, and athletic....You can't ever count them out...

Dyer County IF THEY KEEP THEIR FOCUS and GET SOME SENIOR LEADERSHIP will be in the thick of things....Four out of 5 starters return on the O-line...Jeff Miller , who was Jackson Sun 2nd team LB last fall steps out of the shadow of BA Davis...and takes his place in the backfield...Look for Miller if he is injury free to have a "Mr Football type year"...The kid is a BEAST....Craig Whitt is another kid who has beefed up and looks to have a great year.....Peyton Lucas MADE Adam Clark the qb he was last year...Peyton is a good qb ...a good kid and while DC fans are waiting the arrival of Dylan Dye...IMO it won't be this year...The Lucas kid will be fine...Plus look for Eric McLin to have a good year....The thing about DC is : THEY WON"T SNEAK UP ON ANYBODY THIS YEAR...Last year was the year AA...( After Andre)..and everybody ( ME INCLUDED) didn't think they would break .500....They won't SNEAK up anybody this year...They will be the GAME FOR EVERYBODY because they are the defending champions..If Renshaw can keep them focused..They have the talent...But they need some kids to replace the leadership of BA Davis , Jared Hunter and a few of those other kids...They are on the road to Auburn right now...to spend the week at camp down there to learn from Tony Franklin about "the spread offense" since he is Auburn's new OC...

Now back to Dyersburg...James Counce does MORE WITH LESS than any coach around...As I have told him to his face..."YOU TAKE LEMONS AND MAKE LEMONADE"...Not a slight on the Dyersburg kids ...but athlete for athlete...every Friday night with the exception of a game or two...we have LESS ATHLETES than anybody we play...Counce's teams are fundamentally sound...well disciplined and WILL BEAT YOU IN THE FOURTH QUARTER...They will be in BETTER SHAPE....I am anxious to see the results of the new CONDITIONING PROGRAM on the field...Because just as far as "the eye test goes"...Those kids are GETTING HUGE...One lady I work with...her son has gained close to 30 lbs of muscle...And it is all UPPER BODY and in his THIGHS.. Coach Bowling was a fine man...and anyone who can win at Obion Central is a GOOD COACH...But I for one am glad Coach Counce is back!....I hate what happened last year for he and his family...But if Coach Counce and that bunch coach that team...I believe we play for it all ...But hindsight is 20/20...Glad the man is back... Have heard he has weeded a few of the "knuckleheads" out since he has been back...which is good...Go watch a James Counce pratice...then go watch an Adam Renshaw practice or a Darren Bowling practice...They are GOOD MEN...But you can tell WHO RUNS THE SHOW AT A DYERSBURG PRACTICE....Wish my son played for him...But he lives with his mother..so he wanted to go to DC...So I SUPPORT HIM...But Come October 24...I will sit on the opposite side...BLACK AND GOLD FOR LIFE!....I have taken ENOUGH RAGGING OVER LAST YEAR"S GAME....Can't wait for this one to get here..

and another thing...I have been told WATCH OUT FOR XAVIER TAYLOR....He was a terror in Middle School and as a freshman...got in the dog house and got back on the team with Bowling...Hear he has been doing great since Coach Counce returned....I know he was the scout team tb last year..and from what I have been told IS FASTER THAN TYLER CALDWELL by several players...Hopefully he will be Dyersburg's next great TB....And from MG's post I can assume that the transfer qb is in the fold...Hear he is a heck of an athlete and REALLY FOOTBALL SMART...plus an OUTSTANDING PUNTER...

James Counce like DHS Football 64 said...IS WORTH 14 points a game...He will take a 5-5 team and go 7-3...Glad he is back..

The difference in Obion Central from last season to this one will be night/day like. Wait and see

I don't know who you guys are listening too. But, you're sure putting the pressure on the Counce.

1. Covington

2. Dyer Co.

3. Haywood

4. Dyersburg

5. Ripley

6. Crockett Co.

7. Obion Co.

I don't know who you guys are listening too. But, you're sure putting the pressure on the Counce.

1. Covington

2. Dyer Co.

3. Haywood

4. Dyersburg

5. Ripley

6. Crockett Co.

7. Obion Co.

Counce knows where his priorties are having the Trojans Ready for a run for region 7 3A Title in 2008 and beyond. All Trojan players who have played or ever will play under Coach Counce learn from one of the best and Respect him for his gentleman approach towards them all!

Counce does not know pressure, he puts in on the other teams DHS plays. All region coaches know that with Counce as coach DHS will be a team to reckon with on Friday night they play the Trojans.

P.A.PRATT at Crockett will display another Cav team to reckon with as will Haywood and Covington.

In retrospect Region 7-3A is toughest in the TENNESSE top to bottom=== you can take a Friday night off or you lose.

PA Pratt suffered some TOUGH TIMES last year at CC...His qb was injured in that car crash, then his good friend and right hand man..Coach Brady suffered a stroke...and that bunch was coming on at the end of the year...look for them to be in contention for the title....Dyersburg loses alot especially on offense...But they will be ready...Losing players like Caldwell, Taylor, Beau, Vernon, etc...you can't help but feel their loss....But if THIS FRESHMAN CLASS...who only lost one game in Middle School last year..and LAST year's freshman class ( Counce will probably/already WEED the knuckleheads out) who lost one game to Brighton I believe...look for NEXT year for the Trojans to really be a force...But Pressure...Hey, that's why they pay the man like they do....He CAN HANDLE IT.....

1. Covington

2. Dyer Co.

3. Haywood

4. Dyersburg

5. Ripley

6. Crockett Co.

7. Obion Co.

us put presure on counce? lol.....i suspect he can handle that pressure......my god the man coaches with a sweat shirt on when it is 105 outside....

in the last three years dyersburg has won 32 of 37 ball games.....the team will settle for nothing less than a championship and a date in the boro......

stevie dude you are on target about crockett county.......they will be a big contender for the region championship this year, as they return the regions most experienced backfield....

i don't think there is a clear and obvious 2008 favorite in the region........if I was going by "on paper", then i would say crockett county.....

2008 may be the year remembered as "parity" where region games are won by 10 or less points

imo, here is where i think everybody could end up

1-3 dyersburg, crockett, haywood will battle for the top three spots

4-5 dc and covington will fight it out for 4-5

6-7 oc and ripley

observations:

* dc offense has the tools to contend for the top three spots......just not real sure about the defense

* oc shawn jackson has a history of turning programs around......does OC have the athletes for him to get it done?

* ripley has a new offensive coordinator who knows what he is doing.......

us put presure on counce? lol.....i suspect he can handle that pressure......my god the man coaches with a sweat shirt on when it is 105 outside....

in the last three years dyersburg has won 32 of 37 ball games.....the team will settle for nothing less than a championship and a date in the boro......

Wrong in his last three years Counce was 27 and nine. 12 and 2 in 06 (his last year), 10 and 1 in 05 and 5 and 6 in o4. From 02 to 05 Counce won only one play-off game. 1 and 4.