Monroe County (Top football teams in history)

Lawson was definitely an extrordinary player. Had the priviledge of playing baseball with him. Against Greenback, faced 27 batters, retired all 27. I about fell asleep in the outfield! LOL! If you have all the results from the 70 season or the 88-89 season, I would like to have them. They will be put on the High School Football Database. e-mail them to me at famkiser@aol.com or post them on here. Thanks.

I know the old 1971 annual has all the scores and starting lineups. All the annual in the late sixties has all the scores. vonore's 68-69 team, although not an all monroe couty team, was good as well. They went 7-3-1. Labe Gregory died on the field in the first game against Porter. The final was 0-0. Players and fans were crying and I don't know how they finished the game. they lost the next 2 games to Swater and madisonville, then they won 7 in a row. They lost their coach and also two captains from the 67-68 team to a car accident. The 68-69 team fought through a lot of adversity. I know this because my dad was a captain. Again, not a great team as far as "all-Monroe", but definetly an "all-monroe" story.

Jason Miller

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If its not too much trouble, could you get those results for me? I would appreciate all the help I could get compiling the history of Vonore football. After I get them all and post them on the database, I am going to put them together to be displayed at the Vonore Heritage Museum. Any help would definitely be appreciated. Again, you can e-mail them to me at famkiser@aol.com.

Kevin Kiser

Posted this on Sequoyahs thread wanted to put here to. Read in the Buzz today where former Sequoyah fullback Jerome Felton signed a 3 year contract with the Detroit Lions. Really looking forward to watching him play on Sunday's. Jerome was the best fullback I ever watched in high school. He was a load.

Tellico had a pretty good team in 1994. We ran the Notre Dame Box, and had a huge, dominating Offensive Line. We were 8 - 0 before we lost to Meigs County, who was ranked number 1 in the State. We crushed a terrible Madisonville team 54 - 6, and defeated a pretty good Sequatchie County team 9 - 7. We defeated Smith County and Oliver Springs in the playoffs, before falling to Onieda 28 - 14. As much as I like Coach Liles, that was one of the worst coached games I have ever seen. Still though, it was a heck of a year, especially in Tellico.

And Sequoyah's best team was in 1999. Yeah, we beat them that year too!!!!!!!!!!

Probably the best team from Tellico is the 1959 team, 9 -0 record, gave up only 32 points all season, scored 255. Coach Spurling had an incredible run while at Tellico. Some of the members of the 1959 Team were: Ed Phillips, Pete Hunt, Pat Wilson, Delano Raby, Don Britton, Kenneth Murphy...amongst others. I actually have some pictures of that team and met most of them and talked a good bit to them.

94 team was good. Great OL with some hard nosed running backs. Still got some of the tapes from then, actually I put them on DVD now. I actually hadn't watched the Oneida game completely until about 2 years ago, I couldn't bring myself to watch it.

My how things have changed.

Go Bears!!

Did hear 1 good story. My dad and I were at the Sweetwater Loudon game 2 years ago. We ran into a former coach Don Holcomb. I think he coached at Tellico and Vonore, not sure where else. But he told us a story about Coach Berrong and Kippy Brown. Apparently the 1970 vonore-sweetwater game was a very physical game. A game in which vonore knew they had to be physical with Brown and hit him every play. From what I understand, they did, but he kept getting up and making plays. Holcomb said after the game, Berrong knew that he had a winner in Brown. I know that this story is extemely paraphrased and I hope I did the story some justice. A great coach talking about a great player. If anyone can fill in the details please do so.

Vonore 12, Thanks for this and some of the other info.Keep the stories coming, really like hearing about this stuff! I would also like to hear more about this game also. I am going to try and talk to Coach Berrong sometime this season, but would also like to talk to Coach Holcomb sometime.

Thanks Kevin for your contributions to. Like Seq. Sid I would like to start getting Sweetwaters results from the past together. I have the records from 1950 on, but I need the scores from all the years.

Keep it coming, Everyone!

Philip M.

Philip, you might want to get in touch with the guy at High School Football Database. He has a lot of information and is always looking for more information. Maybe you guys can get together and get all of Sweetwater's history together.

The guy running the database said he would take any and all information that was submitted to him. They have a section for Rosters, season results, bowl results and a lot more. I would really like to see all the information we can get on there from Vonore, Madisonville, Sweetwater, Tellico, and even T.M.I. You can either send it to the database yourself, post it on here, or e-mail me. We will get it all on there one way or the other.

I also want to take this opportunity to wish Sequoyah, Sweetwater, and Tellico the best on their upcoming seasons. It's time to make people stand up and take notice of all the schools in Monroe County!

I agree Kevin good luck to all the County teams, I would love to see all the teams have success every year!

I had been in touch with the High School Database guy a couple years ago, when he was getting going and sent him the Sweetwater helmet. I had so much going on I kind of forgot about it till I saw something about it a couple months ago. I'm going to try and get as much info. as I can to put on the site. I would like to see all the teams complete history on there.

Vonore 12, Thanks for this and some of the other info.Keep the stories coming, really like hearing about this stuff! I would also like to hear more about this game also. I am going to try and talk to Coach Berrong sometime this season, but would also like to talk to Coach Holcomb sometime.

Thanks Kevin for your contributions to. Like Seq. Sid I would like to start getting Sweetwaters results from the past together. I have the records from 1950 on, but I need the scores from all the years.

Keep it coming, Everyone!

Philip M.

I belive Dwain Mercer may have a copy of this game. I will have to see if my dad or uncle has a copy. Obviously, it is Vonore and someone, but I think it is sweetwater. Its in black and white and it is hard to tell who is who. I'll find out. Sweetwater won 18-0, I think. Someone from swater may have it as well. If I am not mistaken there may be more games on the tape.

I just received the 1955 and 1958 schedule and results for Vonore. The 55 team went 6-4 and the 58 team went 8-2. The 58 team gave up 55 points and scored 153. Their two losses were to Etowah (13-0) and Sweetwater (14-6). Keep them coming Blue Devil fans. I am enjoying seeing how our teams faired in the past.

Yeah Cathey, you were pretty busy with the extra points in 94. Man, that team had a lot of depth. But yeah, the Meigs County week was a LOT of fun. I remember arriving 2 and 1/2 hours before that game. It was COLD! Jerimiah Kirkland's kickoff return was the loudest I ever heard that stadium too. . We stopped their running back from what I remember, but the air game killed us. Oliver Springs was a heck of a game. I think it went down to the wire. But yeah, the Onieda game was a hard one to swallow. I can't imagine what it was like for the players and coaches. I mean, Tellico whipped Onieda on the line, and it was oneida's worst possible match up. But, we called a stupid fake punt in the second half, and the momentem was gone after that. Coach Liles will even admit that was a very dumb call.

At the time, I did not appreciate that year as much as I should have. Those teams comes around once every 20 years in Tellico. I don't think you all would have beat Harriman the next week, but who knows?

Philip, you might want to get in touch with the guy at High School Football Database. He has a lot of information and is always looking for more information. Maybe you guys can get together and get all of Sweetwater's history together.

The guy running the database said he would take any and all information that was submitted to him. They have a section for Rosters, season results, bowl results and a lot more. I would really like to see all the information we can get on there from Vonore, Madisonville, Sweetwater, Tellico, and even T.M.I. You can either send it to the database yourself, post it on here, or e-mail me. We will get it all on there one way or the other.

Thanks for the plug.

Yes, anything historical - scores, rosters, stats, bowl results, photos, etc. - is fair game for the site. I am a team of one, so sometimes it is a slow grind as I only work on the site at nights, but I will get to everything sent in eventually. The older information (three classification days and before) is really nice to have, as that information is scarce on the internet. Plus, that period (early-to-mid 1980s) was my playing days, so it's good to relive the "old" days.

Getting ready to call it a night, but three Vonore rosters did get uploaded tonight, and I'll tackle 1985-1988 this weekend:

1982 Vonore Roster

1983 Vonore Roster

1984 Vonore Roster