Memphis City Athletic Director Out

wtnoff

VG as usual an excellent post that concentrates on principals ignoring local politics whether racial or otherwise in hiring. Only strong men/women of character that can teach and coach should be hired. Noticing one's color should only be an after thought, when the man/woman is already hired.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VG as usual an excellent post that concentrates on principals ignoring local politics whether racial or otherwise in hiring. Only strong men/women of character that can teach and coach should be hired. Noticing one's color should only be an after thought, when the man/woman is already hired.

Thanks nooney. This is a good topic that no doubt still influences sports and education today. My post was directed at Galilee, but let me add that I have a lot of respect for him. I`ve read his posts here and on other boards. I hope he feels inclined to respond. Not because I want to engage , but I want to hear his opinion.

VG I fell just like you. The only reason I made the point was that WNTOFF stated that white coaches could not get hired in Memphis. If a coach is good he is good, no matter what color.

I assure you that this is the last I'll mention on this subject. Reading in the paper today, I found these facts to be interesting...1. Weedon received his last evaluation a week before he was fired. (l0 areas of evaluation found seven to be the highest possible, with the remaining 3 areas satisfactory) Overall evaluation was tagged as "commendable". 2. He has been asked to remain on the job until late Sept. in order to set up stadium schedules, finish the insurance programs, etc. (Obvious request since the new AD has had absolutely NO EXPERIENCE in this area. 3. The board policy states that "All employment decisions are based on job experience (10 yrs as opposed to 0), qualifications (obviously has been deemed to be qualified) and finally performance (Evaluations speak for themselves, and one might note that in the 10 years in which he has served, there is not one negative or derogatory notation in his file!) The last observation that stands out is that he is white! Now...Say what you like, these are the facts...Kinda stands out as to this situation doesn't it? This subject is closed in my book. What another travesty of justice by people that feel they are "teflon coated." *****One last note after reading this morning's paper...It turned out that Cash had not seen Weedon's evaluation(s) when he decided to terminate him. Doesn't it seem only logical that before making such a decision that Cash would have gathered all the information available to him from Weedon's 10 year tenure to gain the most insight so as to be able to make the most intelligent and informed decision as to the man's job status. NO...He didn't do that! What does that say? It screams like a voice crying in the wilderness as to the bias and blatant racism that exists within the system. I'm done!

I assure you that this is the last I'll mention on this subject. Reading in the paper today, I found these facts to be interesting...1. Weedon received his last evaluation a week before he was fired. (l0 areas of evaluation found seven to be the highest possible, with the remaining 3 areas satisfactory) Overall evaluation was tagged as "commendable". 2. He has been asked to remain on the job until late Sept. in order to set up stadium schedules, finish the insurance programs, etc. (Obvious request since the new AD has had absolutely NO EXPERIENCE in this area. 3. The board policy states that "All employment decisions are based on job experience (10 yrs as opposed to 0), qualifications (obviously has been deemed to be qualified) and finally performance (Evaluations speak for themselves, and one might note that in the 10 years in which he has served, there is not one negative or derogatory notation in his file!) The last observation that stands out is that he is white! Now...Say what you like, these are the facts...Kinda stands out as to this situation doesn't it? This subject is closed in my book. What another travesty of justice by people that feel they are "teflon coated." *****One last note after reading this morning's paper...It turned out that Cash had not seen Weedon's evaluation(s) when he decided to terminate him. Doesn't it seem only logical that before making such a decision that Cash would have gathered all the information available to him from Weedon's 10 year tenure to gain the most insight so as to be able to make the most intelligent and informed decision as to the man's job status. NO...He didn't do that! What does that say? It screams like a voice crying in the wilderness as to the bias and blatant racism that exists within the system. I'm done!

Maybe they will end up giving it to one of Herenton's former bodyguards..... I love the one who is head of the libraries with no library experience yet draws 100 grand. Hilarious!!!

Maybe they will end up giving it to one of Herenton's former bodyguards..... I love the one who is head of the libraries with no library experience yet draws 100 grand. Hilarious!!!

NOPE, they gave it to one of "King Willie" former B/B teammates at Laymone- Owens .. job was already high-jacked" before Cash took over.. according to ( news media,radio,channel 5 ) Cash has taken account of the situation but nothing will change cuz the "King" has already spoken the "Truth"

What a hoot it is !!

wtnoff...I heard some of the same things on Memphis talk radio. IMO this Cash is the one who should be let go. If he was in the position of hiring and firing then obviously he should have known that there are evaluation reports on employees. The fact alone that he admits he didn`t take the time to look at Weeden`s performance records seems pretty fishy to me. Let`s leave out any racial motivations. The fact that Weeden had glowing reports leaves a lot of speculation concerning Cash`s ability.

As always VG you put some insightful info out there. Since I'm from East Tenn. and can't put my finger on the pulse I have narrowed this situation down to 2 possible scenarios.

1) Cash, if he is smart is bigoted and Machivillion

2) Cash, if he never checked the man's evaluations, is can't get into that and ignorant

Memphis is a school system where nobody leads and nobody follows. It's a shame because there are a lot of great kids and Teachers there.