the new kid

bamaboy

After re-reading warrior2024's post, I'm not so sure we souldn't give him the benefit of the doubt. I am not familiar with him, are you? I'm not sure he wasn't trying to be sarcastic(I don't think he was, but...).

rollredroll, That's me as well. I'll come home from work and hope that someone has given me a rebuttal.

The one draw back is when someone gets my temper flared. I say a lot of things that I shouldn't. And often times I won't delete them because I can't do it in life, so why do it here?

My mistakes are just that, MINE. And I wouldn't take away a part of myself anymore than I would deprive myself of a limb.

So yes! I am addicted as well! Why? Because, contrary to popular science, the brain is a mucsle! It requires a great deal of exercise and training. The brain performs reflexes we don't even notice.

The brain also requires rest, as I should do now. But wait! There could be a response waiting for me!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taking a page from VGs book:

Ego's posts to which I refered:

I know at Harding Academy after the first 6 week period a kid must sit out if

he is failing TWO classes or has anything lower than a C average (I think the

TSSAA is like a C-). So just because schools don't have to punish their kids for

academics, doesn't mean they dont. Contrary to what you guys might think,

some private schools care more about academics then athletics.

ELA you never commented on the fact that privates

like Harding bench kids if they aren't doing well in

school...Does it hurt you that privates take more of a stand

on academics then schools like yours (not saying yours cus

I don't know if you suspend kids for their grades). Last time

I asked you a question, I was warned, and called a jerk,

even though I still think it is a perfectly straight forward

question, and if he asked me if I was happy being a private

school graduate from stupid West TN, I would have

answered it...keep in mind, this is on the offchance that

someone reads my post, which apparently people just skim

through this

I don't have a problem with anyone on this site. Out of all the people on here, I only know who ELA supports and pulls for, I don't know where you went to high school or who you root for, I don't even know who VolGen roots for. I have heard where coachT teaches, but don't remember it frankly. I might question ELA more then anyone, but that is only because he is the only person here who I actually identify with, and he is also the most knowledgeable person on this site in terms of the amendments, TSSAA laws, and private/public issue...that being said he is also probably the most different person on here then me. He coaches at a small school and lives in a small town (I guess its a small town don't really know!). I live in a big city and played at a private school almost 5 hours from him. I do have a problem with people who do not answer direct questions to them. One example is the Title IX issue, ELA said that colleges were making "millions of dollars a week." When I did research on that, we found that the majority of colleges do not make that much money, and many of them are actually over their budget and in rough waters. ELA chose not to comment on that, thats a direct fact. I simply said people choose to answer what they want to, and if they don't have an answer they disappear for awhile. Another good example is VolGen's "Merit Based System" Go back to the last post, or the next to last post...It's by me, It says...what exactly is the problem with his plan? No one chose to answer it, therefore we can assume there are no problems or no one cares. I at first resented his plan, but I later admitted I was wrong...thats right, I wrote on their that what I had proposed would be a problem, really wasn't one and admitted my mistake. JUST1NP I respect your dedication to this site, as well as ELA's, and CoachT's they are all more extensive and meaningful to this site then my sometimes bitter or harsh tone, I mean no disrespect to anyone, and ELA will always be in my good graces as long as he roots for America's Team.

For the record... 99% of public schools follow the established (pass/fail) guidelines of the TSSAA, which I think most would agree are very fair. I do check my kids report cards every grading period and try to get them help if they are having problems in any subject, but very few public high schools will bench a kid unless their individual school has some policy regarding grades that has a higher standard than the TSSAA policy. There is actually a legal precedent for it and it goes something like this:

EXAMPLE: If little JOHNNY SENIOR is a starting TB (Blue Chipper in all of the national recruiting magazines) on a really good team, and his principal or coach benches him on the day when a major recruiter was scheduled to see him play at his school because he made a "C-" in English and an "F" in Spanish, well those are legal grounds for his parents to sue because the individual school is using a different standard than the state requires.

I can't remember what school was sued but it seems to me this sort of thing happened a few years back (1995-96?) in another state. Another family sued a coach because he refused to give mail from colleges to another athlete because he (the coach) thought it would be a distraction during the season.

I don't have a problem with a school district establishing a high standard for athletes, but I think it must be applied to everyone within that system equally and fairly, and it must respect the rights of all students and athletes.

I will continue to use the standards established by the TSSAA because that is the standard used by 90% of the teams we compete against!

[Edited by ELA on 7/30/02 6:03A]

So does that mean ELA, that public school football teams do not have to bench a kid during football season? I'm not even sure if public schools use a 6 week system or a 9? Harding does it if you are failing two classes, or have a C- average overall, obviously thats a private school though. Get back to this when you can, now that two a days have started. Remember the Dallas Cowboys training camp is wednesday on HBO around 11pm I believe?

in order to compare grade requirements it would help to know the grading scale. at my son's public school 75-85 was a "C". at my daughter's private school 70-80 constituted a "C". so a C- at the private would have been a D at the public school.

i dont know about what is required by tssaa, & i dont coach football, but here is what we do on my team. if you are failing a subject on your report card, you dont play until you have all passing grades. if you RAISE your overall grade average on a report card during the season, or make the honor roll, you get to start a game whether you are a regular starter or not. i haven't had to set many players out, but i've consistently had the pleasure of figuring out how to work every player into the starting lineup before the season was over. if playing for us is not having a positive effect on our players, i am not doing my job whether we are winning or not. oddly enough, if we do things right winning seems to take care of itself.

I'm giving you a good mark for your comments...

"i haven't had to set many players out, but i've consistently had the pleasure of figuring out how to work every player into the starting lineup before the season was over. if playing for us is not having a positive effect on our players, i am not doing my job whether we are winning or not. oddly enough, if we do things right winning seems to take care of itself."