New D2 Prediction Thread

just_do_it

I'm not very familiar with Baylor. How did they handle going coed? Did they increase enrollment, or did they drastically reduce the number of males in a class?

Like Diogenes, I wander the boards with my lantern, looking for a man with real evidence of recruiting....

Did they increase enrollment, or did they drastically reduce the number of males in a class?

I am really not too sure; they may have increased enrollment a bit but not by much.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just as much knowledge about financial aid recipients at BA as I do MBA. I don't think you know either. I think you are assuming and that is perfectly fine for a message board. Giving your opinion or assumptions is all part of the Coach-T experience. One thing I do know for sure, however. Neither MBA or BA give "scholarships" to anyone. They give need based financial aid. BA uses a firm in the New England area that determines eligibility and it is 100% determined by the families ability to pay. This firm does not know anything other than the finances of the prospective student's family. They do not know race, athletic ability, big, small, fast or slow - just the numbers. This is not my opinion. I know this to be true.

Try this definition from Wikipedia: Student financial aid refers to funding intended to help students pay education expenses including tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies, etc. for education at a college, university, or private school. General governmental funding for public education is not called financial aid, which refers to awards to specific individual students. A scholarship is sometimes used as a synonym for a financial aid award.

Need based financial aid isn't generally referred to as a scholarship? So AD's and school administrators from private schools around the state have no influence on whose financial disclosure forms get sent to Princeton NJ (NJ isn't in New England) to determine whether they qualify for financial aid? Oh, please! Surely you're not that naive. My kids all went to private schools and I know that in the admissions process academic as well as athletic potential can be and regularly is considered. For that matter so is artistic tallent. If you're telling me that BA regularly ends up with a disproportionate number of DI one athletes on its football team through blind chance, you're either delusional or taking illegal substances. I have never accused BA of illegal recruiting. The success of its football team attracts athletes. But a large fast child who can pass the entrance requirements and whose parents can't afford the school will have and better chance of being encouraged to send financial forms to Princeton than a small slow poor child. I have no proof other than speculation that there are few or no small slow poor children with financial aid on BA's football team but there are and have been large fast poor children with financial aid on the team.

Your comments reveal that you are simply ignorant about the way the financial aid system works. The apparent fact is that you are either too lazy or too blinded to do the research. I gave up trying to educate people on CoachT some time ago, and do not intend to restart now.

My amplification of KWoodruff's points speak for themselves. Try adding to a conversation rather than making a fool of yourself.

I've seen the sausage get made. I'm not "simply ignorant"; you're simply naive. If don't believe Carlton Flatt and now Ralph Potter or other ADs had or have no influence on whose financial package is sent to Princeton for assesment, you're simply ignorant.

Try this definition from Wikipedia: Student financial aid refers to funding intended to help students pay education expenses including tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies, etc. for education at a college, university, or private school. General governmental funding for public education is not called financial aid, which refers to awards to specific individual students. A scholarship is sometimes used as a synonym for a financial aid award.

Need based financial aid isn't generally referred to as a scholarship? So AD's and school administrators from private schools around the state have no influence on whose financial disclosure forms get sent to Princeton NJ (NJ isn't in New England) to determine whether they qualify for financial aid? Oh, please! Surely you're not that naive. My kids all went to private schools and I know that in the admissions process academic as well as athletic potential can be and regularly is considered. For that matter so is artistic tallent. If you're telling me that BA regularly ends up with a disproportionate number of DI one athletes on its football team through blind chance, you're either delusional or taking illegal substances. I have never accused BA of illegal recruiting. The success of its football team attracts athletes. But a large fast child who can pass the entrance requirements and whose parents can't afford the school will have and better chance of being encouraged to send financial forms to Princeton than a small slow poor child. I have no proof other than speculation that there are few or no small slow poor children with financial aid on BA's football team but there are and have been large fast poor children with financial aid on the team.

could you please site your source? Which child/family? While you have no proof of the "small, slow poor children" you apparently do have proof of the "large, fast poor children".

Your comment is so insulting to the young men and women who attend any private school and receive financial aid. Do you realize that each family receiving financial aid must pay a minimum of 20% of the total tuition? As a parent of BA students, my tuition bill this year is $32,000+...while not affluent, we are making sacrifices to pay the tuition because we believe in the school's mission. I site this fact just because I have proof of the numbers...with tuition at 16,000+, the financial aid recipient's (large, fast poor children) parents are still paying at a minimum $3,000-$4,000 per year. I believe that is admirable, considering that they are "poor".

You, I'm sure, have proof of wealthy alums paying the additional 20% tuition due, or probably providing free housing and moving expenses for the "large, fast poor children" whose parents can't afford to, while the "small, slow poor children" remain in their small homes, far away from the school, unable to attend.

I think that scholarship has more of a "merit" overtone and need based has more of a "need" overtone. Before you go reading the dictionary or your Encyclopedia that is my impression of the terms and I believe they are different.

Why do you imply that USA is naive, if you admit that you do not have proof yourself? I am glad to read that you admit to having no proof. Which pretty much makes your post a rambling rant.

I scanned your novel in hopes that you were going to introduce some facts. Nothing...hey wait a minute. Here is something. You said that the financial disclosure forms are sent to Princeton, NJ and took the time to correct me about New England - thanks. I wasn't really sure, which is why I said New England area (should have said, Northeast - my bad). I am not as handy with Wikipedia as you are. Hey, wait a minute. I guess you aren't sure either. The BA website says Pittsburgh, PA. Darned, I thought you introduced an honest to goodness fact.

http://www.brentwoodacademy.com/page.cfm?p=23

Just messing with you.

One of the more high profile kids transfered back in the spring or near the end of last semester. His dad was quoted in the paper as saying it was a business decision (meaning that his son would get more exposure there). While they have denied it, people close to the situation have said that grades were a major issue. The rest have taken flight this summer.

Olive Branch has produced some high profile recruits (most of them who have transfered to OB from Memphis area schools) lately and I think that is sparked a little interest. First, it is an opportunity to transfer to a nearby school without having to sit out. Upgraded facilities by FedEx founder Fred Smith (his son transfered there his senior year) have to help, plus they are adding a artificial field (should note that CBHS already had that though). Beyond that, there is a rumor (i say rumor because I cant say for sure but those that I have heard this from are very reliable) that a wealthy OB parent who is in the building/developing business who may be making it really lucrative for kid to relocate. OB has been a really good team for the past few years, but has failed to make a major break through due to their inability to beat nationally ranked South Panola. It seems like they are trying their best to find a way to be the team to end the South Panola win streak.

I could understand a transfer from a memphis city school to OB for exposure if the kids was good enough. But from CBHS to OB is not that much of a jump. CBHS always fields playoff caliber teams and has had their share of D1 players over the past several years (Walker and Ligon come to mind, plus a few that escape me at the moment).

There was one player who was barely getting looked at playing for CBHS and then he goes to Olive Branch and has said his recruitment is picking up rapidly. I don't think this will be there year they beat South Panola.

Guys, this thread, as indicated by the title, was meant to be for discussion of the game only. If you want to debate financial aid policy at DII schools, then please start another thread focusing on financial aid procedures. Thanks.

Quite right...so back to the point. If I had to bet the pension on one horse, it would be BA. They have a number of starters returning from a very good team. The program is always solid, and the addition of Floyd Elliott as DC can only help improve ab already solid group.

I hope MBA matures quickly against Antioch and Moeller, but the sensible bet right now is BA.

Quite right...so back to the point. If I had to bet the pension on one horse, it would be BA. They have a number of starters returning from a very good team. The program is always solid, and the addition of Floyd Elliott as DC can only help improve ab already solid group.

I hope MBA matures quickly against Antioch and Moeller, but the sensible bet right now is BA.

If BA has developed any kind of consistent passing game, I agree they will be very tough to beat.

I would only differ from your assumption of a big upgrade at the DC spot. Mickey Jacobs, who had been running the defense for the Eagles, was no slouch himself. 5 years as the Vanderbilt DL/LB coach (when they were actually pretty good!) is not bad experience for a high school coach. He will be miissed.

I felt pretty confident last year. I still feel that BA had the talent to beat MBA last year. However, the talent was close and the MBA team executed everything so well. Especially their line. The big hope, this year, would be that our talent on the line can overwhelm that great execution and more importantly, we can develop a passing game.