CAK vs Boyd

HSfootball54

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I listened to some of the broadcast online and the radio announcers were talking about how CAK were taking some cheap shots late after the whistle. In fact, they said one player for CAK got ejected and then at the end when Boyd's QB was taking a knee to run the clock out someone from CAK gave him "a forearm to the head".

I'm sure there are two sides to this story but the Boyd announcers were pretty emphatic about how CAK played not so classy.

For those who were there, what's the story?

First, there is no excuse for what the CAK DB did. It was on the home sideline so I didn't get a good look at it. Regardless of what justification he may have thought he had, it was wrong and a stupid play. It was essentially another turnover as it would have been 4th down / punt. I believe the rule is that since he was ejected he can't play next week either. Good kid, good player, but very disappointing from a senior 2 year starter.

The shot on the QB taking a knee I saw very differently. At the snap, the player came through the line hard trying to disrupt the play and cause a turnover. The QB took a knee literally a fraction of a second before the player got there. The defensive player was already past the point of no return before the QB took the knee. I can see why the refs called it, but it was not a malicious play; just a player trying a last ditch effort to make a play. Had he been a fraction of a second earlier, I'm not sure that it wouldn't have worked. One thing you hear over and over about CAK is they never give up.

As far as the game: Boyd was really impressive. They came out really ready to play and honestly we didn't look ready. Our defense was essentially non existant on the first drive. I think it took some time for our guys to adjust to the size and strength of their team. The QB Hughes was very impressive both physically (6-3 215?) and his execution. After the first Boyd score (took 2:30), one of CAK's backs took a short kick off and fumbled. This put the CAK defense right back on the field, and Boyd punched it right in making it 14-0. The other Boyd score came off an interception deep in CAK territory which the db ran back for a TD.

After the first long and second short drives, CAK did a much better job getting the Boyd offense stopped. I was impressed that our defense made the adjustment, and looked like a different defense after the 1st quarter. On offense, CAK showed flashes of what we saw in 7 on 7 and scrimmages. The 1st start for Fromke, QB, looked very good overall, but I think it showed that it was 14-0 before he took the first snap and I think early on he had a little trouble settling down. He made some very nice deep throws and the CAK receivers played great overall and continued to get behind the Boyd defense. Boyd's defense was very tough, especially their linebackers. The second half mostly belonged to CAK, but IMO it came down to 5 turnovers and a blocked punt that was just too much for them to overcome. CAK came VERY close to coming back to tie it up. The Boyd offense with around 6:30 to go got the ball back, and Hughes QB who had left earlier with cramps led a gutsy time consuming drive that cost CAK all 3 timeouts and started them deep in CAK territory with a little less than 2 min. The final nail was a fumbled snap that resulted in another turnover attempting to spike the ball around mid field.

Overall, I thought CAK looked very good excluding the first quarter and a horrible game of turnovers. I don't expect this to continue though, as it was not a problem in preseason or last year. Just one of those nights. Boyd looked very good. I now believe they have every opportunity to win their region.

The concessions and atmosphere at Boyd were top notch and we really enjoyed ourselves (minus the 1st quarter LOL.)

Powersweep I don't base how a whole teams class is by 1 player. That DB had been doing a lot of talking the whole game to the point of where he got ejected. But there was a lot of helping each other up and CAK players helping Boyd players with there cramps whenever they went down. CAK has always been a classy bunch, in all sports. I won't let 1 player change that. I hope we keep this game going with CAK. Next year I know will be weird with the new regions, but it would be great to get CAK in the schedule somehow. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

From my point of view, the last cheap shot looked pretty malicious. Our QB was already on the knee, and the O and D lines were just barely going through the motions, understanding that the QB was taking a knee. 10 other players for CAK did what was right...this one hot head just couldn't control his frustration. He's lucky he wasn't ejected as well.

I listened to some of the broadcast online and the radio announcers were talking about how CAK were taking some cheap shots late after the whistle. In fact, they said one player for CAK got ejected and then at the end when Boyd's QB was taking a knee to run the clock out someone from CAK gave him "a forearm to the head".

I'm sure there are two sides to this story but the Boyd announcers were pretty emphatic about how CAK played not so classy.

For those who were there, what's the story?

I don't think there was anything malicious about the QB hit, but I do believe the officials made the right call. Malicious would have been driving the QB to the ground or leading with his helmet etc... There didn't seem to be any intent to cause harm, simply hope for a turnover. Fans, parents, coaches and announcers will all be sensitive to their QB or other player for that matter, including CAK's. So comments or accusations of this kind are common and understandable in the heat of competition. CAK has a class program and I trust that most Buc fans would agree. Congrats again to Boyd. Not the prettiest of games but certainly exciting. Good luck this season.

I was impressed with the young lads from Boyd in this game. I also thought it was uncalled for that CAK player to take a shot at the Boyd QB like that at the end of the game. The biggest disappointment of the night for me was I could never find my buddy Reaction. I kept looking for that patented backwards Michigan hat, but could never spot him. Reaction, you have some explaining to do to "The Legend" Hopefully I can see you in a few weeks at David Baxter Stadium when the Bucs come to Jasper.

I was impressed with the young lads from Boyd in this game. I also thought it was uncalled for that CAK player to take a shot at the Boyd QB like that at the end of the game. The biggest disappointment of the night for me was I could never find my buddy Reaction. I kept looking for that patented backwards Michigan hat, but could never spot him. Reaction, you have some explaining to do to "The Legend" Hopefully I can see you in a few weeks at David Baxter Stadium when the Bucs come to Jasper.

Reaction will try to make it to Jasper. I was standing with a few other Boyd Buc legends for most of the game. I was showing off my new haircut that us legends get with the gold clippers, so I did not have the white michigan hat on. But from here on out, the white backwards hat will be worn.

A little defense for the radio broadcast guys. All they said was that it was a late hit and that the player was lucky he didn't get ejected. They did not say anything about CAK not being classy. They had nothing but praise for the CAK program. It was a great high school football game between two really good teams. Great doesn't mean it was pretty. Both teams made a ton of mistakes.

As to reaction ( I think it was him, not sure) being disappointed in what he saw from the Bucs not unleashing Hughes, let me say this. I was on the sideline and talked to Nic a time or two and he couldn't run. He had a hard time dropping back for a while. His cramps hindered him from doing anything but handoff until the last drive. With Nick out for 2 - 3 possessions in the second half, all we could do is run it. You are not going to let a sophomore with no experience throw the football too many times. The one time he did could have been intercepted and then on fourth down deep in CAK territory, he took about a 20 yard sack which gave CAK great field position. He should have thrown it away. My point is that a sophomore, who will be a good player, with no experience can't be asked to run the offense that Boyd wants to run with Nic in the game. I don't think the Boyd offense in the second half is the real offense because they were severely limited. How many series did Nic play in the second half? I think maybe 3 including the final drive which he led them down the field and ran and passed when needed. Anyway, just some random thoughts. I think it was a huge win to start the season and gave the Bucs plenty of things to work on!

A little defense for the radio broadcast guys. All they said was that it was a late hit and that the player was lucky he didn't get ejected. They did not say anything about CAK not being classy. They had nothing but praise for the CAK program. It was a great high school football game between two really good teams. Great doesn't mean it was pretty. Both teams made a ton of mistakes.

As to reaction ( I think it was him, not sure) being disappointed in what he saw from the Bucs not unleashing Hughes, let me say this. I was on the sideline and talked to Nic a time or two and he couldn't run. He had a hard time dropping back for a while. His cramps hindered him from doing anything but handoff until the last drive. With Nick out for 2 - 3 possessions in the second half, all we could do is run it. You are not going to let a sophomore with no experience throw the football too many times. The one time he did could have been intercepted and then on fourth down deep in CAK territory, he took about a 20 yard sack which gave CAK great field position. He should have thrown it away. My point is that a sophomore, who will be a good player, with no experience can't be asked to run the offense that Boyd wants to run with Nic in the game. I don't think the Boyd offense in the second half is the real offense because they were severely limited. How many series did Nic play in the second half? I think maybe 3 including the final drive which he led them down the field and ran and passed when needed. Anyway, just some random thoughts. I think it was a huge win to start the season and gave the Bucs plenty of things to work on!

I understand where your coming from. And I know that when Nic was out, we shouldn't air it out with a sophomore back up. But was Nic cramping in the 2nd quarter? I just feel we could of put more points up in the 1st half if we threw it more. Speaking of cramps, what did they put in the water last night. We were dropping like flies. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />