Oak Hill Academy

redfan

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The real reason is because several basketball players from Tennessee have left the state to play at Oak Hill. It is plain and simple, if you cant beat them then just don't play them. The coaches and adminstrators in Tennessee got the rules changed for just Oak Hill. What a joke, just go to work!!!!!

Oak Hill, in case anyone didn't know, is located in the state of Virginia. Technically, I don't even think they're a high school--they have many players play for them after graduating from high school. (They call themselves a "prep school.") Even the private organizations in VA won't have them (the main league is public-only because the University of Virginia set it up, and to admit privates would make them a beneficiary of public funds, a no-no there.)

Considering the circumstances, I think the TSSAA made a legitimate call on that one.

How is a TN team violating those rules by playing Oak Hill...the TN team (lets say school TN) doesn't have anybody that is 19, or has graduated?

There are a lot of college teams that play professional teams for exhibition games, High Five America, Athletes in Action, Harlem Globetrotters, Australian National Team etc.

How does that hurt the TSSAA schools to schedule those teams?

Could they not even scrimmage them?

Just because Oak Hill doesn't go under TSSAA doesn't mean anything, you could play a MPSAA if you wanted to and the TSSAA might not recognize it as a regular game, but that doesn't matter does it?

Posted by TheEgoHasLanded:

That makes more sense, thanks ELA.

But is it illegal to scrimmage a AAU team or a junior college team in basketball?

Yes, it is. However, they may play an alumni game. The only competition allowed against collegians is a dual meet against a freshman team in any non-contact sport other than bowling (which I presume is an oversight, and that if anyone requested it, bowling would be added to that rule). You can find it on page 21 of the handbook.

Posted by TheEgoHasLanded:

That makes more sense, thanks ELA.

But is it illegal to scrimmage a AAU team or a junior college team in basketball?

I think the PIE MAN is right! I do know of at least two high school coaches who have gotten in trouble playing AAU travel teams! :o

Posted by redfan:

Then if it is so obvious that Oak Hill is like a 13th or 14th grade in school why would USA Today rank them in their national polls and select their coach as National Coach of the Year???????????

They are one of about two dozen school across the country that play outside of the norms of high school sports. Virginia coaches tell me they recruit from all across the area and pick up talent from a variety of sources (private, public schools, etc.). When every school in the state refuses to play them it should tell you something. I really don't understand the reason for this thread. It is really simple, follow the rules, don't play them... end of discussion. :(