Teams that have declined

MakoRevised

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not so sure that i would put powell or halls in that mix. both were in the playoffs last year and i cannot remember the last time halls was not in the playoffs. over at maryville we have a healthy respect for both of these teams.

Hall's use to have a program that could compete with any team on a yearly basis, not just a playoff team.

Hall's weightlifting program was possibly the best in the high school ranks at one time in late 80's. 9-1, 10-0 was the norm then, not 4-6, 5-5, 5-5,

Uhhhh, Are you certain Rhea was in quarterfinals the last 2 years? Anyway, Rhea was SMACKED BADLY last year to a good single A team in Boyd Bucanon who beat them by 40 points or so. If that's not a decline for a once AAAA power, then I dont know what is. A single A team beating a AAAA tema by that margin.. What was the final score anyway? 62-20 or something.. Decline

I am sure they were in the quarters the last 2 years. Lost at Maryville both years. Beat Powell and East Ridge on the road last year. Beat Anderson Co. by 40 and Won at Knox Central the year before to get to the Quarters. Beat Cleveland 2 out of the last three years. So they won the region 3 years ago and have played longer than anyone in their region the last 2 years. So what if they lost to Boyd the first game of the year. In high school football it's not how you start it is how you finish!

Sequatchie-made it to the third round/quarterfinals in 1988, 1989, 1990, 1993, 1995, 1996-since then one playoff win (1997) one other playoff appearance (2000 lost to Goodpasture in 1st round). I expect things may be a little better this year but without a top 2 finish it's an almost automatic trip to Lipscomb or Goodpasture in the 1st round.

Marion County and Cleveland.

Marion County was the most dominant 3A team of the 90s. They were awesome! They ran the veer offense to perfection. I saw them in 95. Eric Westmoreland and company impressed the heck out of me.They were well coached. Losing Ken Colquette hurt that program.

Cleveland used to be the most feared 4A team in the state when Benny Monroe was coaching there. Cleveland had great athletes and were well coached when Monroe was there. Losing Monroe hurt that program.

Those 2 teams are still good teams but they are nowhere close to being as good as they used to be.

Both teams lost great coaches. Monroe learned his coaching from Ted Wilson. He was an assistant on Maryville's 1970 state title team. Who did Maryville beat that year? Cleveland.

Blueboy, the year we had 2 losses, we went to the Clinic Bowl. NOT TOO BAD! The year we had 3 losses we made it to the quarter-finals. NOT TOO BAD! Yes we did have a down year last year, what team hasn't had a down year? Tiger Woods shot an 81 last week in the British Open, who woulda thunk it? ALL teams have good years and down years, it's a fact of life. One down year DOES NOT constitute a decline.

[Edited by iamoz on 7-31-02 10:30P]

McGuy, those players that took you to the Clinic Bowl and Quarter Finals are all Graduated. I don't think that Moore County has enough quality players with game experence nor good enough coaching to win many games. Moore County has several young players that might make a difference later. I hope that I am wrong but thats the way I see it.