Teams that have declined

MakoRevised

In 1996 St. Benedict went all the way to the Class A state finals. From 95,96, 97 these teams were consistently in the Shelby Metro Dandy Dozen...and in most cases a head of schools like Houston, Whitehaven, Collierville, MUS, and occassionally a Germantown.

I rememeber seeing them beat Harding Academy in 96 14-0 on their way to state. Since that time Harding has beaten SBA by over 30 points in the last 4 years, including a few shutouts. Two years ago SBA didn't win a game, and an article was published in the Commercial Appeal in regards to how bad the program had gotten. The fans would cheer if SBA crossed the 50, or if they even got a first down...winning was never in question. This year SBA also failed to win a region/district game. So for the last two years SBA has not won a region game, and I really don't think they won a region game 3 years ago, losses would have been to Harding, Fayette, SBEC, Briarcrest, and ECS. They really don't even have a Catholic rival any more...CBHS is head and shoulders better then them, and Bishop Byrne pounds them in football and basketball, despite having probably 150 people less then SBA.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guitarman, where do you get your facts? Marion County will be a very much improved team than the 6-4 last year. To whoever said that losing Colquette hurt the program. Do you know what his record was the year that he left? I do, it was 5-6. Sounds like the decline had already begun. Look to the facts before making conclusions. As for Indian, look at the lack of talent, size, guts, ect from the players. the coach before the current one ran the program into the dirt. Discipline and hard work has now been reinstalled. What out for the Indians this year, they may surprise some people.

I think things should be improved too, but Tyner will be better, Polk and Tellico should be as least as good as last year, Marion should be better, Bledsoe who knows, and Meigs shouldn't drop much if any even though they lost some good players. Add that to a non-region schedule of East Ridge, South Pittsburg, Grundy and Whitwell (which I don't think will be as good as last year but they're probably no longer a pushover) and a winning record won't come easy. Anyway the thread was teams that have declined and they are a program that clearly has (hopefully that can change to "had" this year).

Your right that the decline started before Colquitte left. I think he saw the writing on the wall that the talent was drying up and wanted out. I also think that because of some other circumstances going on that he may not have been fully focused on football his last year there.

And no, I dont think Marion will be much better than they were last year. As I've said before, I live in Chattanooga. I'm not from here and have no real team to pull for, but I do love high school sports and I've followed it in this area for along time. If I'm in town I allways try to find a game to go to. I've got friends in Jasper and South Pittsburgh and have been to games in both towns. I love the valley and would love nothing more than to see Marion at least get back to respectability. However, with Meigs and Tyner in the same region, I just don't see it happening. Championships aren't decided on internet message boards so let's tee it up and get on!

I think the Halls program may have slipped a little bit, but not as much as you lead one to believe. No longer does Halls play the soft schedule of years past. No Gibbs, no Karns, no Campbell Co. The region they play in 3-AAAA, has been represented in the big game every year since 93 except 95. I don't know about the weight program, but I do know they don't recruit players to Halls like the previous coach. Example, if my info is correct you can't transfer into their school without living in their zone.

Look at what Halls former coach is doing at ACHS, good teams competing in the play-offs, but check their roster & see how many are from other schools (last year Price twins). Now granted I do not know a great deal about either program, but when you ask people in Knoxville if Halls is down, most tell me they can still cause you many problems. If other posts are correct they are the only team in that region to be in the play-offs the last 7 years. Have no idea what this year will bring but when I looked at their schedule this year they play 3 5A schools & 1 3A school

(that next year will be 4A).

• 1 month later...
Posted by ekimhat:

Unfortunately, as a Clinton alum, I have to admit that the Dragons have been on a downward spiral since Jim Gaylor left four years ago.

In '92 this school was in the Clinic Bowl and five years ago it was a perennial playoff team. Now Clinton is stuck in a 3-7 rut and interest has taken a major hit.

-----------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately, I'm not surprised. Coach Gaylor resurrected a mediocre Clinton program that had been down since Ken Honea's teams (late 60's early 70's, when I was in school) More interest is generated in the cheerleading squads and band than football. BUT, one bright spot, their basketball team is decent.

;):o