To Cumberland Co. folks in charge

coach763

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have a timeline on when the Cumberland Co. BOE announces the cancellation of football games (high school and middle school) /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> ?

It is going to cost the school district more money in the long run. If they cancel their season the school system will end up paying for five games each school (10 games overall) for lost ticket revenue at 10 schools. If you figure each contract is worth $5000 or more, you are talking about $50,000 in costs plus the legal fees associated with the lawsuits. Only in public education could something like this happen! Do the county commissioners really want to see this happen? Don't they know people will vote them out of office for much less than this crap?

Better yet when do they have to PAY the TSSAA for the forfeits and has anyone told the voters there about how much it is gonna cost the county when they do?

What is the timeline for the TSSAA to make a decision on how long or how many games they have to miss before they(TSSAA) takes action.

This problem did not pop up overnight. The school board was aware at a meeting in May that revenues were down, though not by how much. Responsible officials would have acted at that time creating plans for the upcoming year. The problem should have been resolved long before August.

Nothing has changed in the last 100+ years.

" God made the idiot for practice, then he made the school board " - Mark Twain

Idiots were good practice for the TSSAA if they don't let these kids transfer.

I wish someone on the board in Cumberland County could read this.(it doesn't look like they are doing much so it wouldn't surprise me if they were) Because you and your fellow colleagues are disgraceful. You should fix the problem and then have a clean sweep of all local officials responsible for this. This has to garner national attention for the local village idiots responsible for this.

Last night they(the BOE & County Comm) had more meetings. STILL NO SCHOOL!!! I heard that there was a interview with Lynn Tollett- county comm. and Aarona Vanwinkle - Dir. of school on the local radio station yesterday. Some local parent called and said the the children are our future and we most raise our taxes to to fund our schools, his reply was, "we have spent enough already, there will be no tax increase". This is not a quote, but he said something along this line. I would bet Mr. Tollett has no kids in the system!! or he has a large parcel of land he does not want to pay taxes on.

Last night they(the BOE & County Comm) had more meetings. STILL NO SCHOOL!!! I heard that there was a interview with Lynn Tollett- county comm. and Aarona Vanwinkle - Dir. of school on the local radio station yesterday. Some local parent called and said the the children are our future and we most raise our taxes to to fund our schools, his reply was, "we have spent enough already, there will be no tax increase". This is not a quote, but he said something along this line. I would bet Mr. Tollett has no kids in the system!! or he has a large parcel of land he does not want to pay taxes on.

http://www.borowatch.com/ada_stats_05_06.html

For the 2005-2006 school year, Cumberland County was 120th out of 137 Tennessee schools systems in spending per student:

120 CUMBERLAND COUNTY 6,766 43,113,555 $6,372

Rutherford County was...

109 RUTHERFORD COUNTY 31,071 201,492,655 $6,485

Top 5?

1 *FRANKLIN 3,648 37,847,798 $10,374

2 OAK RIDGE 4,130 41,941,872 $10,155

3 ALCOA 1,414 13,090,011 $9,258

4 DAVIDSON COUNTY 66,631 615,605,830 $9,239

5 KINGSPORT 6,039 52,599,935 $8,709

From WATE in Knoxville

CROSSVILLE (WATE) -- After voting down 10 proposals Monday night, Cumberland County commissioners came to an agreement on what to give the school fund.

Commissioners voted to give the schools three cents out of its debt service fund. That keeps the property tax rate the same as last year, at 41 cents.

The approval doesn't mean schools are open. School board members haven't set their budget for the year.

The only action taken Monday night by the board was to allow school sports teams to resume practices, but not competitions.

Director of Schools Aarona Van Winkle says the decision by county commissioners means the schools will still have to cut the school budget by $5 million.

She describes the situation as "really frustrating."

"This means we will likely have to cut programs," she said. "It just doesn't seem fair to the students."

"It's absurd. I think it's insulting that this is the most county commissioners think we deserve," said Dean Steeble, a school parent.

The three cents increase was only a working number to allow school board members an opportunity to start figuring their budget. It still needs final approval by the budget committee.

The school board will meet again Thursday at 5:00 p.m. at Stone Memorial High School to discuss the budget.

From WATE in Knoxville

CROSSVILLE (WATE) -- After voting down 10 proposals Monday night, Cumberland County commissioners came to an agreement on what to give the school fund.

Commissioners voted to give the schools three cents out of its debt service fund. That keeps the property tax rate the same as last year, at 41 cents.

The approval doesn't mean schools are open. School board members haven't set their budget for the year.

The only action taken Monday night by the board was to allow school sports teams to resume practices, but not competitions.

Director of Schools Aarona Van Winkle says the decision by county commissioners means the schools will still have to cut the school budget by $5 million.

She describes the situation as "really frustrating."

"This means we will likely have to cut programs," she said. "It just doesn't seem fair to the students."

"It's absurd. I think it's insulting that this is the most county commissioners think we deserve," said Dean Steeble, a school parent.

The three cents increase was only a working number to allow school board members an opportunity to start figuring their budget. It still needs final approval by the budget committee.

The school board will meet again Thursday at 5:00 p.m. at Stone Memorial High School to discuss the budget.

The only thing they can do is cut programs, teachers, and new hires. If I was a first year teacher in Cumberland County I would be looking for work right now! You probably will not have a job next week. If I were the parent of a student in cumberland County I would be starting a recall petition to remove some county commissioners from their positions!