KWC Where are you?

Galilee

Still waiting

Sorry for the wait Galilee, I've been out of pocket. I didn't attend any of the Jamborees so I didn't get to see what was going on with any of the teams. I haven't been around any of my familiar youth football league coaches so I don't have a feel for much as to date. I have a person who is a Mitchell alumni who is excited about what's going on over there and you can't blame him ... Mitchell is loaded. I can say this however ... when Tim Thompson got fired at Ridgeway ... there was a definite ripple affect in the city schools. Olive Branch is a place where players are going to play as well without sitting out a year ... ergo the RB from CBHS going over there to play. Otherwise ... I don't have much to contribute. I've heard some folks say Melrose is down, I've heard others say they have a good team ... we will see. I have been told that the twins left Melrose and now play for Mitchell. (I have not seen the twins play ... I've just heard stories about them) From what I've been told ... they aren't tall, but are fast as lightning.

That being said ... I will just have to wait and see like everybody else. I will NOT go to the Bridges Kick-Off Classic (Covington vs. Ridgeway @ 10AM, St. Georges vs. BTW @ 1PM, CBHS vs. Whitestation @ 4PM, MUS vs. Melrose @ 7PM) because I will be at the Whitehaven Classic. I will give you a report of the teams that I watch participate in this event. (Hamilton vs. Hillcrest @ 3PM, Fairley vs. Westwood @ 5:30 PM, and Whitehaven vs. Mitchell @ 8PM)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Melrose is down...or so it APPEARS, at this point, RebelRon.

I have to believe Kenny Ingram leaving that program has hurt them big time. Melrose was by far the most athletic team Maryville played under the Quarles era. The only other teams I could compare that Melrose team to was the 93,94 Cleveland teams,Pearl Cohn 97,Austin East 86 and Alcoa 89.

KWC,

Mitchell and Whitehaven will be a good one. Having a new QB in a game this ig may be the diffrence in the game. If he can just manage the game and let his weapons make plays Mitchell could have a chance.

Galilee, You can take that Long Ranger mask off because ... in the words of 'Tontoe' ... "Ummmm ... Whitehaven has new QB as well! ... Ummmmm!"

LOL ... how did you like my Tontoe impression? ... LOL

But I digress and agree ... this is going to be a good one. I think people underestimate Mitchell because they are 3A ... and that is a BIG BIG mistake. Mitchell is Legit! They can play with ANYBODY. It just so happens that Whitehaven can play with anybody as well. Since Whitehaven is 5A ... we are expected to win ... but that's a dangerous assumption. Mitchell beating Melrose and CBHS last year were not flukes. I see where Mitchell is traveling back to Mobile Alabama to play Daphne again this year. My hat is off to your old schools scheduling of non-region opponents. You guys take on Whitehaven (5A), then Melrose (4A), then Daphne (6A ... ?), then Fairley (4A). Quite frankly ... That should be murders row for any other 3A team ... not a cupcake in the bunch. Then later on in the season you play another monster of a team for a 3A school in CBHS (D-2, AAA). You guys don't duck ANYBODY! All I can say is ... WHEW! ... and ... DOUBLE WHEW!!

Here is the thing ... Mitchell has the talent to beat all of those teams ... Mitchell's problem will be depth as is always the case when a smaller division school plays a larger one. I've seen your sidelines though ... Mitchell has a BIG program as far as 3A teams go. I'm penciling Mitchel in for the semi-finals in 3A for sure. Depending on how your QB develops and injuries ... Mitchell should be contending for the state tittle in my opinion. I think Mitchell is that loaded.

I have to believe Kenny Ingram leaving that program has hurt them big time. Melrose was by far the most athletic team Maryville played under the Quarles era. The only other teams I could compare that Melrose team to was the 93,94 Cleveland teams,Pearl Cohn 97,Austin East 86 and Alcoa 89.

RR:

The jury is still out on how that team will be this year. I personally think they will be good again this year. Their defense will again be good. They just hired this extremely old guy as the head coach ... we will see as the year develops because they face MUS right out of the gate. With their senior QB comming back ... I don't see them as being inept offensively ... but we will see.

KWC,

When I put that schedule together two ago people called me crazy. My chain of thought was that 7-3A was far ahead of 8-3A. In order to be ready for the playoffs we needed a tough regular season schedule. Our program has come a long way and I am proud where we are. That made it a lot easier for me to move to Pittsburgh. We are at the point now where athletes in all sports want to come to Mitchell. What is so special ia that we only have 5 SR starters. The principal has already asked me to assist with scheduling for the next two years.

RR:

The jury is still out on how that team will be this year. I personally think they will be good again this year. Their defense will again be good. They just hired this extremely old guy as the head coach ... we will see as the year develops because they face MUS right out of the gate. With their senior QB comming back ... I don't see them as being inept offensively ... but we will see.

Do you see melrose winnin the region this year or could fairly sneak in there. I heard fairly was loaded. I hope to see both teams play us in the playoffs.

KWC,

I agree that that jury is still out on Melrose, but I will say this with certainty and confidence:

If Melrose's lackluster Jamboree performance vs lowly Ridgeway is any barometer, then Melrose will stuggle (by Melrose standards) mightly this year. They easily look like a 4-loss team, all the way! In all my years of attending these Jamborees, I have NEVER seen a Melrose team look this average/so-so (perhaps they rested all their starters?)!

The old guy that you referred to...isn't that Coach Alexander, whom they hired TWO seasons ago, or have they since hired someone else?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One last note, Kwc...

I automatically assumed that your Whiteahaven Tigers would drop off a notch, from last year's stellar team, given they lost many key performers to Graduation. Based on the comments you made, earlier....are you telling me that the Tigers have simply RELOADED and seriously figure to be just as good as they were last year?

If so, all I can say is WOW! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Man, I sure hate that I'm gonna miss the Whitehaven Classic this weekend. I'm gonna be at the Bridges Classic, as usual... Perhaps you could come back to CoachT, after the game, and give us your assestment of all the teams--especially Whitehaven.

Good luck vs Mitchell.

KWC,

I agree that that jury is still out on Melrose, but I will say this with certainty and confidence:

If Melrose's lackluster Jamboree performance vs lowly Ridgeway is any barometer, then Melrose will stuggle (by Melrose standards) mightly this year. They easily look like a 4-loss team, all the way! In all my years of attending these Jamborees, I have NEVER seen a Melrose team look this average/so-so (perhaps they rested all their starters?)!

The old guy that you referred to...isn't that Coach Alexander, whom they hired TWO seasons ago, or have they since hired someone else?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One last note, Kwc...

I automatically assumed that your Whiteahaven Tigers would drop off a notch, from last year's stellar team, given they lost many key performers to Graduation. Based on the comments you made, earlier....are you telling me that the Tigers have simply RELOADED and seriously figure to be just as good as they were last year?

If so, all I can say is WOW! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Man, I sure hate that I'm gonna miss the Whitehaven Classic this weekend. I'm gonna be at the Bridges Classic, as usual... Perhaps you could come back to CoachT, after the game, and give us your assestment of all the teams--especially Whitehaven.

Good luck vs Mitchell.

The jury is out on Melrose this year. It looks like the defense will be really good but the offense has been revamped.

After the struggles of the offense for much of last year, I have concerns as to how well the team deals with the adjustments.

As some of you may know, there was a house fire in Orange Mound a few days ago that claimed the lives of seven. This was the family of one of the Melrose wide receivers, which received 2nd degree burns and is still in the hospital. The neighborhood and the team are really struggling as a result.

The services for the 7 are going to be held at the school on Saturday, which is the same day as the Melrose vs. MUS football game. I don't know how the kids can concentrate on the game.

Before it is all over, I think the demise of Melrose football is exaggerated. As long as the defense brings the wood as expected, they will have to be dealt with and can stay in games.

Mitchell should be very good. Whitehaven lost a lot of ballers but has an abundant pool of players to choose from. They were always a sleeping giant and now appears to be waking up. Fairley will be strong again also.

OrangeMoundWest.

KWC,

One last note, Kwc...

Good luck vs Mitchell.

The jury is out on Melrose this year. It looks like the defense will be really good but the offense has been revamped.

After the struggles of the offense for much of last year, I have concerns as to how well the team deals with the adjustments.

As some of you may know, there was a house fire in Orange Mound a few days ago that claimed the lives of seven. This was the family of one of the Melrose wide receivers, which received 2nd degree burns and is still in the hospital. The neighborhood and the team are really struggling as a result.

The services for the 7 are going to be held at the school on Saturday, which is the same day as the Melrose vs. MUS football game. I don't know how the kids can concentrate on the game.

Before it is all over, I think the demise of Melrose football is exaggerated. As long as the defense brings the wood as expected, they will have to be dealt with and can stay in games.

Mitchell should be very good. Whitehaven lost a lot of ballers but has an abundant pool of players to choose from. They were always a sleeping giant and now appears to be waking up. Fairley will be strong again also.

OrangeMoundWest.

OrangeMoundWest.

Orangemoundwest - prayers go out to the family and the team during this tragedy. Your friends up in Henry County are thinking of you.

OrangeMoundWest.

OrangeMoundWest.

OMW:

Good to see you ... How is your son getting acclimated to playing D-1 football out in Texas. I forsee many a weekend roadtrip for you!

I've heard that Melrose's 'D' is stout as usual. I can't think that the 'O' will be that bad off because of the returning skill position players @ QB and RB. Tramarcu Toney is only going to get BETTER. Now ... his WR is the big question ... But I don't think they are going to suffer offensively either. They are like everybody else ... young.

I know Kingsbury will be good and Fairley as well. I'm wondering about EAST. It's been a year since the turmoil ... They have plenty of room for growth. I haven't heard anything about them ... it's like they fell off of the map ... but there are WAY too many athletes over there for that to happen. They only won two games last year ... so there is MUCH room for growth. They open the season @ Maplewood ... last years 4A runner-up ... so ... that game will be telling. The other team in 8-4A who may be better this year is Raleigh-Egypt. They only have 4 home games this year ... so we will see wit them as well. But right now ...in my mind ... 8-4A has three solid teams ... Melrose, Fairley, and Kingsbury.

Has anybody ever heard of 21st Century Academy? They appear to be Raleigh-Eygpts last game of the season. Who are they?