I saw it first hand....

TJ

I know I was very high on Derrick Byars, a University of Virginia signee out of Ridgeway HS in Memphis, but I just returned from Ole Miss where I had the opportunity to meet and play against Trey Pearson. I respect the opinion of my old HS coach, who said Pearson was hands down better than Byars, but I had to see it for myself. And he was right. Pearson is so smooth and so talented. His handles are unreal and his jump shot, although he doesn't elevate much on it, is quick and great. Word from the team is that he WILL, indeed, redshirt to get more weight b/c he is fragile. This kid is unreal talented. It looked at times, as if he was just playing with his defender, just waiting to decide on WHEN to be by him. Man, if we all only had THAT problem on the court ;) He has a bright future ahead of him in the SEC. He could come off as cocky to some, but he holds that flair of himself that will help him suceed in the SEC, not to mention being hilarious.

[Edited by TJ on 7/31/02 9:53P]

I don't mind Ole Miss, but I never see them getting on par with a Kentucky or a Florida...just like in football, I'm glad they have Eli as their qb...but they will never be on a BCS level like a UT, UF, or UGA. A good year to Ole Miss is 8-3, and a great year is 9-2...you go 9-2 at UF or UT you are out of work...cus thats a loss to UF and a loss to UGA and third in the SEC East.

When you are the third largest college in the state of MS...it's hard to compete at such a high level as some of the other SEC programs...But I do like seeing Ole Miss play...as long as they don't beat my Tigers or Vols.

I think Byars is kinda lazy actually...it seems that because he is 6'7 and can shoot whenever he feels like it...that he doesn't try as hard as he could, I think he might have a big head also...but TJ has seen him play a lot more than I have.

Ole Miss can beat just about anyone at home...on the road they have a lot of trouble...they would have lost to Memphis if that was at a neutral site or at Memphis...Kentucky destroyed Ole Miss and many teams would if you get them away from the Tad Pad...Ole Miss also got embarrassed in the first round of the SEC tournament, and were also embarrassed pretty badly for a 8-9 game against a good UCLA team.