Gallatin to play game in Ohio in 2010

timbdp

I wouldn't rely too heavily on that unapproved website match-up scenario. unapproved website has had some strange teams ranked very high in recent years in their own poll. unapproved website does, however, have the most accurate poll, and that is their compilation poll. If you want to look at a good national poll check that one out.

Last year's St. X team was one of the best teams ever put together. They had, by far, the toughest schedule in the entire nation and still ran through it with ease. They deserved the top national ranking for sure. That team would've beaten some of the DLS teams of the late 90's.

Moeller has not been as good as St. X or Colerain for some years now, but they are still a quality team from, perhaps, the toughest city in the country to play in. So being ranked SIXTH in Cincinnati is pretty good. They would be SIXTH in most STATES! Heck, they almost beat Byrnes,SC a few years back. That Byrnes team embarrased MBA a year or two prior.

Finally, you are right about the '04 Riverdale team not beating the '07 St. X team. They might've given them a run, but they would not have won that game. I bet they would've beaten most of the other top Ohio teams that year, though.

Anyway, the Herbie Classic has been great. I was impressed that St. X pulled it out against Prattville. I just hope BA can duplicate that when they travel down to Alabama later this year. I don't know after this last weekend, though. I am still stunned that BA lost to Ravenwood.......

Isn't great that all of us can "predict", but when it comes right down to it we don't have a clue.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hats off to the GREEN WAVE for getting this game scheduled. What a great event for the players, coaches and fans to play at the NFL Hall of Fame stadium. There was a nice article many years ago in SI about the Massilon-McKinley rivalry....maybe Bulldog86 can provide some insight.

I think this is the article...other related articles on the subject below this one. It's the only high school football game that actually has a line /odds in Vegas. http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...940/1/index.htm

Everyone on here is guilty of fan gush to one degree or another.....including me. That's why we're all on here. To root for and show support our favorite teams. There is nothing wrong with that as long as we're objective, respectful and have fun doing it. Ultimately, these are opinions, which we are all entitled to. This is the greatest game in it's purest form which is rapidly changing with the explosion of media coverage, and national matchups like never before. I spent 40 yrs. in Ohio following h.s. football religiously, not just there but nationally. I guarantee you that if you that if you had done the same and came to TN you would be of the same opinion. When you consider several factors, the difference is obvious. 1)There is no public/private separation in Ohio. If you want to compete with them, you get better, by scheduling. Many top smaller programs schedule teams 2-3 divisions above them and COMPETE WITH SUCCESS. 2)The playoff format has been considered by many so called "experts" to be the best in the nation. Here is how teams make the playoffs....http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/ft/boys/rankcalc.htm You get in the playoffs based on the strength of your schedule, so beating up a 2 win D1(TN 5A) team is worth far less points than beating a 8 win D4 team. This forces you to schedule tougher in order to make the playoffs. There have been a couple of small schools go 10-0 and NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS, because the teams they defeated had poor records and/or were smaller schools. It is not uncommon for an 8-2 or 7-3 team to not make the playoffs, or for a 6-4 or 5-5 team to finish ahead of them based on the records and size of schools defeated. This makes the playoffs BRUTAL, because they are there based on teams records and the quality of competition, not by your record in your region. The D1 playoffs are regarded as the most competitive playoffs in the nation. 3)The fan base/community support from D1 to D6 AS A WHOLE is far better. As an example, these forums are quiet as a church mouse in the off season. Go to http://www.jjhuddle.com/ or http://www.yappi.com/ and you will see that it is year round. The south may be a little ahead of the north in general, but not Ohio. Ohio is a different animal altogether. http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool/rise/...tory?id=3546427 Click on the states for the statistics. When you look at the population difference of the top 5 states, pound for pound Ohio is as good as it gets. Don't get me wrong there is some GREAT football being played here, great teams, worthy of national recognition, but as far as teams in TN easily competing with St. Zavier in '07, I am unconvinced. It was acknowledged many times in the media, including during a nationally televised game that X had the toughest schedule in the nation. 8 of 10 games in regular season against nationally or regionally ranked teams, including top teams from Maryland(DeMatha) and Kentucky(Louisville Trinity). Combined record including playoffs(15 teams) of 117-43. Outcome....15-0. Period. No team in this state has EVER played a schedule comparable to the ones that St. X has had for the past 4 or 5 years straight. Go to http://unapproved website.com/National_dynasty_ratings.htm Check out X's strength of schedule and opponent's records. By far the best in the nation. 4 other Cincinnati teams in the top 40 nationally. It speaks for itself as far as being some of the best teams in the nation.

I agree with you we are all guilty of fan gush, no doubt about that myself included. I donot mean no disrespect to anyone or any team. Now polls and computer match up game I don't and will never buy into any of that stuff because if you played these games on the field most of the time I think most people would be suprised of the out come. As for St.X 2007 and the Warriors of 2004 I will tell you why I feel the Warriors would of taken them. Speed as far as team speed, seeing both teams play St.X did not have the team speed of the Warriors not even close. I do apoligize for wording it the way I did( just a little fan gush) I think it would be a great ball game if it was played out on the field. Just like any other teams from around our great country would also have a say so if these were played out but that will never happen! Seeing teams from other states Fla, South Car., Tx, Cal, Even some of the teams in the Plain states would suprise some folks there is some pretty good football played out there also. There is no doubt about the talent here in Ohio, no doubt which so ever! Hope you like it in Middle Tenn great place to live.

I agree with you we are all guilty of fan gush, no doubt about that myself included. I donot mean no disrespect to anyone or any team. Now polls and computer match up game I don't and will never buy into any of that stuff because if you played these games on the field most of the time I think most people would be suprised of the out come. As for St.X 2007 and the Warriors of 2004 I will tell you why I feel the Warriors would of taken them. Speed as far as team speed, seeing both teams play St.X did not have the team speed of the Warriors not even close. I do apoligize for wording it the way I did( just a little fan gush) I think it would be a great ball game if it was played out on the field. Just like any other teams from around our great country would also have a say so if these were played out but that will never happen! Seeing teams from other states Fla, South Car., Tx, Cal, Even some of the teams in the Plain states would suprise some folks there is some pretty good football played out there also. There is no doubt about the talent here in Ohio, no doubt which so ever! Hope you like it in Middle Tenn great place to live.

Overall so far, so good.Tennessee is a beautiful state, just get a little homesick every football season being away from all the games up there. I respect your opinion, and agree wholeheartedly, that there is great football being played almost everywhere you go, and that projected matchups on Calprep are of little value. But I do think that there are other fairly reliable ways to gage things and come out correct more often than not, which I will explain further. I agree that the matchup between these two teams would have been a fun game to watch, but Riverdale's speed probably wouldn't have been an issue. Last year X played Cleveland Glenville, whose team speed is year in/year out as fast as anyone in the country. In last year's herbie,Glenville vs. Cal Long Beach Poly, the announcers stated that you will never see a better display of 2 teams speed on the same field together as you will see here today. Many athletes that have won 5 out of the last 6 state titles in track are on their football squads. Clearly X was way outclassed in the speed dept. Outcome of the game with X....X by 15 pts. X sees this caliber of speed every year. Well disciplined teams who play fundamentally sound and stay in position, take the right angles to the ball will negate speed, and you will find that they are as well coached in this area as anyone. If you go to unapproved website/dynasty rankings there are a few stats, not rankings, that don't lie. '03-'07 is the time frame used. Start with record vs. top 1000 teams in that span. #4 X led the nation with a 49-6 record. Next closest team was #1 SLC, Texas with 43-3. #65 Riverdale was 16-7, #52 BA was 18-14, #72 MBA was 24-10, Maryville was 25-0. Quite a difference in the number of games, let alone records. Opponents w-l record over same period....X 515-229. Riverdale's 467-334. Strength of schedule rating......the gap here is even greater. X's is #1 in the nation at 42.2, Moeller at 41.7, Cin. Elder 38.7, Cin. Colerain 34.2, La Salle 33.9, Lakewood St. Ed's 33.8, Cle. St. Ignatious 32.8. All teams that play each other yearly. The next best sos IN THE NATION was SLC at 36.4, Hoover, Ala. 35.2, Tyler Lee, Tx. 34.2, De La Salle, Ca. 31.2. In TN....MBA 33.2, BA 32.6, Riverdale 24.9, Maryville 23.5(strength of schedule takes the luster off the streak for me). So as you can see, the level of competition was clearly better, with 8 of 10 reg. season opponents nationally or regionally ranked. They saw teams like Riverdale 8 out of 10 weeks, then the playoffs. In my humble opinion, it would definitely make a difference in the outcome of that matchup. So just as it is in the playoff system in Ohio, the quality of your competition along with that record means something.

Overall so far, so good.Tennessee is a beautiful state, just get a little homesick every football season being away from all the games up there. I respect your opinion, and agree wholeheartedly, that there is great football being played almost everywhere you go, and that projected matchups on Calprep are of little value. But I do think that there are other fairly reliable ways to gage things and come out correct more often than not, which I will explain further. I agree that the matchup between these two teams would have been a fun game to watch, but Riverdale's speed probably wouldn't have been an issue. Last year X played Cleveland Glenville, whose team speed is year in/year out as fast as anyone in the country. In last year's herbie,Glenville vs. Cal Long Beach Poly, the announcers stated that you will never see a better display of 2 teams speed on the same field together as you will see here today. Many athletes that have won 5 out of the last 6 state titles in track are on their football squads. Clearly X was way outclassed in the speed dept. Outcome of the game with X....X by 15 pts. X sees this caliber of speed every year. Well disciplined teams who play fundamentally sound and stay in position, take the right angles to the ball will negate speed, and you will find that they are as well coached in this area as anyone. If you go to unapproved website/dynasty rankings there are a few stats, not rankings, that don't lie. '03-'07 is the time frame used. Start with record vs. top 1000 teams in that span. #4 X led the nation with a 49-6 record. Next closest team was #1 SLC, Texas with 43-3. #65 Riverdale was 16-7, #52 BA was 18-14, #72 MBA was 24-10, Maryville was 25-0. Quite a difference in the number of games, let alone records. Opponents w-l record over same period....X 515-229. Riverdale's 467-334. Strength of schedule rating......the gap here is even greater. X's is #1 in the nation at 42.2, Moeller at 41.7, Cin. Elder 38.7, Cin. Colerain 34.2, La Salle 33.9, Lakewood St. Ed's 33.8, Cle. St. Ignatious 32.8. All teams that play each other yearly. The next best sos IN THE NATION was SLC at 36.4, Hoover, Ala. 35.2, Tyler Lee, Tx. 34.2, De La Salle, Ca. 31.2. In TN....MBA 33.2, BA 32.6, Riverdale 24.9, Maryville 23.5(strength of schedule takes the luster off the streak for me). So as you can see, the level of competition was clearly better, with 8 of 10 reg. season opponents nationally or regionally ranked. They saw teams like Riverdale 8 out of 10 weeks, then the playoffs. In my humble opinion, it would definitely make a difference in the outcome of that matchup. So just as it is in the playoff system in Ohio, the quality of your competition along with that record means something.

Wow that is incredible! Thanks for that info I stand corrected! Makes me feel even better the way Coffman played St.X last year a 10-7 loss and no one dilikes losing more than I do. jlmac4 thanks for being a class act and for being so informative! Great post! Also would like to say how classy the St.X fans were after that game in the semi finals. Makes me even realize even more how good of a team we had at Dublin Coffman last year! Hey I will never question you again about football you really know your stuff! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Mckinley is a great program i had to play them every year at my high school Massillon in my opion these are the two greatest high school programs in the US

Wow!!! /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> a Massillon guy handing out "props" to McKinley?? I may have to send this to my Dad. On the other hand, NO!!!! He??™s getting pretty old and this comment may put him in that ???pine box??? way to early. Don't let the old ???Tiger fan??? catch you saying this ???rubbish???. That??™s like me as an "Iggy" guy saying good things about St Ed??™s or Glenville or Warren G Harding....... I could go on for a while here. We have a lot of schools that think they are out arch rival. We can't pick 1. You know?

I will agree with you though. I can't think of many programs that have such a deep historical impact on HS football. Period!!!!!

Valdosta,GA. Is a great program but if we are talking about all time, I??™m not sure they touch Massillon or McKinley. (Notice which team I listed 1st?)

Wow that is incredible! Thanks for that info I stand corrected! Makes me feel even better the way Coffman played St.X last year a 10-7 loss and no one dilikes losing more than I do. jlmac4 thanks for being a class act and for being so informative! Great post! Also would like to say how classy the St.X fans were after that game in the semi finals. Makes me even realize even more how good of a team we had at Dublin Coffman last year! Hey I will never question you again about football you really know your stuff! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Your very welcome warhawks. Thank you for the kind words and some good discussion. I try to add facts to explain my humble opinions whenever possible....a little substance. I'd like to add that Im not from X, actually from Smithville, a D5 school with a lot of tradition just a 15 min. drive from Stark county. I've become a big X fan in recent years because of the way they schedule, but have been following/supporting all Ohio schools for several decades since my school days. I think Coffman was every bit as good as X last year, a shame someone had to loose that game. Same thing vs Iggy.