Gallatin to play game in Ohio in 2010

timbdp

It was in 2005 and to read the OHIO boards (Yappi) at the time R'dale stood NO chance of beating them. I agree that they were NOT that good but to hear the folks on the OHIO boards the game was gonna be a cake walk for WK. The ONLY respect R'dale got was AFTER the game. Some also seemed surprised that our players even wore shoes. LOL

There WAS walking though, and R'dale was doing it all over WK. As to a return matchup there was never an excuse given that the fans were told. Their loss though as R'dale folks were getting ready to show them a big time down here and was preparing a BIG BBQ dinner for them and tours. Will say that WK did treat us nice and provided a nice tour of the Ohio State facilities for the players.

In those days R'dale DID try and schedule a couple of the teams you mentioned as being good, but for some reason they did not want to try on R'dale. This was during the days when R'dale was in the big game here in Tn EVERY year!

It is worth noting that at the time of the game Riverdale and WK were both ranked in the top 15 in their respective regions. Many of the prep magazines and web sites touted the game as a clash between regional heavyweights. I believe WK went on to have a lackluster season due in part to injuries and Riverdale fumbled away a chance at a repeat state title (fumbled literally 8 times).

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bulldog86...in 2004-2005, how did WK do in the playoffs?

My sense was that they were a team that was feeling their oats after 2004 and bit off more than they could chew. Didn't they go pretty deep in the playoffs both years?

BTW, I really enjoyed the trip up there and the atmosphere in the game. However, those guys should have honored their committment and made the return trip. There is no way to 'spin' that.

Good luck to Gallatin. Can you give us the recent history on McKinley's regular season results and playoff success. Thanks!!!

Sure, here is the WK info you asked for: 2004 seeded 4th in the region and lost in the (state semi) final to Cincy Colerain, 2005 seeded 7 and lost in the (region final) to Hilliard Davidson. Sorry I mis-spoke it the above thread.

You also asked about Canton Mckinley resent history. Here you go:

2000 - 3-7

2001 - 8-3 lost to Massillon in (State Region Semifinal)

2002 – 3-7

2003 – 3-7

2004 – 11-4 lost to Cincinnati Colerain (State Championship)

2005 – 12-1 lost to Massillon Washington (State Region Championship)

2006 – 12-2 lost to Mentor (State Semi-Final)

2007 – 3-7

2008 - not sure what they have this year but i do know they have a brutal schedule. Not as bad as some of the Cincy. schools but its tough.

Canton McKinley is a 10 time Ohio State champion D1 (TN 5A but with privet/catholic schools as well) None of them in the 2000’s. The most resent titles are in 1997-1998 back to back

I'm glade you enjoyed your time in My home state. I spent 22 out of my 34 year of my live either on the field on the sideline or in the stands at a Ohio HS football game. (My Dad was a coach if your tring to do the math) I still think you got cheated out of playing at a great program in Ohio. You would have been much better served playing a Massillon or Mckinley or Youngstown Mooney. Much better programs with much better facilities. They would have treated you right. I'm sorry to hear about the way you all were treated by the WK program. That embarrasses me as a passionate OHIO HS FOOTBALL FAN. I'm sure that Gallatin and MBA will be treated much better then that. I have been in TN for almost 9 year now (with a 1 year stent in Dublin OH in the middle of that). I'm a Smyrna resident and fan and I enjoy the heck out of watching TN HS football but the love for OHIO HS FOOTBALL will never leave me.

Hats off to the GREEN WAVE for getting this game scheduled. What a great event for the players, coaches and fans to play at the NFL Hall of Fame stadium. There was a nice article many years ago in SI about the Massilon-McKinley rivalry....maybe Bulldog86 can provide some insight.

Oh bigredbigblue you know i'd love to share that info. The Tigers vs Bulldogs game is the last game of their season. They have been rivals since 1894. The rivalry has received not only local attention but has also been documented in the November 14, 1994 issue of Sports Illustrated as bigredbigblue wrote and the 2001 HBO documentary. The McKinley-Massillon game is the only high school football game in America that actually gets odds in Las Vegas. As of 2007, the teams have played each other 115 times. Massillon Tigers are ahead, having won 62 of the games. The McKinley Bulldogs have won 51 games. The two teams have tied 5 times. If there is a better HS football game or atmosphere I don't know of it. You have to experiance it once if you are a true HS football fan.

Nov. 8 Massillon Tigers vs. Canton McKinley Bulldogs 8 p.m. ET - arguably the most famous rivalry in high school football. Both teams are from the Akron/Canton area in Ohio. The match-up has Massillon winning last year’s game 10-7. This year, the game is played at the Pro Football Hall of Fame in front of more than 20,000 fans There won't be a ticket left to be had. The crowd will be bigger for this game then the NFL Hall of Fame game a few week ago. NO Joke, it’s that big. Not just this year but for some time now. North east OHIO shuts down for this game. Its unreal. It will be televised on VS network check it out if you get that channel.

That just a silly comment. The best teams in Ohio have been playing the best of the best for some time now. I don't have a clue of the situation you are speaking of but I find it hard to believe the Ohio team would "chicken out" The best Ohio teams have played much better teams then Riverdale in the past and they are and will play much better teams then Riverdale in the future. Home or Away! That no shot at Riverdale. Just a fact.

I'd love to hear your recollection of the situation where a Ohio team "Chicken'ed out"

As far as the television coverage. I'm sure it is part of the "Herbie" classic for that year, so it will be on a ESPN channel.

Good luck Gallatin. McKinley is a very strong Ohio program and I'm sure you'll be ready for that challange.

I don't think it is that silly of a comment. That Worthington Kilbourne team didn't do that badly in Ohio's top division. I believe they finished 9-4 and only lost by a touchdown to Hilliard,OH Davidson 21-14 in the playoffs. I believe Davidson lost to St. X by only a touchdown in the next round. That doesn't sound like a mediocre team Riverdale played. Plus, they whipped them at their place. Also, those Riverdale teams back then would have hung with, if not beaten, some of your best Ohio teams that year. So, your statement of Ohio teams "playing much better teams than Riverdale" is not entirely accurate. I would have to say that Kilbourne did chicken out the next year. In addition to all of that, I would like to know when and where the top Ohio teams traveled out of the comforts of their own state to play some top-notch teams. Don't get me wrong, the Herbie Classic is awesome and I love the fact that they are doing it, but all of the top teams from other states all come up there to play your top teams.

In your defense, LaSalle is going to Texas this year to play Cedar Hill. That should be an interesting matchup. Also, the Cincinnati Catholic league is phenomenal. St. X, Moeller, LaSalle, and Elder are tremendous teams with great tradition. Plus, St X plays Colerain every year. For St. X to go undefeated last year with that brutal schedule was amazing. I thought they should've been ranked #1 in every national poll. I believe they would've beaten Miami,FL Northwestern.

Don't take all of this to heart. Ohio football is ten times better then Tennessee football. All I am saying is that every once in a while Tennessee will have 1 or 2 teams that can compete with anyone nationally. I know....Ohio usually has about 10 teams that could do that.

I don't think it is that silly of a comment. That Worthington Kilbourne team didn't do that badly in Ohio's top division. I believe they finished 9-4 and only lost by a touchdown to Hilliard,OH Davidson 21-14 in the playoffs. I believe Davidson lost to St. X by only a touchdown in the next round. That doesn't sound like a mediocre team Riverdale played. Plus, they whipped them at their place. Also, those Riverdale teams back then would have hung with, if not beaten, some of your best Ohio teams that year. So, your statement of Ohio teams "playing much better teams than Riverdale" is not entirely accurate. I would have to say that Kilbourne did chicken out the next year. In addition to all of that, I would like to know when and where the top Ohio teams traveled out of the comforts of their own state to play some top-notch teams. Don't get me wrong, the Herbie Classic is awesome and I love the fact that they are doing it, but all of the top teams from other states all come up there to play your top teams.

In your defense, LaSalle is going to Texas this year to play Cedar Hill. That should be an interesting matchup. Also, the Cincinnati Catholic league is phenomenal. St. X, Moeller, LaSalle, and Elder are tremendous teams with great tradition. Plus, St X plays Colerain every year. For St. X to go undefeated last year with that brutal schedule was amazing. I thought they should've been ranked #1 in every national poll. I believe they would've beaten Miami,FL Northwestern.

Don't take all of this to heart. Ohio football is ten times better then Tennessee football. All I am saying is that every once in a while Tennessee will have 1 or 2 teams that can compete with anyone nationally. I know....Ohio usually has about 10 teams that could do that.

Your twisting my word a little bit in the start of your comment. I know that WK had a 7-3 record that year and they won 2 playoff games that year. My comment was WK was a mediocre "PROGRAM". They don't even compare to some of the Ohio HS "PROGRAMS" mentioned above. In that year (if we talking about 05') was a weird year for D1 in Ohio. If my memory serves me. (it usualy dosn't) LAKEWOOD ST. Ed's (9-0) in Regular Season, SOLON, (10-0) in the Regular season, CLEVELAND GLENVILLE (10-0) in the regular season, CANTON MCKINLEY (10-0) were all upset early that year. The Columbus Schools which WK plays ,were horrible that year. There were 3 (7-3) teams and 2 (6-4) team in the Columbus area that made the playoffs. Needless to say that was a weak playoff bracket they played in that year.

As far as your comment that Riverdale could have hung with, if not beaten, some of Ohio best teams that year " Maybe hung with but beat them, I don't think so. St. X (15-0) and MASILLON (10-2) (only loses were to Canton McKinley and played St. X in State Championship.) And the schools i mentioned above that were upset would have be pretty tuff for Riverdale to beat that year.

I respect and like Riverdale (except when the play Smyrna) and I'd like to see a top OH program come down here to play them. In the future. I stick to my point. Riverdale played a mediocre Ohio HS program at best that year. And I wish they could have play one of Ohio's top HS programs. WK is not even close to one of Ohio's top programs.

Your twisting my word a little bit in the start of your comment. I know that WK had a 7-3 record that year and they won 2 playoff games that year. My comment was WK was a mediocre "PROGRAM". They don't even compare to some of the Ohio HS "PROGRAMS" mentioned above. In that year (if we talking about 05') was a weird year for D1 in Ohio. If my memory serves me. (it usualy dosn't) LAKEWOOD ST. Ed's (9-0) in Regular Season, SOLON, (10-0) in the Regular season, CLEVELAND GLENVILLE (10-0) in the regular season, CANTON MCKINLEY (10-0) were all upset early that year. The Columbus Schools which WK plays ,were horrible that year. There were 3 (7-3) teams and 2 (6-4) team in the Columbus area that made the playoffs. Needless to say that was a weak playoff bracket they played in that year.

As far as your comment that Riverdale could have hung with, if not beaten, some of Ohio best teams that year " Maybe hung with but beat them, I don't think so. St. X (15-0) and MASILLON (10-2) (only loses were to Canton McKinley and played St. X in State Championship.) And the schools i mentioned above that were upset would have be pretty tuff for Riverdale to beat that year.

I respect and like Riverdale (except when the play Smyrna) and I'd like to see a top OH program come down here to play them. In the future. I stick to my point. Riverdale played a mediocre Ohio HS program at best that year. And I wish they could have play one of Ohio's top HS programs. WK is not even close to one of Ohio's top programs.

You're right, WK isn't one of the top PROGRAMS, but they were pretty good THAT year and Riverdale smoked them at their place. By no means did I mean that Riverdale would beat teams like St. X, McKinley, Washington, or Colerain on a regular basis, but they had a good shot at doing it that particular year. My hat goes off for Ohio football teams. They are on the same level as Texas, Florida, and California in my opinion. I feel confident in saying that because I have traveled all over the country the last 15 years and have watched many high school football games from different regions of the country. Like I said before Tennessee will produce teams from year to year that could hang with some of the top teams nationwide. In particular, Brentwood Academy and Montgomery Bell. I believe BA played St. X some years back and lost 24-17. I call that hanging with a top team.

Also, isn't Hilliard a suburb of Columbus? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Davidson usually has a decent team. Sometimes Darby does as well. I also remember Upper Arlington taking state one year recently. I know, I know Columbus doesn't compare to Cincinnati football on a yearly basis. Or Cleveland for that matter.

Perhaps your "point" may have some bias. Although I would agree that overall Ohio High School football maybe more competitive than Tennessee High School football. I would disagree with your assessment that there can't be any team in Tennessee that in some years could possibly beat the best teams from Ohio. This logic is as flawed as saying that the Big 10 is tougher than the SEC. How about those buckeyes? Is it 14 games in a row now?