TSSAA to enforce restraining line rule

mcsportswriter

Below is an e-mail that was sent out by Matthew Gillespie from the TSSAA this week. I was informed by an official at a Cornersville Middle School game a few weeks ago and began following the guidelines to see how it could affect the regular season.

I know it actually went into affect last year, but it was not enforced in most locations.

It stinks and I will tell you why.

All I do now is run into some pretty big football players with some pretty expensive equipment following a play, scramble after the play to find a hole to shoot from, and in many instances between the length of the box I find it almost impossible to shoot good pictures from the line of scrimmage because the coaches get in the way, moving around all the time (And they should move around, it is their field).

This is almost as bad as softball at the Spring Fling where the media is restricted to a box out in left field. How many of you have had to fight to get a good picture because most third base coaches dance around and go all the way up the line on a play at home?

Why can’t there be boxes on both sides of the field?

I know there are reasons to do this, but I want to hear everyone’s thoughts.

Below is the e-mail I received from the TSSAA

This e-mail is to bring to your attention a rule that might possibly effect you as we approach the upcoming football season.

The first portion of the rule in the 2008 NFHS Football Rules Book (Rule 1-2, Art. 3 d.) was in place last year. It states:

A 4-inch-wide retraining line shall be placed around the outside of the field, at least 2 yards from the sidelines and end lines, as an extension of the line limiting the team box are, except in stadiums where the total playing enclosure does not permit.

The new rule (Rule 2-27, Art. 8) further clarifies who is not permitted beyond the restraining line. It states:

A restraining line is a line placed around the outside of the field. No person, including but not limited to spectators, game administrators or members of the media, shall be allowed within the restraining line. A maximum of three coaches as well as permitted nonplayers are allowed within the restraining line in front of the team box, as provided for in Rule 9-8-3.

We realize this might be a change for some of you as you cover games this year and we did not want you to be caught completely off-guard if you are informed to stay behind the restraining line while covering a game.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Matthew Gillespie

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can tell you that while I understand the media's concerns, as an official I am totally in favor in this. In Chattanooga it has gotten to the point where every person with a digital camera wants to take pictures from the sideline at some schools. As a linesman, I can't be worrying about who I am stepping on from the 25 to the goal line while also trying to manage my chain crew. I don't think two yards off the sideline is unreasonable. In college stadiums, there is a two-yard "no-man" belt, then the coaches box, and then the team box/restraining line. Without the two-yard "no-man" belt in high school the sideline just gets too cramped.

I can tell you that while I understand the media's concerns, as an official I am totally in favor in this. In Chattanooga it has gotten to the point where every person with a digital camera wants to take pictures from the sideline at some schools. As a linesman, I can't be worrying about who I am stepping on from the 25 to the goal line while also trying to manage my chain crew. I don't think two yards off the sideline is unreasonable. In college stadiums, there is a two-yard "no-man" belt, then the coaches box, and then the team box/restraining line. Without the two-yard "no-man" belt in high school the sideline just gets too cramped.

Did you now your chain crew also has to work on the restraining line. I hear you about too many people shooting. I think only those people with official media passes should be allowed to shoot photos. I will manage, I was only looking for other people's opinion.

Amen. The College rule is a great feature. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

The federation guidlines have the chain crew, setting the chains, placing the clip, and backing off the sidelines. How many oldtimer chain crews are gonna listen to that? /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

Amen. The College rule is a great feature. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

The federation guidlines have the chain crew, setting the chains, placing the clip, and backing off the sidelines. How many oldtimer chain crews are gonna listen to that? /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

They'll either listen or our crew will have them replaced...

Live or die with it.

Some insurance companies may not cover your injuries, if you ignore saftey rules. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Valid point...... But I think the point is to protect the kids from injuries moreso than the photographer....

Plus, with today's technology with super-duper "zoom" lenses, why is this an issue?

There should be some type of process to gain access to the sidelines.

Do you see anyone with a camera getting in front of a team and coaches

up to the 50 yard-line in the NFL or college?

The TSSAA is doing the right thing, and the restrictions should get tighter.

It is about the game on the field, not making room for everyone and anyone

to shoot and point with a camera.