CENTENNIAL @ BRENTWOOD

CHS 2007

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have a report on the game? According to the scoresheet they were tied in the 4th before Brentwood exploded for 21.

This was a great game for the most part. Brentwood and Centennial went to the half tied at 7. It was a tough game to follow because the game clock was not kept on the scoreboard. Turnovers and field position were the keys to the Brentwood win. Centennial was in punt formation in the 2nd half when the snap went clear over the punter's head. The mistake totally swayed the momentum and field position. The Bruins cashed in and it gave them the 7 point lead. I must give credit as the Cougars didn't fold at that point. Centennial got the ball back and drove deep into Brentwood territory to attempt to tie it up when Cinderella's slipper got smashed. One of the Cougar backs fumbled the ball and Brentwood returned it to the house putting them up 21-7. The last touchdown was during garbage time at the end of the fourth because Centennial had grown tired and the balloon had burst. It was an amazing effort by the Cougar defense for the most part.

And to just add one note:

I agree maybe Scales should be about to utilize his running ability more but he did not play very well at QB the other night. It seemed that very few passes were completed and Centennial became one dimensional.

Jayjizel summed it up pretty well

Centennial did look really well. I think a lot of the mistakes made were the first game mistakes. Centennial will grow out of those. Definitely the best Cougar team I've seen since the 03 playoff team.

Brentwood D looked stout. Offense was saved more by the miscues and the Defense. Take away the miscues and you're looking at a 7-7 game going into the final drive.

Overall a very good game.

Observations-

Centennial has some strong running backs, with Scales being the most dangerous. With out him, the Cougars would pose much less of a threat. Outside of one long run when Brentwood lost contain, there wasn't much yards gained- but they ran very hard. Passing game was very inconsistent, and pretty much boiled down to quick throws to the flanker (with one being an almost costly lateral).

Good kicking game, but the launch of the ball over the punter's head and subsequent booting out of bounds swapped field position at a critical time. After Brentwood went up by two scores with the fumble recovery, the Cougars had all the air let out of them. Defense looked adequate, but wore down.

Brentwood starts with Defense, continuously bottled up Centennial on most possessions. Very tough tackling and opportunistic. Pass rush would've resulted in more sacks with a less mobile QB. Offensively, the Bruins started strong, but didn't adjust well when Centennial packed the defense in- they continued to pound away at a tough middle of the Cougar line. Field position dictated the game. Passing game is improved over last year- but still has a long way to go. Dropped balls and misfires are keeping this phase of the offense from being a factor. Good stable of backs.

Game of field position and turnovers, which the Bruins took advantage of with scores. In sum, it was trench warfare and Brentwood did enough good on both sides of the ball to claim victory. Centennial will have success this year- as long as Scales is in the picture.

Observations-

Centennial has some strong running backs, with Scales being the most dangerous. With out him, the Cougars would pose much less of a threat. Outside of one long run when Brentwood lost contain, there wasn't much yards gained- but they ran very hard. Passing game was very inconsistent, and pretty much boiled down to quick throws to the flanker (with one being an almost costly lateral).

Good kicking game, but the launch of the ball over the punter's head and subsequent booting out of bounds swapped field position at a critical time. After Brentwood went up by two scores with the fumble recovery, the Cougars had all the air let out of them. Defense looked adequate, but wore down.

Brentwood starts with Defense, continuously bottled up Centennial on most possessions. Very tough tackling and opportunistic. Pass rush would've resulted in more sacks with a less mobile QB. Offensively, the Bruins started strong, but didn't adjust well when Centennial packed the defense in- they continued to pound away at a tough middle of the Cougar line. Field position dictated the game. Passing game is improved over last year- but still has a long way to go. Dropped balls and misfires are keeping this phase of the offense from being a factor. Good stable of backs.

Game of field position and turnovers, which the Bruins took advantage of with scores. In sum, it was trench warfare and Brentwood did enough good on both sides of the ball to claim victory. Centennial will have success this year- as long as Scales is in the picture.

Good analysis. From what I saw the game went exactly to plan for Brentwood. Nothing flashy in game 1; keep mistakes to a minimum, wear down the opponent in the first half and reap the fruits of your labor later in the game. Great job Bruins, keep working hard. Success breeds success.

Good analysis. From what I saw the game went exactly to plan for Brentwood. Nothing flashy in game 1; keep mistakes to a minimum, wear down the opponent in the first half and reap the fruits of your labor later in the game. Great job Bruins, keep working hard. Success breeds success.

i wouldn't say exactly as planed.

Centennial scored in the first quarter and it was 7-7 going into the last ten minutes of the game.

That was all part of the plan for Brentwood?

If the "plan" was to play even for the entire game with a team that has yet to win anything in the school's history, I can't wait to see how badly Brentwood loses to a good team.

Not to put words in anyone's mouth, but the Brentwood "plan" for the 1st game, was to keep the ball on the ground, keep field position, don't give up big plays on defense, and then take advantage of the opponent's mistakes. With the exception of one run, Brentwood did just that. I would imagine the thought process was with Centennial, it was just a matter of time before something would break. And it did- both major mistakes by Centennial resulted in Brentwood touchdowns. Then the Cougars lost hope, and the last touchdown series was evidence the game was over.

Playing it close to the vest worked fine for the first game. As the offense matures and gets more confident, the points will appear. Putting up 28 and giving up only 7 the first game is a good start.

I wouldn't say this is the best Centennial team I've seen, but it is much better than the last few years.

No matter if your team won or lost, every team will go back to the tape and see a need for a ton of improvement this week.

Not to put words in anyone's mouth, but the Brentwood "plan" for the 1st game, was to keep the ball on the ground, keep field position, don't give up big plays on defense, and then take advantage of the opponent's mistakes. With the exception of one run, Brentwood did just that. I would imagine the thought process was with Centennial, it was just a matter of time before something would break. And it did- both major mistakes by Centennial resulted in Brentwood touchdowns. Then the Cougars lost hope, and the last touchdown series was evidence the game was over.

Playing it close to the vest worked fine for the first game. As the offense matures and gets more confident, the points will appear. Putting up 28 and giving up only 7 the first game is a good start.

I wouldn't say this is the best Centennial team I've seen, but it is much better than the last few years.

No matter if your team won or lost, every team will go back to the tape and see a need for a ton of improvement this week.

So basically what you're saying here is that Brentwood plays down to its competition? That's always a good trait to have.

Mistakes were CHS's achilles heel last year, and they cost us a chance at a few upsets last year (Had a chance to go up 27-13 on Indy, and two late turnovers put the Dickson Co. game out of reach in what was an otherwise close game). As the season went on however, they started making fewer mistakes and started to gel as a team. This could have just been a little rust coming off the offseason, but rest assured Coach Mat and co. will make sure that his Cougars work on these in the coming weeks.

If the "plan" was to play even for the entire game with a team that has yet to win anything in the school's history, I can't wait to see how badly Brentwood loses to a good team.

You have some problems dude

all i've seen you do is bash on Centennial

I'd like to see you say this crap to Matykiewicz or Chaz or Tony or Raymond and see their reaction