This bugs me....

TJ

I was recentely talking to a kid that knows Justin Flatt, and I commented on how good I thought he was. His response was that he didn't he was THAT good. "He can shoot, but he's not all that" He can shoot? I mean, is shooting not a HUGE part of the game anymore? I hear this statement all the time and i'm sure it's been said about me before also. I can appreciate Justin Flatts game b/c it's what I model myself like as a basketball player. Everyone thinks that you have a have a wicked crossover, baseline dunk, or a great game off the dribble to be recognized as a good basketball player no-a-days. I don't think people realize how hard it is to be a shooter now. I don't know alot of people who play well without the ball, can read a screen, and still get off a shot with the defense focused on them and sticking to them like glue. I can respect a guy who gets his points by shooting the longest shots on the court, but now people just say he can shoot but that he's not that good. Does anyone think anything about this, please comment.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely tend to agree with you TJ (if for no other reason than I am a short guy with no "moves" or "skillz" other than shooting :D) However, I would be willing to give the kid the benefit of the doubt on this one. Suppose he was referring to defense, passing, ballhandling? These too are important fundamentals. Not to say that Flatt is deficient in these areas, just that this guy might have thought he was.

I'll agree with TJ, I love the 3 pointer..To be honest I think high field goal percentage is a lost ark..Nowadays you have players thats shooting like 40% from the field and 30% from three, but all they can do is Dunk..I much rather have someone shooting well over 50% and in the 40s for 3s but cant dunk.

Players just dont take the time to hit 500 shots a day like they take the time to work on crossovering someone at the local rec center or practicing dunks..Another thing is people dont realize how important and what a luxury it is to have someone like Justin Flatt, who you know will burn you everytime you leave him open.Hes so automatic...Your teammates get in on the act when you have a guy that you know will hit, they start setting great screens and trying to get shooters open, so yes shooting is a very big part of the game..Nice Thread

I agree with TJ, and I think he was saying as long as a Kid didn't just stand there and shoot it. I mean you have to be able to have screens set for u or move without the ball.

How good was Derrick Byars if he wasn't 6'7? Let's say he was 6'1 or so...his 3 point percentage wouldn't have been nearly as good...He could stand there even if you were guarding him and shoot it right over you...You must be able to do more then shoot, like creating ur own shot of the dribble or spotting up...but I think TJ was also implying that as well.

I don't think its a lost art, I just don't think its as coveted as much. The networks dont show guys that stand there and shoot threes...they show guys that love to dunk it in your face, I remember when Indiana hit like 15 of 18 threes or something in the NCAA tournament...it was just amazing.

This thread wasn't meant to start people's view on Justin Flatt. I just used his name b/c he's similar type player as I am and gets similar criticism, and all his name has to do with the thread is that I really started to consider what people think are good players when someone made that comment about him. This thread is about how being a "shooter" doesn't make you a great player now-a-days.

Having great shooters on the floor or being one just does so much more for the team than scoring points on the shots he makes. Having shooters on the floor really spreads the floor to give room for other players to opperate off the dribble or in the post. The reason I was successful was b/c I had guys who were great off the dribble on my team and had another great shooter on the floor and the reason Jonathan and Adrian were so successful is b/c I drew the defense and gave Jonathan more room to opperate. It all works hand in hand.

[Edited by TJ on 8/3/02 9:47P]

• 6 months later...

I love to watch the shooters. The Maryville fans go nuts when Lee Humphrey drains a 3 pointer.Lee is one of the best shooters around.I wish UT would have signed him.

MHS has other guys who can drain the 3 pointers.Aaron Fowler,Brandon Burchfield,Andy Tipton,Carl Eppilito and Drew Houser.

Bearden has 2 guys who can drain the 3 pointer. Kyle Cruze and Matt Cox.

I watched Billy May in the state tourney last season. He can shoot the lights out.

The Skogan kid from Temple can drain the 3s also.