Week 1 Big games in Memphis

kwc

Give me your thoughts on the following games and what other games are you interested in?

Whitehaven vs Fairley:

Last week Fairley beat Westwood 49-0. Whitehaven beat Mitchell 27-0. What do you guys think will happen this week? Persoanlly, I don't think Fairley saw anything CLOSE to resembeling what they will see this week verses WHS. This will be a classic game. I'm rooting for WHS, if you didn't know by now.

Melrose vs. Mitchell:

Last week Melrose lost to MUS ... 12-13. Mitchel lost to Whitehaven 27-0. I think Melrose wins this game. Both loss games to good teams, Melrose just competed better ... heck ... they could have won it.

MUS vs Kingsbury:

Last week MUS barley beat a good Melrose team 13-12. Kingsbury dominated Central a region 7-5A team by a score of 39-0. Last years Shelby-Metro rushing leader, Kingsbury's Gabriel Hunter rushed for about 255 yard in 15 carries. MUS will not face another RB this year as good as the Ole Miss bound Mr. Hunter. I'm picking Kingsbury because I think Gabe gets a buck fifty, maybe even more and the Kingsbury 'D' is better then what will be expected.

Ridgeway vs. CBHS:

Ridgeway showed vast improvement in their 26-15 victory over Covington last week. But it must be noted that Ridgeway is 5A and Covington is 3A. CBHS had is hands full last week squeeking out a 10-7 victory over a revamped Whitestation team. CBHS faced the more daunting task last week facing Whitestation and Ridgeway showed growth in starting out the season with a win. I'm picking CBHS.

Those are the games of note to me in the City ... comments, opinions, and the mention of other games are welcome.

I guess you know by now that MUS absolutely dominated, scoring on their first three possessions. Gabriel Hunter was held to 42 yards before suffering a PCL injury which may end his season. I hate to see anything like that happen, especially in a senior year. MUS played without their top two receivers, but the team stepped up and showed there's a lot of talent there. Next week vs. Olive Branch will be a huge test for the Owls.

I guess you know by now that MUS absolutely dominated, scoring on their first three possessions. Gabriel Hunter was held to 42 yards before suffering a PCL injury which may end his season. I hate to see anything like that happen, especially in a senior year. MUS played without their top two receivers, but the team stepped up and showed there's a lot of talent there. Next week vs. Olive Branch will be a huge test for the Owls.

Suddenly, I think that MUS has got to be made the favorite vs Olive Branch, MS. Olive Branch's suspect defense is the reason for my assestment!

At this moment (I'm listening to it on the internet) Olive Branch, MS is getting absolutely embarassed Pahokee, FL 47-27 late 4th Qtr (6 minutes left). The score was 47-20 @ one point, moving closer to the 35-pt "mercy rule..." Olive Branch's defense has not stopped Pahokee ONCE in the 2nd-half, NOT ONCE! OB's multiple 2nd-half turnovers have not helped them, either.

For what it's worth, the announcers said that Pahokee was 14-0 last year...so, they're probably a very strong team again this year.

The score was only 21-20 @ halftime, Pahokee.

In the 1st half, Olive Branch was scoring but could not stopp Pahokee. Then came the 2nd half....the flood gates opened. The rest is history.

--------------------------------------------

Although it appears OB is not as strong defensively (also Pahokee may have another Championship caliber team this year), MUS is still likely to have a tough game on its hands vs OB, simply because MUS' pass defense is suspect.

Suddenly, I think that MUS has got to be made the favorite vs Olive Branch, MS. Olive Branch's suspect defense is the reason for my assestment!

At this moment (I'm listening to it on the internet) Olive Branch, MS is getting absolutely embarassed Pahokee, FL 47-27 late 4th Qtr (6 minutes left). The score was 47-20 @ one point, moving closer to the 35-pt "mercy rule..." Olive Branch's defense has not stopped Pahokee ONCE in the 2nd-half, NOT ONCE! OB's multiple 2nd-half turnovers have not helped them, either.

---------------------------------------------------

Score update: Pahokee 47 -- OB 34. 3-mins left. OB just recovered a fumble in Pahokee's Red Zone, after kickoff.

---------------------------------------------------

Score update: Pahokee 47 -- OB 34. 3-mins left. OB just recovered a fumble in Pahokee's Red Zone, after kickoff.

OB scores again!

Pahokee 47 - OB 41. 2:48 mins left....... OB will likely now go for onsides kick... No, OB kicks it long, with 2:42 left

-----------------------------------------------

MUS fans, it looks like ya'll are gonna' have to bring a stout defense in order to defeat OB, this Friday nite. You're gonna have your hands full!

OB scores again!

Pahokee 47 - OB 41. 2:48 mins left....... OB will likely now go for onsides kick... No, OB kicks it long, with 2:42 left

-----------------------------------------------

MUS fans, it looks like ya'll are gonna' have to bring a stout defense in order to defeat OB, this Friday nite. You're gonna have your hands full!

Score Update: Pahokee 47 - OB 48.

------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, you read that right, MUS fans!!!!

OB has actually scored 28 unanswered points, to take the lead, with 1:46 left in the game! OB is now gonna kick off, again....

After OB scored to get within 6, Pahokee got a couple of penalties, then threw an interception in its own territory. OB scored a few seconds later!

Score Update: Pahokee 47 - OB 48.

Yes, you read that right, MUS fans!!!!

OB has actually scored 28 unanswered points, to take the lead, with 1:46 left in the game! OB is now gonna kick off, again....

After OB scored to get within 6, Pahokee got a couple of penalties, then threw an interception in its own territory. OB scored a few seconds later!

Wow..What a turnaround..Suppose to be going home from work but am going to wait to see your update!

Wow..What a turnaround..Suppose to be going home from work but am going to wait to see your update!

Score Update:

-----------------------------------------

MUS' next opponent, Olive Branch defeats Pahokee, FL in a comeback for the ages:

Olive Branch, MS 48 ----------- Pahokee, FL 47. Final!!!!!!!!!

----------------------------------------------------

After OB went up 48 - 47 (with under 2-mins to play), Pahokee drove down to OB's 1-yard line, with only 2 seconds to go! Pahokee had no time outs (clock stopped to move chains) & attempted to rush up & do a QB sneak....Flag, for illegal procedure.

Pahokee, got one last shot to pull out the victory (BTW, Pahokee's has no kicking game). OB then stopped them @ the 5 yard line.

Game over!

Olive Branch, MS overcomes a 47 - 20 2nd-half defecit, to defeat Pahokee, FL.

The announcers were in shock. Everybody in the stands, apparently, were stunned! Heck, even I was shocked!

To all MUS fans....and nearby Memphis area HS football fans....and nearby Olive Branch, MS (only 5-10 minutes South of Memphis)....

It looks like this Friday nite's Olive Branch, MS at MUS football game is shaping up to be a barn barner!

Both teams undefeated. Both teams feature excellent offenses. Both teams have excellent kicking games.

MUS APPEARS to be the better defensive unit. OB has the HEART of a warrior, though--they never quit!

Wow! I'm still trying to catch my breath, after that thrilling OB comeback victory!

That's got to be the absolute most exciting HS football game to which I have EVER listened!

I'm Still in shocked; almost in disbelief, that a HS football team can storm back from a 4-TD deficit (late 3rd qtr) and manage to win, especially when their defense showed absolutely NO signs of life!

I mean, one minute the announcers were talking about the (35pts in Florida, according to the announcers)

"Mercy Rule." The next minute, they were talking about how UNBELIEVABLE a comeback they were witnessing!

Amazing. Absolutely amazing!

Give me your thoughts on the following games and what other games are you interested in?

Whitehaven vs Fairley:

Last week Fairley beat Westwood 49-0. Whitehaven beat Mitchell 27-0. What do you guys think will happen this week? Persoanlly, I don't think Fairley saw anything CLOSE to resembeling what they will see this week verses WHS. This will be a classic game. I'm rooting for WHS, if you didn't know by now.

Melrose vs. Mitchell:

Last week Melrose lost to MUS ... 12-13. Mitchel lost to Whitehaven 27-0. I think Melrose wins this game. Both loss games to good teams, Melrose just competed better ... heck ... they could have won it.

MUS vs Kingsbury:

Last week MUS barley beat a good Melrose team 13-12. Kingsbury dominated Central a region 7-5A team by a score of 39-0. Last years Shelby-Metro rushing leader, Kingsbury's Gabriel Hunter rushed for about 255 yard in 15 carries. MUS will not face another RB this year as good as the Ole Miss bound Mr. Hunter. I'm picking Kingsbury because I think Gabe gets a buck fifty, maybe even more and the Kingsbury 'D' is better then what will be expected.

Ridgeway vs. CBHS:

Ridgeway showed vast improvement in their 26-15 victory over Covington last week. But it must be noted that Ridgeway is 5A and Covington is 3A. CBHS had is hands full last week squeeking out a 10-7 victory over a revamped Whitestation team. CBHS faced the more daunting task last week facing Whitestation and Ridgeway showed growth in starting out the season with a win. I'm picking CBHS.

Those are the games of note to me in the City ... comments, opinions, and the mention of other games are welcome.

Whitehaven vs Fairley: WHS wins 20-14 in OT ... One of the best games I've seen between these two neighborhood rivalries. Fairley has a very good team ... no need for me to elaborate on this game just click the link below.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/...ives-ot-battle/

Melrose vs. Mitchell: Melrose wins as expected, 36-14. Tramarcus Toney had another big night throwing for 322 yards. That's two games in a row against pretty good competition that he's thrown for over 250 yards. Their passing game is clicking and the season is early.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/...-rout-mitchell/

Interesting note: Last week, Melrose had the leading reciever (Mike Porter) who ammassed about 180 yards receiving. This week, they have the leading receiver again ... but this is a different guy (Darnell Washington), and he garnered 176 yards. Not to mention Tramarcus hit Justin Calhoun to torch Mitchel for an 85 yarder. Well, well, well ... I'm definately keeping my eye on this development.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/aug/30/s30top/

MUS vs Kingsbury: MUS mauls Kingsbury 45-8. It looks as if Gabe may be through for the season. Possible torn PCL is what they think. The MUS offense is rolling ... but it appears that the Kingsbury 'D' is not what I thought it would be.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/...0/crushing-win/

Ridgeway vs. CBHS: CBHS romped over Ridgeway 31-7. I see Ridgeway has a long way to go. The Purple wave has won two in a row. I had hoped that Ridgeway would of had a better showing ... but the season is young, there is time for improvement. Read CBHS's write up along with the rest.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/...9-231859763034/

I'll try to start next weeks thread a little earlier.