Top Guards in East Tennessee

GHSgozz22

Tnbreakers I agree with what you're saying, but Have you seen Science Hill's defense???? Pressure Defense is SH's trademark and they are awesome at it. When you play SH you have to be prepared to play against 32 min of pure pressure D. Yea SH is generally great offensively but they kill other teams with their defense. As a team they play incredible defense.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point!! Sometimes people don't realize it takes good team defense to accomplish a goal. You have seen Nick play for us and know how well he defends. But, as a team, Science Hill is great at pressure defense. Maryville will have to have more than Lee to win. If he is the only bright spot for them, look for Poe to put extra pressure when he gets the ball (if they ever play). Last year everyone thought Maryville would come out of Knoxville along with Oak Ridge. Strange things can happen during tourney time. You know that Breaker. Good Luck next year in AAU. We will have the same nucleus (Vince, Jerome Odem, Azmar Blye, Henry Williams, & Lester Bailey). Probably adding Lamon Phillips. He could be another JaMichael Mills if he gets his act together.

[Edited by Stokomo on 8-24-02 9:49A]

Maybe your player hasn't faced anyone like Lee before!? It's a two way street, you're biased for you and I'm biased for me, I'm not saying Lee cannot be stopped, but I've never in 3 years seen it. I've seen players as tall as 6'6" and as short as 5'11" play against him and none of them have actually stopped him! Jon Scruggs was a great defender with great hands and a year older than Lee, but still, I never saw Jon get the better of him. Thing is the harder you play against him the harder he plays against you, most players will eventually fold, but not Lee. Lee plays to win no matter what he's playing. He could be playing chicken and he'd die if he thought he'd win. I still, personally, don't see anyone stopping him. He may not be able to drive around you, but he will use speed and jumping ability to beat you. I'm not saying Lee's perfect or that he cannot be stopped. I am saying that he's darn good and its going to take more than one person to stop him, ask William Blount what it takes!

Guest sharpshooter12
Posted by Surf4life:

I don't think I'll ask William Blount considering the boys of Science Hill KILLED them. Maybe you should ask William Blount about SH defense.

SH has a good team defense, but it wouldn't work that well if you were to play Maryville. It's not hard for Lee to create his own shot, especially if he brings the ball up and has one defender on him. But seeing how WB beat Maryville in the region... I think all MaryvilleRebels was trying to say is that it takes more than straight up man. But then again SH doesn't play Maryville, and Bradley, I don't think can handle Lee. So why still argue about it? After all I have seen both of these players play more than once. I just forgot what number Nick was for Science Hill.

You may have not read Surf's comments correctly. He talked about Science Hill's pressure defense. You stated it wouldn't work against Maryville if Science Hill were to play a straight up man. Science Hill plays pressure trapping defense for 32 minutes. Lee would not get much because the other players for Maryville are weak. The pressure defense would be geared towards Lee. Nick would guard Lee and make it hard for him to get the ball. Like the YOMCA team we played in the state. Their touted best player was held to only 7 points. I put Nick on him and told Nick not to let him get the ball. I'm not putting down Lee, I'm only stating that Nick can guard him. Like Michael Jordan was guarded by Dennis Rodman and stopped him for 2-3 years before they finally broke out. One, you make it hard for the guy to get the ball. Then, you play great team defense to stop him. I'm saying he would not get many looks to score a lot. I saw Lee play at Carson-Newman and he is good, but no Ron Mercer or Tony Harris. They said Ron Mercer couldn't be stopped and look what O.D. Williams (Science Hill) did to him. Everybody, and I mean everybody, can be stopped if the proper techniques of defense are applied. ;)

Juuan Smith from McMinn is the best guard in the state. He can shoot, dribble, and pass. Justin Hare and Kellen Pickle are some of the best too. Tim Cooper and Jay Davis at Cleveland can light up the hoops. I think these five are as good as anybody you all have talked about from SH or Maryville. They are young too. All of them are just junors.

Very true Stokomo...you can't score if you don't have the ball. It's not only Nick that can play defense though. That is what is taught at Science Hill. Everyone on the team can guard the ballhandlers. Nick is the man with the quickest feet and quickest hands and a nose for the ball. He has good anticipation. He can embarrass you if you're not careful. Ju Bowling is another that can keep you from getting the ball. He has long arms and is athletic like his brother. I'm getting pumped up to watch this years squad.