Div I/II/III vs Public High Schools

macavol98

My son recently got called by 4 "Division III"football coaches with full scholarship offers, new JAG, Free tics to all Titan games and free Nike wrist bands. Can you beat that?

Private schools provide "Financial Aid" to supplement the parents tutition. The applications are sent to a "Clearing House". The clearing house decides who gets the financial aid and how much. Private school administrators have no say who gets the aid. If the flute players family has a greater need for the aid than the running back family, then the flute player gets the aid. Private school programs (sports, fine arts, etc) recruit prospective students because of thier success, and kids want to be part of a successful program.

you are correct when you say "Private schools provide "Financial Aid" to supplement the parents tutition. The applications are sent to a "Clearing House". The clearing house decides who gets the financial aid and how much. Private school administrators have no say who gets the aid"

point is that the flute players does not get the invite to attend open house at the private school or gets a formal intro from a coach or booster member, i really dont think the band director hangs out at the middle school when the middle school has a band performance..

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he wants a future great flute player he would.....

Private high schools don't have the luxury of drawing great flute players from 2 or 3 middle schools. Usually it is just one or none. So that band director would need to get out to surrounding middle schools to check out the talent, or be faced with a crappy band.

In Middle Tennessee the band director would not go to several middle schools in search of a great flute player. They would go to the Blair School of Music program at Vanderbilt or the Nashville Junior Symphony and look for one of the best flute players in the Southeast.

You're exactly right. That explains all the state champiosnhips at MBA from 1969 until the split (0), all the ones at Ryan (1), Baylor (0), McAllie (0), MUS (0), and CBHS (0). The only one to win more than 1 was BA, and most of theirs were in lower divisions.

I frequently contact MBA to demand the firing of the recruiting coordinator, especially in light of the 4-6 debacle 2 yrs ago. I figure since I send money to the school, I should have a significant say in how things are run. All I ever get is a list of alumni in the mental health field.

I'm forwarding the list to you, since you seem to need it more than me.

You made a slight error. Christian Brothers won the 1977 Triple AAA State Championship in football. And Baylor won the 1973 Triple AAA State Championship in Football /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

And the band director could tell the prospective woodwinds musician that because of FOOTBALL, he or she will have the opportunity to perform in front of hundreds and possibly thousands during halftimes on Friday nights. Of course, drum lines are growing with popularity. I think I'd recruit a good drummer before a good flute player.

Most all Div. I/II/III schools illegally recruit players by way of scholarships, etc. They may have a small enrollment but they will have some of the best athletes in the area. I know. I was recruited and it was blatant. Saw alot of illegal things such as providing kids with bogus paying jobs, money, cars etc. So when a Div I/II/III school beats or loses to a public high school, it's not a big deal. Brentwood Academy has, and has had as much talent as most 5A schools in the state. The Mcallie team I saw tonight would beat alot of 5A teams.

Props to Ravenwood for a great win.

Go Rebs.

Great! Please contact the TSSAA and provide them with the evidence you have.

And the band director could tell the prospective woodwinds musician that because of FOOTBALL, he or she will have the opportunity to perform in front of hundreds and possibly thousands during halftimes on Friday nights. Of course, drum lines are growing with popularity. I think I'd recruit a good drummer before a good flute player.

This is some funny stuff! I would like to see public and private toether in their respective divisions. I think that way everyone would know who the best teams in the state were year in and out and not only in football, all sports. Private schools don't recruit I think thats a bunch of crap! They may assist some families financially but I think most families who go to the private schools do so because of family traditions and they can afford to send their children there. There also may be other reasons.

This is some funny stuff! I would like to see public and private toether in their respective divisions. I think that way everyone would know who the best teams in the state were year in and out and not only in football, all sports. Private schools don't recruit I think thats a bunch of crap! They may assist some families financially but I think most families who go to the private schools do so because of family traditions and they can afford to send their children there. There also may be other reasons.

when you say private schools dont recruit, i agree they entice... they assist wanting to make the program beeter by going after the studs- personally i dont have no problem with them doing this...

In the near future there will be a new regulatory association in Tennessee for Private Schools and the TSSAA will loose all DII schools. The private/public debate will end and everyone from Ronnie Carter to Private school Board of Trustees will be happy. The fans will loose out. No more McCallie vs Franklin, BA vs Ravenwood, BGA vs. Page, Ensworth vs. Brentwood etc.

In the near future there will be a new regulatory association in Tennessee for Private Schools and the TSSAA will loose all DII schools. The private/public debate will end and everyone from Ronnie Carter to Private school Board of Trustees will be happy. The fans will loose out. No more McCallie vs Franklin, BA vs Ravenwood, BGA vs. Page, Ensworth vs. Brentwood etc.

Just a quick question. Why would'nt they still schedule the private schools to play one another? I would quess they would still do this!