Maryville Freshmen v Alcoa JV

Rebel9

I think Punisher is referencing the TSSAA Repeating Rule for 7th and 8th graders, which states that persons are ineligible for athletic participation as 9th graders if they repeat either of those grades after passing the grade. However, a player would be eligible as a 9th grader if they failed 7th or 8th grade, and then repeated the grade. I have zero knowledge of this situation but perhaps that is the explanation or it could be that I just don't understand the rule completely.

Now that I know the situation, this is exactly my question. Here is the rule as stated on the TSSAA website: Any student repeating the 7th grade after having passed the 7th grade or repeating the 8th grade after passing the 8th grade shall not be eligible to participate in athletics during their 9th grade year.

I believe the "home school" year would have to count as either repeating 8th grade, or his freshman year in high school. Therefore, he is either a freshman that is not eligible to compete in athletics, or he is a sophomore. Either way, he should not be on the freshman team, and should only have 3 years of high school eligibility.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that I know the situation, this is exactly my question. Here is the rule as stated on the TSSAA website: Any student repeating the 7th grade after having passed the 7th grade or repeating the 8th grade after passing the 8th grade shall not be eligible to participate in athletics during their 9th grade year.

I believe the "home school" year would have to count as either repeating 8th grade, or his freshman year in high school. Therefore, he is either a freshman that is not eligible to compete in athletics, or he is a sophomore. Either way, he should not be on the freshman team, and should only have 3 years of high school eligibility.

Your interpretation is almost the same as mine except the way I read the rule, if a person does not pass the 7th or 8th grade and then repeats the grade and passes, they would then be eligible for participation in athletics in 9th grade. The "home school" year could be a repeat of the grade after failing the grade, in which case the player would be eligible for 9th grade athletic participation.

Your interpretation is almost the same as mine except the way I read the rule, if a person does not pass the 7th or 8th grade and then repeats the grade and passes, they would then be eligible for participation in athletics in 9th grade. The "home school" year could be a repeat of the grade after failing the grade, in which case the player would be eligible for 9th grade athletic participation.

I think you would be correct if he failed 8th grade, but that is not the case. From what I have heard, he is extremely intelligent and actually took math classes at HHS while in middle school at HMS.

Other studs for Alcoa were John Tucker Rankin and #44

post some specifics about rankin if you dont mind...whats he play and how big is he now? he was always a fixture around the riverdale program just like his father. he was on the sidelines among the players during the games at a young age and coach rankin even had started letting him work out a little in the weightroom among the players before he left.

raised a winner, im sure he'll be a talent. i was just surprised to see his name in the post i forgot he was in HS this year

He missed out on Junior Primary so we had to make it up somewhere. Besides, we didn't want him in Jared Miller's class. We are just getting the stars aligned...........don't y'all getchie panties in a wad! /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

Rebullsman we all no that Tater and Uncle Ronnie got all this figgured out......Eye thank he passed tha 8th graid and had to sit out last yeer as punishmunt and he didunt inrole at Mairvul......Thiz has tha Mountain Ears goin' plus losin' Tallent, McGlothlin, etc. two Alcouh......... /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Rebullsman gooder point on keepin' tha QB's spreded out...... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> ........ /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

post some specifics about rankin if you dont mind...whats he play and how big is he now? he was always a fixture around the riverdale program just like his father. he was on the sidelines among the players during the games at a young age and coach rankin even had started letting him work out a little in the weightroom among the players before he left.

raised a winner, im sure he'll be a talent. i was just surprised to see his name in the post i forgot he was in HS this year

I was told he played center is 6' 210lbs if I remember correctly. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Someone let me know if im incorrect!

Well I have not spoke to him yet this year, I'm still trying to find out his jersey # so if someone has it please tell me. If he is at the weight he was aiming for he should be around 215lbs. I could only guess his height so I will leave that to others.

As to his character you are right. He is a winner. I had the privalege of coaching him in wrestling and his work ethic is 2nd to none. He would work out hard in football weight training, then hurry over tro practice and run the mile or whatever he missed if I wasn't drilling them on moves. A few days he ran after practice just to make sure he did not miss the key points of the day. He never complained and his first year he beat a few guys who had a couple years under their belt by being persistent and doing the few things he had picked up. When he did lose matches he took it with grace, knowing that he was more inexperienced, but he still hated to lose, and I like that in any person. I can also say that his dad is a good man as well. I hope that wrestling helps him in football, and I am gald that Alcoa has a football coach that supports the program. He has tallent and will be a winner.

Well I have not spoke to him yet this year, I'm still trying to find out his jersey # so if someone has it please tell me. If he is at the weight he was aiming for he should be around 215lbs. I could only guess his height so I will leave that to others.

As to his character you are right. He is a winner. I had the privalege of coaching him in wrestling and his work ethic is 2nd to none. He would work out hard in football weight training, then hurry over tro practice and run the mile or whatever he missed if I wasn't drilling them on moves. A few days he ran after practice just to make sure he did not miss the key points of the day. He never complained and his first year he beat a few guys who had a couple years under their belt by being persistent and doing the few things he had picked up. When he did lose matches he took it with grace, knowing that he was more inexperienced, but he still hated to lose, and I like that in any person. I can also say that his dad is a good man as well. I hope that wrestling helps him in football, and I am gald that Alcoa has a football coach that supports the program. He has tallent and will be a winner.

mc I've never seen a kid yet that wrestling didn't help on the football field it is a great sport and i wish it was more recognized as such here in the south. by the way have you gotten that maroon from clinton to give MHS and 20 friday night?

mc I've never seen a kid yet that wrestling didn't help on the football field it is a great sport and i wish it was more recognized as such here in the south. by the way have you gotten that maroon from clinton to give MHS and 20 friday night?

No he won't give anything, it looks like I'll be taking care of my own loans. I was hoping I could get him to sign off for grad school next year as well but thats alright. The one thing his son was hoping for is more explosion and balance for blocking, I assured him that wrestling builds that and more.

Wasnt it the MAryville Fresh vs The Alcoa Fresh? or is it put on here that alcoas JV played just to make MAryville look more big and bad?

They did play a few sophomores, but didn't let them do anything big...coaches wanted to give the freshmen a chance to win their own game. Alcoa just relaxed in the second half and payed for it in the end. It sure was fun to watch though /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

How did Tyson, Warren, Sharp, Isom look in the "JV" game? /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

None of them played...only a few sophomores played and it wasn't them

JT is #55......Accordin two tha program 205....Plays center and DT and he will be a good 'un......