Signal Mountain vs. South Pittsburg

signalbirdie

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone want to comment on last nights game? Signal looked pretty good even though they had 5 turnovers. South Pittsburg had some good athletes as well.

How can you comment on a game like this when Signal has junior and senior transfers vs. SP freshmen and sophomores? I agree Signal has some good athletes and will be a team to recon with in the near future but I don't see what is fair to their opponents this year with them playing a jr. varsity schedule with upper classmen being the Signal team. Not blaming anyone, just stating my opinion. Promise you...we will be ready once the varsity schedule begins for Signal.

They don't have seniors but I agree with much of the rest of it. There is talk they have players from down in the city after it was first claimed the school would be exclusively zoned at least for a year or two.

I heard they have transfers from Red Bank & Baylor...don't blame the kids either if they were traveling down the mtn to get to school. I'd stay at home too. Fact is...the SP jr. varsity does not even practice as a jr varsity squad. They practice with varsity. So that means our kids were just thrown together at game time for the game with Signal as they will be if they play any more jr. varsity games. Don't know that we will beat Signal every time we may play them, but I guarantee you it will be a different story than everyone saw in the jamboree or the jr. varsity game if they are on our schedule.

They have transfers from Baylor and Red Bank who are likely Signal Mountain residents. The junior varsity status allows the transfers from the private schools, and any other schools besides Red Bank (if they're Signal Mountain residents it wouldn't matter) to compete this year. If they'd been varsity those players would have had to sit out. Traveling down Signal to Red Bank isn't that hard of a trip though I can see how the community would want its own school.

IMO Signal Mountain is ready to play on a Varsity level instead of the JV level they are playing this year. I don't blame any of the kids at Signal. I would rather see them go to the closer school anyways. The program is going to be really good in a couple of years. On the other hand, SP played Freshman and Sophomores. Cmon, not really a fair game to discuss, but nevertheless I give Signal credit. Now if they had played the Varsity, I guarantee it would have been about a 4-5 TD difference and SP coming out on top. It was a great opportunity for both schools and kids. I wish the best of luck to both.

Sequatchie, for one, was thinking or was initially notified Signal Mountain would be varsity this year, that's why the game with East Literature Magnet from Nashville had to be played last Friday. Maybe they figured out their transfers would be ineligible and would rather stay at their former schools instead of sit out a season. They are playing varsity in their other sports.

Old Pirate says SM has a right too be proud of their talented young team. However OP says beware of putting those rose colored glasses own. The SP JV is mostly freshman who have been battle tested every day in practice with the varsity and went unbeaten in middle school. OP thinks SP gained far more than the average fan would think. OP is rather sure they only worked together as a unit minutes before the game. The ones that witnessed the game only felt better about this young SP group. OP says getting ear holed can make a player better if he has the right stuff.

OP has stated in earlier threads that SM would not be the standard start up program. OP warns the Chatt area beware................you'll continue to loose players. The school has a lot to offer and many will want to be a part of it.

SM playing a jv schedule certainly gives them a decided advantage with their team working dailey on plays and timing. OP sees SM staff as a group who is attempting to instill a winning tradition from scratch and has created a lot of excitement. This will get the attention of families and athletes alike. OP says loosing can be very disruptive in building a program. OP sees this game was a positive for both programs, good job SM.

excuse me for being dumb but do jr varsity games count and do they get to play for a state championship because seems to me that it doesnt mean to much if not. who cares who wins those games they are primarily for learning, am i right. If it does mean so much to south pittsburg to win every game even jr varsity games that they get on here and say its not fair that signal mountain played varsity players then why doesnt the band play at halftime of those same games and cheerleaders cheer and you actually pay to get in to those games.

just a thought