Science Hill & Morristown West

JRTOPPERS

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year's game at Burke-Toney saw Science Hill win a shutout 21-0. This was a very misleading score. West hung around long enough to keep the Toppers holding their breath throughout most of the 2nd half. Isaac Kinley had a fantastic game with lengthy punt and interception returns. Javan Joslin also had an athletic interception to help decide the game. West is an athletic team, and based on last season, maybe slightly more athletic than Elizabethton. Science Hill is going to have to wake up for this one or an upset could be in the making. Junior receiver Wes Forbush is coming into his own as the Toppers #1 wideout and accepted the challenge last week against Elizabethton. Look for Forbush, Mitchell, Canepa, Janeway, and Macpherson to touch the ball, along with of course: Isaac Kinley. On the defensive side, look for the secondary to play well, as Forbush has 2 picks in 2 games, Kinley is a long standing athletic veteran at safety, and Daniel Norris has the skill to play opposite Forbush at a corner. Jeff Green and Logan Honeycutt will handle most of the tackles in the box, but if West can get the ball outside, pursuit tackles have been a problem for SH. Kicker Brandon MacAuley, 100% on FGs and PATs last season, returns from a groin injury this week, and the Toppers take this one 28-14.

Yeah 28-14. Thats my pick, take it or leave it. They only win by 2 TDs instead of shutting them out and winning by 3 TDs, like last year..

28-14 ?? It is another day ---Which one is they ? 28-24 sounds about

right but you may have the wrong team with the 28 unless you are

counting on a little home cooking . Both teams need this scrimmage

to keep in shape for conference games. I figure MW will try a few

new plays just to keep their fans entertained . The Hill Toppers are

always competitive so I expect both teams to put on a good show.

28-14 ?? It is another day ---Which one is they ? 28-24 sounds about

right but you may have the wrong team with the 28 unless you are

counting on a little home cooking . Both teams need this scrimmage

to keep in shape for conference games. I figure MW will try a few

new plays just to keep their fans entertained . The Hill Toppers are

always competitive so I expect both teams to put on a good show.

First, based on my playing experience there, SH never gets a call at home. Usually the most inaccurate measurements and penalties go against the Toppers at home and some of the worst penalties are missed with refs seemingly standing right in front of the play. (See last years ugly hold by the RT on the back side of the play that would end up deciding the TN High- SH game last year). Second, SH has steadily improved since last season. Though they lost to South, they played their hearts out and kept it close (21-19), for a good portion of the second half. This is a different SH team, the attitude and mentality that they were said to lack last season has reappeared. The Toppers played a dogfight at Elizabethton and held on for a wild victory and have the bye week to prepare for MW. MW will bring a talented team to JC, and could pull out the victory, but IMO, they will not for these reasons:

1) Kinley. 5 played well in the loss to South and well in the win over the Cyclones. Playing both ways has not seemed to be a problem for Isaac, as Norris comes in and takes some snaps to give him a rest. This offense lives and dies on the play of Kinley, Canepa, Jordan, and Forbush. Macpherson and Janeway will get touches, but what Isaac does at the QB position will be key to deciding the game.

2) The Topper defense, so far this season, has been a bit shaky against the run. Look for the practices leading up to the MW game to emphasize physicality, nastiness, and having the whole team pursue the football wherever it goes. They've faced two of the area's top running backs in Taylor Fletcher and Cody Forbes, and have had mixed results. Fletcher had 196 yds and Forbes broke a few long plays against them. They will be ready to defend and will play with a swagger once they gain some confidence.

3) My player who will have to step up: Larry Smith, #1 for the Toppers. Look for Daniel Norris, when in the game, to find a way to get the ball to Larry, who is a 6'6 wide out. Not much speed, but he can catch, move laterally, and is hard to take down. He always wins jump ball situations.

4) Kicker Brandon MacAuley is expected to be back and that should be a boost to the SH special teams with relief kicker Jay Lauderback having a rough outing against Elizabethton. Hopefully Coach Smith will manage this game correctly. To sum it all up, Kinley and Forbush will play well and hook up on offense, while providing energy in the defensive secondary. This game will be wild and unconventional, but i'm sticking by my pick: SH-28 MW-14 on account of that it is a home game and SH should carry some momentum from the hard fought win against Elizabethton. Good luck to all, and pray for protection of everyone on the field or in the stands. I look forward to a good game and hopefully a Topper victory.

First, based on my playing experience there, SH never gets a call at home. Usually the most inaccurate measurements and penalties go against the Toppers at home and some of the worst penalties are missed with refs seemingly standing right in front of the play. (See last years ugly hold by the RT on the back side of the play that would end up deciding the TN High- SH game last year). Second, SH has steadily improved since last season. Though they lost to South, they played their hearts out and kept it close (21-19), for a good portion of the second half. This is a different SH team, the attitude and mentality that they were said to lack last season has reappeared. The Toppers played a dogfight at Elizabethton and held on for a wild victory and have the bye week to prepare for MW. MW will bring a talented team to JC, and could pull out the victory, but IMO, they will not for these reasons:

1) Kinley. 5 played well in the loss to South and well in the win over the Cyclones. Playing both ways has not seemed to be a problem for Isaac, as Norris comes in and takes some snaps to give him a rest. This offense lives and dies on the play of Kinley, Canepa, Jordan, and Forbush. Macpherson and Janeway will get touches, but what Isaac does at the QB position will be key to deciding the game.

2) The Topper defense, so far this season, has been a bit shaky against the run. Look for the practices leading up to the MW game to emphasize physicality, nastiness, and having the whole team pursue the football wherever it goes. They've faced two of the area's top running backs in Taylor Fletcher and Cody Forbes, and have had mixed results. Fletcher had 196 yds and Forbes broke a few long plays against them. They will be ready to defend and will play with a swagger once they gain some confidence.

3) My player who will have to step up: Larry Smith, #1 for the Toppers. Look for Daniel Norris, when in the game, to find a way to get the ball to Larry, who is a 6'6 wide out. Not much speed, but he can catch, move laterally, and is hard to take down. He always wins jump ball situations.

4) Kicker Brandon MacAuley is expected to be back and that should be a boost to the SH special teams with relief kicker Jay Lauderback having a rough outing against Elizabethton. Hopefully Coach Smith will manage this game correctly. To sum it all up, Kinley and Forbush will play well and hook up on offense, while providing energy in the defensive secondary. This game will be wild and unconventional, but i'm sticking by my pick: SH-28 MW-14 on account of that it is a home game and SH should carry some momentum from the hard fought win against Elizabethton. Good luck to all, and pray for protection of everyone on the field or in the stands. I look forward to a good game and hopefully a Topper victory.

Well said I think that larry can be more physical, and I would like to see him play with the passion his dad did he was a beast. I'm not taking anything away from Larry He is a great young man I'm glad Norris got a shot @ Qb this year he is a great "all around" kid. I just hope he sticks with football. I look for Mondo to have a coming out party this year and I hope that this is the game Mondo you know your my boy love ya man

TOPPERS 28----MO WEST 21

This could definitely be the game. Armando is a talented young guy with a bright future. Playing alongside him last season, I personally experienced his hard work ethic and will to succeed. Getting him his carries should be a top priority for Coach Smith. Armando has enough speed and vision to make the finesse play, but at the same time his low center of gravity combined with hard offseason lifting has given him the ability to simply run over people. He is a threat to bust the long gain and is a workhorse for the offense. Hopefully he'll show up and @@@@ up some good numbers while leading his team to a win. (28-14)

This could definitely be the game. Armando is a talented young guy with a bright future. Playing alongside him last season, I personally experienced his hard work ethic and will to succeed. Getting him his carries should be a top priority for Coach Smith. Armando has enough speed and vision to make the finesse play, but at the same time his low center of gravity combined with hard offseason lifting has given him the ability to simply run over people. He is a threat to bust the long gain and is a workhorse for the offense. Hopefully he'll show up and @@@@ up some good numbers while leading his team to a win. (28-14)

I do not know that much about Science Hill, but after last year's game I respect them a great deal. I do feel that this will be a better game for West than last year's game, but I am not certain that it will be enough to get the win.

West's offense has come together in the last two games and seems to be making strides to be a complete unit with a number of weapons. If we are able to execute our game plan offensively, I feel that the offense will be able to play with SH's defense.

However, the defense seemed to have a little letdown last week against Cherokee after a stellar performance against Jeff. I realize that this happens and perhaps even is to be expected, but we cannot make the same mistakes against SH and expect to win. We will have to be extremely physical on defense and take the game to SH. If we allow them to execute their offense I am not certain we have the speed to keep up.

Overall, I am looking for a good game. Go Trojans!