Science Hill & Morristown West

JRTOPPERS

Isaac Kinley is a stud, and he made two huge plays last year that turned the game in the favor of the Toppers. But this is a new season, and the Trojans have already faced a running QB when they faced Jefferson County, and they won that game handily. I personally believe that SH is not as good a team as JCHS, but they have talent all over the field. It's going to be hard for any team to beat MoWest this season being one-dimensional, and the Toppers have not shown enough of a passing game in their two games this season to prove to me that they will do more than run the football with Kinley. Also, for those who think that MoWest is just slightly more athletic than Elizabethton, you don't know a lot about the Trojans. Obviously, MoWest is loaded with bigger players, but they have speed and moves as well. Sean Jones at QB for the Trojans has made a huge difference since his return, and the opening loss to Catholic is now a distant memory. I think the dual threat of J.J. Goforth and Terrell Fredericks coming out of the backfield for MoWest, along with the throwing of Jones to Tyrell McKinney, Tyler Swain, Laith Callahan, Tyler Brice and big tight end Jake Spivey will help the Trojans in this one. Also, the brother combo at linebacker of Phillip and Michael Cantwell will help slow (not stop) the Toppers rushing attack forcing them to throw more than they would like. And when the ball is in the air, look for Cedric White and Clark Vandergriff to make enough plays for MoWest to grab a tough, non-conference road win.

MoWest 28, Science Hill 20

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isaac Kinley is a stud, and he made two huge plays last year that turned the game in the favor of the Toppers. But this is a new season, and the Trojans have already faced a running QB when they faced Jefferson County, and they won that game handily. I personally believe that SH is not as good a team as JCHS, but they have talent all over the field. It's going to be hard for any team to beat MoWest this season being one-dimensional, and the Toppers have not shown enough of a passing game in their two games this season to prove to me that they will do more than run the football with Kinley. Also, for those who think that MoWest is just slightly more athletic than Elizabethton, you don't know a lot about the Trojans. Obviously, MoWest is loaded with bigger players, but they have speed and moves as well. Sean Jones at QB for the Trojans has made a huge difference since his return, and the opening loss to Catholic is now a distant memory. I think the dual threat of J.J. Goforth and Terrell Fredericks coming out of the backfield for MoWest, along with the throwing of Jones to Tyrell McKinney, Tyler Swain, Laith Callahan, Tyler Brice and big tight end Jake Spivey will help the Trojans in this one. Also, the brother combo at linebacker of Phillip and Michael Cantwell will help slow (not stop) the Toppers rushing attack forcing them to throw more than they would like. And when the ball is in the air, look for Cedric White and Clark Vandergriff to make enough plays for MoWest to grab a tough, non-conference road win.

MoWest 28, Science Hill 20

Thanks for coming on and making a pick with a good description and argument behind it instead of just coming on and bashing a person's pick. That is the difference between having a mature conversation and pre game analysis and just hatin on somebodie's pick like some MW ppl have. I think that MW will come in and play well, but in the end, it will be the play of Isaac that bails the Toppers out. I'm not saying he is unstoppable, but he consistently puts up good numbers at any position he plays and he plays to win. This being his senior year, and playing a position that he is unfamiliar with, that says alot. The Trojans will play well and 28-14 will be closer than the score indicates. I've been wrong before, but that's my pick and I'm sticking with it. People can make as much out of it as they want, but its my pick. People pick the games for fun and root for their team. There are only 3 teams that i would sincerely pick to beat SH: Tennessee High, Knox Bearden, and Dobyns-Bennett. Trojans think that they will come in and beat SH at home while Toppers think that they will give MW a tough game and win. These opinions are biased on both sides and mean nothing until kickoff.

Anyone know anything about Moses? Seems like he should be on the field more...offense or defense...

I think he could be a key player but doesn't seem to get much playing time

I can tell you why he's not playing offense, but I played defense with him before I graduated, and he has the ability to atleast spell some of the starting guys maybe during the 2nd and 3rd qtrs.

1) Moses shared carries with Solomon and Armando last season, with Solomon, of course, getting the bulk of the carries.

2) Solomon graduated, Armando stuck around in the backfield, Kinley was given the reigns on offense as a run 1st QB, and Mitchell came into his own as a solid backup for Armando who can take it the distance everytime.

3) In the Topper backfield of 3 separate backs, 1 graduated, while 2 more were added.

4) 3-1= 2. 2+2= 4.

5) Moses= I love the kid to death, but he is simply the odd man out with Kinley and Mitchell stepping in and Armando already in possession of the starting job. There just aren't enough carries to get everyone active.

Why isn't he playing defense? IDK, but there is probably something there that we don't know. Not saying he got in trouble or anything, but maybe somebody just stepped in and did a better job IDK. I'd play him on defense atleast 15-20 plays a night if it were up to me but it's not so IDK.

Thanks for coming on and making a pick with a good description and argument behind it instead of just coming on and bashing a person's pick. That is the difference between having a mature conversation and pre game analysis and just hatin on somebodie's pick like some MW ppl have. I think that MW will come in and play well, but in the end, it will be the play of Isaac that bails the Toppers out. I'm not saying he is unstoppable, but he consistently puts up good numbers at any position he plays and he plays to win. This being his senior year, and playing a position that he is unfamiliar with, that says alot. The Trojans will play well and 28-14 will be closer than the score indicates. I've been wrong before, but that's my pick and I'm sticking with it. People can make as much out of it as they want, but its my pick. People pick the games for fun and root for their team. There are only 3 teams that i would sincerely pick to beat SH: Tennessee High, Knox Bearden, and Dobyns-Bennett. Trojans think that they will come in and beat SH at home while Toppers think that they will give MW a tough game and win. These opinions are biased on both sides and mean nothing until kickoff.

I do not agree with personal attacks and hope that the MW ppl you are speaking about are just confident of our team and not meaning it personally. I hope West does enough to win this game. I do not doubt our ability to do so, but I do know if we play defense like last week, we will not win. We will have to have an almost perfect game and play defense like we did against Jeff. If that defense shows up West will win this game. If the Cherokee defense shows up West will lose this game. I guess the thing that holds me back from predicting a win no matter is the fact that we do have alot of new faces -- from the head coach on down. I am not saying they are not capable, but I do not know if they are experienced enough to guarantee a win.

I do not agree with personal attacks and hope that the MW ppl you are speaking about are just confident of our team and not meaning it personally. I hope West does enough to win this game. I do not doubt our ability to do so, but I do know if we play defense like last week, we will not win. We will have to have an almost perfect game and play defense like we did against Jeff. If that defense shows up West will win this game. If the Cherokee defense shows up West will lose this game. I guess the thing that holds me back from predicting a win no matter is the fact that we do have alot of new faces -- from the head coach on down. I am not saying they are not capable, but I do not know if they are experienced enough to guarantee a win.

I was surprised that the Chiefs were able to put up 33 points last week. Was the game always in contention or did they score a large part of those points against Mo'West's 2nd string?

I was surprised that the Chiefs were able to put up 33 points last week. Was the game always in contention or did they score a large part of those points against Mo'West's 2nd string?

Cherokee had 21 points at halftime, thanks largely to a 52-yard touchdown run and a 95-yard kickoff return for a score. Cherokee hit three or four big plays to inflate their numbers, with one coming in the fourth quarter and West up 52-27. The Chiefs only had one really long, grind it out style drive. The others came from a big play in the passing game after the Chiefs lined up in the spread offense after falling behind big early. The game was close until West scored two quick TDs in the third quarter to build up a 45-21 lead. Minus the big plays, the score could have been 52-14.

West didnt play that good of def against Jeff. We made stupid mistakes offensively(stupid penalties, fumbling the ball, not making good reads). Jefferson Co. beat Jefferson Co. that game.

I can tell you why he's not playing offense, but I played defense with him before I graduated, and he has the ability to atleast spell some of the starting guys maybe during the 2nd and 3rd qtrs.

1) Moses shared carries with Solomon and Armando last season, with Solomon, of course, getting the bulk of the carries.

2) Solomon graduated, Armando stuck around in the backfield, Kinley was given the reigns on offense as a run 1st QB, and Mitchell came into his own as a solid backup for Armando who can take it the distance everytime.

3) In the Topper backfield of 3 separate backs, 1 graduated, while 2 more were added.

4) 3-1= 2. 2+2= 4.

5) Moses= I love the kid to death, but he is simply the odd man out with Kinley and Mitchell stepping in and Armando already in possession of the starting job. There just aren't enough carries to get everyone active.

Why isn't he playing defense? IDK, but there is probably something there that we don't know. Not saying he got in trouble or anything, but maybe somebody just stepped in and did a better job IDK. I'd play him on defense atleast 15-20 plays a night if it were up to me but it's not so IDK.

Thanks for the info!! I just know he has worked hard and appears to be a great athlete. Hopefully we can see him more on defense! Good Luck this week Toppers!!

As a West fan I am feeling better about this game as the week progresses (and feeling much better about this year's game compared to last years). However, after speaking with some of West's players and learning of the size of the SH squad, there may be more mismatches than we can handle. I have looked at some of the information available for both teams (unfortunately no hard statistical data, but the following):

West points for 86 or 28.7/game points against 82 or 27/game opponents record 6 wins 3 losses

SH points for 47 or 23.5/game points against 49 or 24.5/game opponents record 4 wins 1 loss

This looks like a very even game. I feel (unfortunately for West) that the game will come down to special teams. If we allow points off kicks offs or punts, we will not win this game. I feel we will be able to play with SH up and down the field, but we need to make sure we are able to stop them on the special teams and get the defense on the field. In any event, I pick West for the win, but believe it will be close to the final buzzer. Go Trojans!