It's not just about scoring

Canesoverhere

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

(I'm just impressed you spelled "dissertation right!") /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Hey, I think I read about you in the paper last week (correct me if I am wrong). Looks like you have things going pretty well so far! Good luck with the rest of your season. You just doing the girls teams again, or are you going to get back into the guys?

I googled it, the girls are coming around, we are just very injured right now, the younger players are stepping up which is always good to see. I would like it better if we were healthy, I still feel like I do not know to much about this group just yet, but they seem to enjoy to prove me wrong with challenge. My schedule will not allow me to do the boys, having a 21month old at home changes everything. I sorta enjoy being married.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a newbie here I have resisted jumping on the bandwagon, getting on my soapbox, etc... but I do have a strong opinion on these double digit winning score margins.

IMHO there is no way a coach should allow the game to be decided by double digits. I do not put the blame on the players, but squarely on the coaches. It reflects poorly on the coaches and the school. The players will do the best to do as they are instructed. I don't mean that they should just play keep-away. Most of us have seen that tactic and it does look like you are trying to embarrass the other team. There are other ways the girls can still play hard and not get a score every time the go down the field.

The coaches bear the responsibility to keep playing in the spirit of the game.

Per Canes

???For your information, what I think bad sportsmanship is? If you are winning games by double digits.???

Thanks to Canes, we can now add a new rule to the game of soccer.

XII Fouls and Misconduct

Poor Sportsmanship

Any team that knowingly scores more than 10 goals more than their opponent in the course of a regulation game shall be deemed to show bad sportsmanship. Any team that scores 9 more is to be given a verbal warning. Forget any rules about serious foul play, violent conduct, spitting, tackles from behind, taunting, etc. It??™s all about the score differential. At the very least, such teams shall be ???called out??? on an approved public venue or online board. Repeated violations of this new rule shall be given a ???Time Out???. Henceforth, this rule shall be known as the Canes-I-Know-Better-Than-You rule.

As such, the following 11 teams have already violated the new rule (being retroactive applied) so far in the 2008 season and shall be known as bad sports:

Brentwood

Briarcrest

CAK

Dobyns-Bennett

Fayette Academy

Jackson Christian

Lenoir City

Notre Dame

Page

Riverdale

Seymour

Additionally, the following 6 teams are being given an official verbal warning:

Antioch

FRA

Halls

Knox. Central

Livingston Academy

Station Camp

For 2007, the following 29 teams also violated the rule and are now termed bad sports:

Arlington

Bearden

BGA

Brentwood

Briarcrest

CAK

Cleveland

Columbia Academy

Dobyns-Bennett

Dyersburg

East Robertson

Franklin

Germantown Houston

Grace Baptist Academy

Henry County

Independence

McMinn County

Notre Dame

Oak Ridge

Oneida

Powell

Ravenwood

Sequoyah

Seymour

Shelbyville Central

St. Agnes

St. George??™s

University School Johnson City

USJ

These 11 would get the verbal warning:

Bradley Central

Goodpasture Christian

Greeneville

Jackson Christian

John Overton

Lenoir City

McMinn Central

Morristown West

Ooltewah

Page

Riverdale

My point? Besides too much time on my hand this morning, it's that this happens. Teams will sometimes score 10+ goals more than their opponent. With all of these teams and the games that had such lopsided scores, has there been some bad sportsmanship? Probably, in some of them. In others, perhaps even most of them, it's teams that have to play each other (assigned in a tournament, within your district, during the post season, etc.). There is no taunting or similar going on.

I believe you only get better by playing good or better teams, so schools that choose to play teams that they know they will kill doesn't help their program any.

There are so many factors than can influence a team's decision to keep scoring, that I believe it unfair to draw an magic line and say over this threshhold is poor sportsmanship. I've seen plenty of poor sportsmanship in 2-6 games, and nothing but good sportsmanship in 10-0 games

Of course, running the score up on a weaker team is not the only way a team can display bad sportsmanship. But this is something that a coach can control. While your list of teams who have posted some high scores is long, there are many traditionally strong soccer schools missing from your list (Baylor, Collierville, Siegel, Father Ryan, GPS, Germantown Houston, Brentwood Academy just to name a few) Great job to all the coaches who choose to take the high road.

I think it was BigG who hit on something I'd agree with. Most of the time in a game, when the score gets to 3-0 or 4-0 (the Emsworth / ND game notwithstanding) you know it's going to be a blowout. A good sport would make adjustments at that point, probably while the game is still in the first half of the first half, and not wait until the game is 8-0 and the weaker team is completely demoralized.

Of course, running the score up on a weaker team is not the only way a team can display bad sportsmanship. But this is something that a coach can control. While your list of teams who have posted some high scores is long, there are many traditionally strong soccer schools missing from your list (Baylor, Collierville, Siegel, Father Ryan, GPS, Germantown Houston, Brentwood Academy just to name a few) Great job to all the coaches who choose to take the high road.

My list only went back to 2007, but looking at the 7 specific teams you listed:

Baylor ??“ most lopsided win I could find was 8-0 in 2007; on the edge of a verbal warning

Collierville ??“ 2 9-0 games in 2006 (verbal warnings), and a 10-0 game in 2005 (Bad Sports)

Siegel ??“ a 10-0 game in 2006 (another Bad Sport)

Father Ryan ??“ 3 8-0 games, on the edge of 3 verbal warnings

GPS ??“ a 9-1 game in 2005; allowing that one goal avoided the verbal

Germantown Houston ??“ sorry, you should have been on my original list with a 10-0 game in 2007 (Bad Sports)

Brentwood Academy ??“ 10-0 game in 2006 (yet another Bad Sport)

Again with my point, it happens??¦. It happens to almost everybody. Your point that coaches can/should control more may be true, but I take exception that the magic double digit lead means poor sportsmanship.

Please add Soddy Daisy to your list of teams that DO NOT run up the score on weaker opponents, nor do we pad our stats on weaker teams.

Well my U12 girls team playing in their first tournament at the Bash got whipped 21-0 (we laugh today and even that day about it) we used it as a learning experience I pulled players off talked to them showed them what the other team was doing etc-Now as 8th graders they have beaten CCS,Tullahoma,Harris,Central etc and at U14 are a competitive team in select. The loss didn't bother me and the subs were just as good as their starters-but on the High School level I may react differently because even on deep teams there is a drop off after maybe 13-14-The thing that gets me is not when ND scores 11 when they have subbed all and placed restrictions It is when a team leaves their stud in 8 min left in the game leading 11-0 and she already has 5 goals (that is a little much) anyway done

ok so after reading all of this i think this is a no win situation. from what some of you are saying the scores should be run up, others disagree and think it should be kept below double digits. Isin't a 9-0 loss just about as embarassing as a 10-0 loss? so whats the difference?

You also don't want the teams to play keep away? so what do you plan for the players to do? some varsity teams players that come of the bench are just as talented as their starters. so putting in subs can continue to raise the score. so if you do not want them to run up the score, and also don't want them to play keep away, what should the coaches and players do. kick it to the other team? no.. thats not the game of soccer. now i agree some new players should be put in the score column, including defenders, keepers, etc. but in some reguards, certain games, such as district rely on scoring, so how can you apply a new "sportsmanship rule" if it hurts your chance at advancing or winning a higher seed in your district.

and your whole "sportsmanship rule" if you fail to follow it, what happens, a solid slap on the wrist?

My list only went back to 2007, but looking at the 7 specific teams you listed:

Baylor ??“ most lopsided win I could find was 8-0 in 2007; on the edge of a verbal warning

Collierville ??“ 2 9-0 games in 2006 (verbal warnings), and a 10-0 game in 2005 (Bad Sports)

Siegel ??“ a 10-0 game in 2006 (another Bad Sport)

Father Ryan ??“ 3 8-0 games, on the edge of 3 verbal warnings

GPS ??“ a 9-1 game in 2005; allowing that one goal avoided the verbal

Germantown Houston ??“ sorry, you should have been on my original list with a 10-0 game in 2007 (Bad Sports)

Brentwood Academy ??“ 10-0 game in 2006 (yet another Bad Sport)

Again with my point, it happens??¦. It happens to almost everybody. Your point that coaches can/should control more may be true, but I take exception that the magic double digit lead means poor sportsmanship.

Don I will agree it happens, but I should not have to tell you that certain schools are known for running up the scores. And to be the bearer of bad news ND has that reputation.

Maybe you are now reformed, but you had a 10-1 win in 2004 that would warrant a VERBAL WARNING

WOW ...You are bored today /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />