Knox Halls @ West

Pirateman894

What are your thoughts for this year's Halls/West game? As most of you know, last year's game was won by the devils 52-49 in double overtime. However, 3 of the biggest playmakers from last year's Halls team and 5 of the biggest playmakers from last year's West team are graduated. Therefore, eyes are on:

Halls

QB Tyler Turner

WB Kevin Waggoner

WB James O'Laughlin

DL Caleb Leonard

West

QB Christian Francis

LB Dylan Baylosis

LB Sam Purkey

Also, I believe that this is Halls' WR/DB Garrett Gresham's first game of his return (broken thumb)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if West can shut down Waggoner or O'Laughlin and if there O shows up like it did in the beginning against SC then they can win. Either way I think it will be a good game.

With the emergence of #46(don't want to butcher his name), the Halls Staff might have found the third back needed to make their O click on many cylinders. Albeit Gibbs, it was nice Friday night to see a little bit of a passing game come together. Yeah, 3/4 isn't a passing game to most teams, but that's opening up the O for Halls. I also was impressed by #46's ability to turn a short route into a TD, even breaking a tackle and having the speed from the FB position to outrun the defense. From what I've read in the paper, West's strength on O is running the ball just like Halls. I don't know what West's strength is on D, but I do know that Halls' strength is against the run (-1 yard total vs. SC). It should make for an interesting game to see if Halls can stop West's rushing attack. So, IMO, this game more so than some others will be won in the trenches.

Also, look for Halls Secondary to get improved quite a bit if Gresham and/or Turner get back in the secondary. With Gresham's return I'd look for Gibson to get more touches on O since he could be kept fresh both on defense and offense (possibly---I'm sure the coaches know best and we'll have to wait to see what that means as far as shuffling players into the right positions).

Is there any update on #8? I noticed he wasn't on crutches Friday night!

The last time Halls came to West everyone was talking the same as this year - i.e. it should be a close game.

- REALITY HIT, and West was ahead 45-0 by the half. Halls didn't know what hit them. I hope Halls remembers that!!

- I also liked the improved passing game. Fewer attempts, more production. Turner looked sharp. Getting him healthy will be an important part to this teams success.

- Gresham (#10) gives us the treat of a deep ball, even with a cast on. Most observers felt he was our best chance for a big play after Dayton left. Two TD's in first two scrimmages (while playing with a broken thumb) showed what he brings to this team.

- I like seeing many RB's getting the ball. I think each one brings something to the table. All RB"s looked good.

- O'line had what I thought was their worst outing. Big Ben being out hurt. Let's hope he can play on Friday.

- This game is huge !! Expect a dogfight from both sides. Last years game was the most exciting high school game I have ever watched.

This will be the game to seperate the wheat from the chaff. I thought Halls have played well against the better teams and took care of business early against the weaker teams. With the injury situation brightening and more players being able to be rotated this is going to be the big one for us. I feel we should win by two touchdowns as we are hitting our stride and West seems to be very young this year. Checking back on their offense they like to run the ball and thats what we like it should hit our strength. I don't think this game will be easy but Halls has made a statement the past two weeks and the key for me is Waggoner and his leadership. Francis looks to be a year away from being ready in his passing game we will see Friday night. Could be a chess match at first but I think Halls will be to much for the Rebs this year.

Halls 24 West 7

This is a BIG one!!!! Halls knows it, West knows it. Now, who can handle it? From what I've seen and heard both teams appear to be making improvements each week. Who will improve the most is the question.

SC had the better score last week vs West but watching the game I would say that West beat themselves much more than SC beat them. The West D pretty much shut down the run but there were way too many "ooops" in the receiving corp and defensive backs. Those mistakes have to be gone to beat a hardnosed, talented Halls team.

I'm picking West in this one only because Halls had a creampuff last Friday or maybe that should give Halls the advantage since they had more rest. Either way this one will be good and everyone knows the winner is for sure headed to the playoffs if history holds true.

This is a BIG one!!!! Halls knows it, West knows it. Now, who can handle it? From what I've seen and heard both teams appear to be making improvements each week. Who will improve the most is the question.

SC had the better score last week vs West but watching the game I would say that West beat themselves much more than SC beat them. The West D pretty much shut down the run but there were way too many "ooops" in the receiving corp and defensive backs. Those mistakes have to be gone to beat a hardnosed, talented Halls team.

I'm picking West in this one only because Halls had a creampuff last Friday or maybe that should give Halls the advantage since they had more rest. Either way this one will be good and everyone knows the winner is for sure headed to the playoffs if history holds true.

I agree that this one is just about too close to call. Both teams shut down SCs running game but got beat on big pass plays. Both teams are using a Soph RB alot. Both teams have struggled some with the pass. I like to think that Halls is stronger on the line but I am not sure.

I will pick Halls to win a close one. 24 - 20

I got to see the end of practice tonight. My two cents:

Good News:

- Gresham (#10) was practicing. He looks better with a cast on than most of our WR's do without one. He is a special talent, maybe the best athelete on the team(his speed doesn't hurt either). I hate to think about what kind of season this would have been like had he been healthy all year.

- Turner (#4) continues to look better (healthier). Make no mistake, as he goes this team goes. He is the leader. He made some nice throws tonight (some were dropped). Hopefully as #10 plays more, we will see the return of some big plays.

Bad news:

- #79 (McFalls) is still out. This is having a huge impact on the OL. (Defense has several lineman to step up, but OL is thin). If I counted right, three new "positions" are involved with his injury (players are needed to move around). Don't expect to see the domination upfront that we have seen in the previous games. (my hear is that he is out for Friday)

- #75 (Big Stevo) appears to have an ankle problem. He is one of the few "can't do without" players. Watching him try to run sprints at the end of practice made ME hurt (couldn't figure out why he didn't just sit them out and try to get it well, it was obvious he was in A LOT of pain)

Overall, I can't get a feel for this game. Even with all the injuries at WR and DB, I felt pretty good about our chances in a close one. Now with Big Ben out and Stevo injured, I worry about our ability to come out and run the ball consistently. Thus, I will wait until later in the week to make a prediction. Not sure how much the coaches can get Gresham involved in the game plan with only one week of practice - I believe he could be the deciding factor. (Two TD's in two scrimmages, 60 yard TD reception last year, 3 INT's with one returned for a TD, and one kickoff return for 70 yards)

- I will step out on a limb (again) and predict that it won't be 45-0 at half like last time. (I did pick Halls to win last week)

- #75 (Big Stevo) appears to have an ankle problem. He is one of the few "can't do without" players. Watching him try to run sprints at the end of practice made ME hurt (couldn't figure out why he didn't just sit them out and try to get it well, it was obvious he was in A LOT of pain)

I think #75 has chronic feet issues. He looks rough running sprints all the time. Inside of a 5 foot area is where he is beneficial to the team. My guess is that he will be there Friday night.

Most can't imagine what it means to this team to get #10 back in the secondary.

Not much talk about this game here on CoachT. I think both team's fans are a little concerned about this season. This is a big game. One team has two wins in the Region and is looking good for a playoff spot. The loser is facing an uphill battle. Should be a good game.