Knox Halls @ West

Pirateman894

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

West wins another tough game with Halls. Cong. to West!!

My two cents -

- Tone was set on Halls first possesion. Three and out came back tp bite us. Someone told me we didn't have Big Ben in on that series. If so, that is sad.

- Did anyone else see this game was similar to Seveir Co?? #23 carries his team, looks like he has the heart of a lion, gaining 5, 6 yards every play. THEN once he carries his team to a hope of victory, here comes the"magic" play to save the day. Same script, same results.

- Does anyone else think it would have been nice to see him (#23) touch the ball (either game) on our last series?? Just for fun, I wonder what would have happened in either game if we would have given him a try on first down, second down, or third down??

- I thought West coaches did an excellent job of staying with what works. Simple, wide split dives, until it is stopped. Their coaches showed a lot of maturity by keeping it simple (we never did stop the dive all night). West showed tonight that6 it is a simple game.

- O'Laughlin had a great game. Without his KO return, this game isn't close.

- Again, this game was won early. West had the ball for about 15 of the first 16 minutes. Our offense needed a drive to start with, and came up with a three and out. Interesting play on first down(-7), hadn't seen that one before.

West wins another tough game with Halls. Cong. to West!!

My two cents -

- Tone was set on Halls first possesion. Three and out came back tp bite us. Someone told me we didn't have Big Ben in on that series. If so, that is sad.

- Did anyone else see this game was similar to Seveir Co?? #23 carries his team, looks like he has the heart of a lion, gaining 5, 6 yards every play. THEN once he carries his team to a hope of victory, here comes the"magic" play to save the day. Same script, same results.

- Does anyone else think it would have been nice to see him (#23) touch the ball (either game) on our last series?? Just for fun, I wonder what would have happened in either game if we would have given him a try on first down, second down, or third down??

- I thought West coaches did an excellent job of staying with what works. Simple, wide split dives, until it is stopped. Their coaches showed a lot of maturity by keeping it simple (we never did stop the dive all night). West showed tonight that6 it is a simple game.

- O'Laughlin had a great game. Without his KO return, this game isn't close.

- Again, this game was won early. West had the ball for about 15 of the first 16 minutes. Our offense needed a drive to start with, and came up with a three and out. Interesting play on first down(-7), hadn't seen that one before.

What was the final score?

Final score West 22, Halls 19.

- Halls had the ball first down on West's 30, after a 50 yard drive and came up with a "magic" boot leg on first down, incomplete pass on second down, and a pass interception on third down. West runs the clock down, takes a saftey. Halls misses a LONG field goal as time expires.

- West scores the go ahead TD after Halls elects to punt on fourth and less than a yard. A few plays later, West goes ahead with about seven minutes to play. Halls drives from its twenty to Wests 30 with about three minutes to play (very much like the Seveir County game). At crunch time Halls abandons it's strength - same result.

- A sound frustrated because I am, maybe #23 was hurt at the end of both games. Obviously the coaches know more than I do, and I'm sure they felt we couldn't have just pounded it in on both games. I trust that at crunch time, our best bet to win this year is to air it out. Two games, two exact same situations, two exact sane outcomes.

- Halls had the ball first down on West's 30, after a 50 yard drive and came up with a "magic" boot leg on first down, incomplete pass on second down, and a pass interception on third down. West runs the clock down, takes a saftey. Halls misses a LONG field goal as time expires.

That bootleg is the triple dreaded "gobble wobble." You know, the one where the QB goes to the short side and has no option as no receiver has released and the DB can just commit immediately.

Diver - I'm sure our coaches noticed the wide split runs, tight split passes and made adjustments accordingly. Consider this:

- In the last two years West has averaged 51 points a game against us. Tonight we held them to 22, which drops that three year average to 42 points a game. It looks as if our personel just doesn't matchup well with West on defense. The dive they ran was open all night, and I'm sure we tried everything we could to stop it.

- Also, did anyone notice that two of their three TD's came on fourth down?? First Td was a heck of a run!! I know I'm old school, but that's why I don't like my DE's running behind the LB"s downfield to pursue to the ball. In the old days we stayed at home, but I realize that went away along time ago(DE staying at home).

- I still think our first quarter set the tone. When West got the first down on a three yard fumble out of bounds, connected on several third down concersion, ate up 8 minutes of offense, then missed a field goal I knew it was important for our Offense to get rolling. Instread we had a three and out, and gave them the ball right back. That's why I can't believe we would start this big of a game, especially after that drive od West's, with a huge contributer like Mcfalls on the sideline. I wonder if he would have helped on that first three and out (next series he came in and we went 80 yards for a TD).

- I know, still coulda, shoulda, woulda. Will this team give up on the rest of the year or work to get better. With a little luck this team (Halls) might still make the playoffs. Funnier things have happened.

- Since no one seems to voice opinions, I'll ask another question. How many people think this Halls team has gotten better since the Maryville game (first game until now)?

Thanks 4mer.. - so it is true he (Mcfalls) was out on the critical first series.

- That explains why we got off to such a bad start. Did he skip practices, lay out, what was the deal? Seems harsh to punish the team if he was sick thru no fault of his own.

- That probably cost us the game - 3 and out took the wind out of our defense. All things considered, that means we would have driven the ball that first series like we did the second (80 yard TD drive). What a huge punishment to the team. (If he was skipping practice, I certainly understand. If he was out because of Doctor orders, wow, what a decision to make).

That is Nic Williams that has been coming on at running back for West in the last two games. Only a Junior, but has looked good on a couple of long breakaway touchdowns over the past couple of weeks. He looks like he could be really good, but just needs to block better and stay engaged when he is not carrying the ball.

Ole Dad

I liked that 3 man backfield of #18,20,& 26 for West. That first TD was incredible. Also #20 had a great TD run. This team really seems to be maturing and getting on a roll.