Henry Clay

Pool B

East Ridge

Seymour

Greenbrier

Morristown West

@ ACH

Time Court 1............................... Court 2

8:00am AC vs Henry Clay.................................. Morristown West vs Seymour

9:00 am Jefferson County vs Alcoa...................... Greenbrier vs East Ridge

10:00am AC vs Jefferson County......................... East Ridge vs Seymour

11:00am Alcoa vs Henry Clay.............................. Morristown West vs Greenbrier

12:00 AC vs Alcoa.................................. East Ridge vs Morristown West

1:00 Henry Clay vs Jefferson County...................... Greenbrier vs Seymour

At OAK RIDGE HIGH

Pool C

Oak Ridge

Grace

Portland

Pool D

CAK

GPS

Webb

@ORH

Time Court 1.............................. Court 2

8:00am OR vs CAK......................... GPS vs Portland

9:00 am OR vs Portland.................... Grace vs Webb

10:00am ........................................ CAK vs GPS

11:00am OR vs Grace ................... Webb vs GPS

12:00 CAK vs Webb................... Grace vs Portland

At 2:30pm the Gold Bracket will play at Anderson Co. High with the top two seeds form each pool playing here.

The Silver bracket played at Oak Ridge High will have another round of Pool play before the bracket and the pool play will start at 3:00

Should be alot of fun!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the record, we made it to the Gold, going 3-0 in pool play (East Ridge, Morristown-West & Seymour) and defeating Grace Baptist in bracket play before losing to a great GPS team (after our first game went into the 30's, I heard one of the GPS girls say, "now that was a battle!").

Since they probably won't report it, AC got put out by GPS, too, in the first round.

The season is fixin' to get real serious and we're lookin' forward to it! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

For the record, we made it to the Gold, going 3-0 in pool play (East Ridge, Morristown-West & Seymour) and defeating Grace Baptist in bracket play before losing to a great GPS team (after our first game went into the 30's, I heard one of the GPS girls say, "now that was a battle!").

Since they probably won't report it, AC got put out by GPS, too, in the first round.

The season is fixin' to get real serious and we're lookin' forward to it! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

5, we should have covered this closer and updated it and we are sorry. We'll try to see if we can do better. Sometimes the tourneys come very fast, too fast.

I found it. Info on www.chattanoogan.com. GPS won agaist Henry Clay.. That is big. A win from a nationally ranked team, The article says they are ranked 37th in the country. Paul Brock knows how to coach volleyball, no doubt about it. He is also a class act and super individual. Nice win also againt the reigning A/AA State Champion Greenbrier. Those girls on the GPS team are tough as nails.

GPS Wins Anderson County Tournament

posted September 28, 2008

The third time was a charm for the GPS volleyball team this weekend. Finishing 2nd in their first 2 tournaments of the year, didn??™t set well with the Bruisers.

Saturday at Anderson County in Knoxville, the GPS Bruisers beat up some good teams in winning the Tennessee Round-up.

GPS avenged an earlier lost last weekend in the championship game of the Tennessee Tandem by beating Green Brier 31-29, 25-18. GPS didn??™t lose a match all day. It wasn??™t until the championship game against an National Ranked Team (37th) Henry Clay (Lexington Ky) before they would give up their first game of the day.

GPS beat Henry Clay 25-19, 31-29, 16-14. Henry Clay is now 26-1. Heather Parman had another big match 21 kills, 12 assist, 20 digs, 2 aces, 2 blocks. Megan Givens had 32 digs, 3 aces, Whitney Hammond had 14 kills, 18 digs, 3 blocks.

"This was a huge win for GPS," GPS head coach Paul Brock said. "Beat a National Ranked team and The AA state champs from last year. Some of the girls get more kills, digs, and blocks than others, but the touches and spot serves that others do make this a total team effort. Semi??™s and Finals were very intense matches with some big time plays made by all teams involved."

GPS is 31-4.

Scores:

GPS vs Portland 25-7, 25-14

GPS vs CAK 25-9, 26-11

GPS vs Webb 25-19, 25-17

GPS vs Anderson County 25-17, 25-21

Individual Stats:

Jasmine Brown 29 assist, 7 kills, 18 digs, 2 aces, 2 blocks

Danna Myatt 4 kills, 5 blocks,

Katie Dorris 2 kills, 1 block, 14 digs

Tory Lewis 1 kill, 2 blocks, 7 digs

Mckenzie Stokes 3 digs, 1 ace

Congrats, GPS! Way to go.

In my humble opinion, Henry Clay was smooth, but not very 'explosive.' They beat teams by being solid. We wanted a shot at them, however, GPS made sure that didn't happen. The DII team from Chattanooga is the real deal...and knows how to win with class, which says a lot about their coach.

We are proud of our girls, too. Operating on only about 5 hours of sleep (we left Greenbrier after Homecoming Friday night)...and after enduring a pretty grueling schedule this past week, they played fairly well. As a A/AA school, we know playing tough competition pays big dividends when it really counts. We'll start getting ready to make that 'stretch run' in the next couple of weeks.

Congrats, GPS! Way to go.

In my humble opinion, Henry Clay was smooth, but not very 'explosive.' They beat teams by being solid. We wanted a shot at them, however, GPS made sure that didn't happen. The DII team from Chattanooga is the real deal...and knows how to win with class, which says a lot about their coach.

We are proud of our girls, too. Operating on only about 5 hours of sleep (we left Greenbrier after Homecoming Friday night)...and after enduring a pretty grueling schedule this past week, they played fairly well. As a A/AA school, we know playing tough competition pays big dividends when it really counts. We'll start getting ready to make that 'stretch run' in the next couple of weeks.

I just heard about Coach T this weekend from our host teams at AC. Everyone at AC really did a super job and rolled out the red carpet for us. In Kentucky, our level of play seems to be a lot higher. I was disappointed during pool play. Maybe because we have a really good team this year. Hearing about how good some of the teams were and knowing that we had the team to bring back some Tennessee hardware we wanted to come down and play this year. During the day, I was looking forward to playing a nice team Green Brier. Seemed like a real solid team and we watched them most of the day looking for matchups. I looked over once during our match and GB was beating GPS pretty bad the twins were owning the net. Watching GPS's coach he called a timeout and changed his offense in the middle of the game. I know that is what coaches are suppose to do (call timeouts), but in the middle of his game in 60 seconds. He changed a 7 point lead by moving his hitters and blockers. I'm really impressed, and then in the championship game after losing the first game to us he changed his blockers and his defense. I have coached in college and club, but never seen a coach really out work the other team like this. I know that you have to have the players that will do what you tell them as well. I talked to this Coach Paul Brock after words and first thing he asked was what college is your daughter going to and what a great of player she was. He also told me that his players were the key he just filled out the line sheet. We have 5 girls going to play college VB 3 D-1 girls and this little private school just kept taking everything we had and dishing it right back at us. The game ended on a close call on the end line from 2 very nice teams that did great battle. Kudos??™s from one eater of Humble pie to AC for a great tournament and GPS Bruisers for giving us our first loss of this year.

By my count on the KHSAA web page the Henry Clay Blue Devils are 24-11.

They are the best team in Lexington right now and have a D-1 signee in Abell,

but there is no way they are 37th. in the country. At best they are 6th or 7th in

KY behind the Louisville and NKY privates and Louisville Manual who beat them

in a Huntsville, AL tourney. All credit to them though for playing a very tough

schedule that has taken them to 3 big out-of-state tournaments in TN, AL, and OH.

Guest TheChosenOne

By my count on the KHSAA web page the Henry Clay Blue Devils are 24-11.

They are the best team in Lexington right now and have a D-1 signee in Abell,

but there is no way they are 37th. in the country. At best they are 6th or 7th in

KY behind the Louisville and NKY privates and Louisville Manual who beat them

in a Huntsville, AL tourney. All credit to them though for playing a very tough

schedule that has taken them to 3 big out-of-state tournaments in TN, AL, and OH.

I think they are referring to their first loss of the tournament. If they are not, then I don't know what they are talking about because I remember the team dropping at least 3 games at the Sherry Ammon IronMan Tournament.

... Kudos??™s from one eater of Humble pie to AC for a great tournament and GPS Bruisers for giving us our first loss of this year.

I think they are referring to their first loss of the tournament. If they are not, then I don't know what they are talking about because I remember the team dropping at least 3 games at the Sherry Ammon IronMan Tournament.

It says 'first loss of this year.' Maybe he/she thought our TN computers couldn't go across the state line for research. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Guest TheChosenOne

It says 'first loss of this year.' Maybe he/she thought our TN computers couldn't go across the state line for research. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Good Point. I guess I read over that too quickly. Definitely not their first loss of the year.

At the Huntsville tournament - I found my records....

Pool C -

L to Pelham 0-2

L to Brentwood 0-2

L to Hazel Green 0-2

Pool DD

W Centennial 2-1

W Oak Mountain 2-1

W Vestavia Hills 2-0

Bracket

W McGill-Toolen 2-1

L to duPont Manual (KY) 2-0

That would have left them at 4-4 for that tournament alone so I am sure its safe to say that they were not undefeated! Regardless, they were a god team and a worthy opponent for GPS.

Announcements