CCS beats GPS question

CHAMPDDS

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a little confused by the write up in the Times Free Press regarding the hand ball, and no red card ? Was anyone at the game to elaborate ?

Thanks

The handball was flagged by the linesman. Somehow the center official didn't see it. Since play was allowed to continue for a few seconds before the play was blown dead, the linesman lost the player in the crowd as play continued. He could not positively ID the player's number, so the pk was awarded (correct call) but no red card was given (incorrect call).

The handball was flagged by the linesman. Somehow the center official didn't see it. Since play was allowed to continue for a few seconds before the play was blown dead, the linesman lost the player in the crowd as play continued. He could not positively ID the player's number, so the pk was awarded (correct call) but no red card was given (incorrect call).

Was this a deliberate hand ball that stopped an obvious goal?

Was this a deliberate hand ball that stopped an obvious goal?

You are correct in asking this question. A red card should not be given unless it was a deliberate attempt to stop a goal with your hand.. a blatant handball in the box could be a yellow, but unless you were there, hard to call.

You are correct in asking this question. A red card should not be given unless it was a deliberate attempt to stop a goal with your hand.. a blatant handball in the box could be a yellow, but unless you were there, hard to call.

I was under the impression a deliberate hand ball that interfered with an actual goal scoring was awarded a goal as well....Am I wrong ?

I was under the impression a deliberate hand ball that interfered with an actual goal scoring was awarded a goal as well....Am I wrong ?

Lets assume (and we all know what that stands for, LOL) that it was a deliberate hand ball taking away an obvious goal.

I would think that the center ref went over in his pregame on how he would like for the AR's to handle that situation. The situation that is for calling fouls in the box. But I would like to add that sometimes when you have a "scrum" in the box it would be hard for the AR to see exactly which player that might have had the foul. And if the AR saw the foul but did not catch "exactly" who it was, then well.......that's life.

I WAS NOT THERE. But it sounds like the refs did all they could do under the circumstances.

Ps...I bet the crowd new who had the handball /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Lets assume (and we all know what that stands for, LOL) that it was a deliberate hand ball taking away an obvious goal.

I would think that the center ref went over in his pregame on how he would like for the AR's to handle that situation. The situation that is for calling fouls in the box. But I would like to add that sometimes when you have a "scrum" in the box it would be hard for the AR to see exactly which player that might have had the foul. And if the AR saw the foul but did not catch "exactly" who it was, then well.......that's life.

I WAS NOT THERE. But it sounds like the refs did all they could do under the circumstances.

Ps...I bet the crowd new who had the handball /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

It was a deliberate handball taking away an obvious goal. The girl had recovered behind the keeper and was standing on the goal line. The keeper was out of position after the initial play on the ball. The shot was taken on more or less a rebound, and was going in. From my perspective it looked like it may have even crossed the goalline at the point the handball took place.

A red card should have been given. By issuing a red card to the player they could best determine was at fault, the refs would have run the risk of being incorrect. By not issuing a card, they insured that they were incorrect.

even if it was deliberate, they did not know who to give the red card to. At that point they really messed up but I don't think you just pick someone randomly. They met with both coaches, explained the situation. They probably said- we messed up, don't know who the person was who had the hand ball so we give the pk and no one gets a red card.

There were a few scrums but not many.

even if it was deliberate, they did not know who to give the red card to. At that point they really messed up but I don't think you just pick someone randomly. They met with both coaches, explained the situation. They probably said- we messed up, don't know who the person was who had the hand ball so we give the pk and no one gets a red card.

There were a few scrums but not many.

Again, I ask...is a goal not awarded ? Not that this was the situation yesterday since I was not there, but as a general referee question, if an almost certain goal is blocked (keeper out of position, defender blocks the shot on goal with her hand)...it seems like a defensive advantage to have done this, if a PK is awarded as 'compensation' , and the PK has the potential of being missed... versus the guaranteed shot that was blocked by a hand ball ?

Again, I ask...is a goal not awarded ? Not that this was the situation yesterday since I was not there, but as a general referee question, if an almost certain goal is blocked (keeper out of position, defender blocks the shot on goal with her hand)...it seems like a defensive advantage to have done this, if a PK is awarded as 'compensation' , and the PK has the potential of being missed... versus the guaranteed shot that was blocked by a hand ball ?

Nope, not a goal. A PK is always awarded in that case, but the goal isn't a given. I guess they figure the disadvantage of playing a man short outweighs the automatic goal. Of course, I've been on teams that have missed the PK, so try telling them that!