McCallie vs Father Ryan

singlewing

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cbg, in your post from Sept. 22 you asked several good questions about the state of Father Ryan football....It`s my opinion that Ryan`s best football days are behind them.....For no other reason but that the high school landscape has changed so much in the last 5-6 years.....As I have said before, the opening of JPII and Ensworth along with MBA`s stepped up efforts to attract more students to their school has greatly diluted the pool of Catholic students for Father Ryan to choose from.....There is a lot of competition for students among the privates and Ryan has not been able to keep up like they were able to do in the past...... The old guard you referred to has largely faded away, which in some cases is not such a bad thing....many of them simply wanted to badmouth everything that went on at Ryan. .......But I do think there has been a realization that has set in that, in the new Division II football world, Ryan for the most part is going to be looking up at several teams ahead of them.....JPII has the same problem.........The new Ryan football/track complex that will be in place for next season will be a shot in the arm for the program, but I not sure if it will solve some of the systemic problems that the school will continue to face in football.......I`m not saying that there won`t be some years that things will line up and we are competitive with the upper echelon of DII.....But to do it consistently year in and year out like MBA and BA are doing right now, I just don`t see it......Like I said earlier, this year I`m now looking at a 5-5 year for the Irish.......and if we lose to the Big Red again this year, 11 years in a row.......UGH!

Cbg, in your post from Sept. 22 you asked several good questions about the state of Father Ryan football....It`s my opinion that Ryan`s best football days are behind them.....For no other reason but that the high school landscape has changed so much in the last 5-6 years.....As I have said before, the opening of JPII and Ensworth along with MBA`s stepped up efforts to attract more students to their school has greatly diluted the pool of Catholic students for Father Ryan to choose from.....There is a lot of competition for students among the privates and Ryan has not been able to keep up like they were able to do in the past...... The old guard you referred to has largely faded away, which in some cases is not such a bad thing....many of them simply wanted to badmouth everything that went on at Ryan. .......But I do think there has been a realization that has set in that, in the new Division II football world, Ryan for the most part is going to be looking up at several teams ahead of them.....JPII has the same problem.........The new Ryan football/track complex that will be in place for next season will be a shot in the arm for the program, but I not sure if it will solve some of the systemic problems that the school will continue to face in football.......I`m not saying that there won`t be some years that things will line up and we are competitive with the upper echelon of DII.....But to do it consistently year in and year out like MBA and BA are doing right now, I just don`t see it......Like I said earlier, this year I`m now looking at a 5-5 year for the Irish.......and if we lose to the Big Red again this year, 11 years in a row.......UGH!

Sadly, I tend to agree. /sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

That doesn't make sense... both are DII East/Middle region. So does it not officially count as a region game for some odd reason?

Last years game between Ryan and JPII was not a region game. Don't know the why's and why nots. That was a quote in the paper by Jeff Brothers of JPII. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

What do you see as the cause or the problem?

A difficult question to answer. The Coach is a good one. The facilities don't matter, stadium etc. What you have is a lack of talent. Now before anyone posts that their Johnny is very talented, I am talking about in relation to the other top DII schools. The top schools in Div II simply have more athletic talent than Ryan in football. As to glory years, take a good, long, hard look at the last forty or fifty years of Ryan football and I find it hard to pick out glory years. Granted the two title years were great. They have had some good seasons, but many more average seasons. Perhaps the glory years is tied to urban legend a little bit. I remember vividly during the 70's many of my public schools chums that I grew up with in my neighborhood telling me that Father Ryan were the hardest hitters in the city of Nashville. Whether it was true or not, they believed that. As I stated, these were public school kids. I haven't heard that statement in a long time and don't expect to. One other factor that is tied to level of talent is the fact that their athletic pool has taken some hits as other posters have stated. Ryan is one choice of many good choices to play football for or just to attend school. Ryan now has four or five hundred males, but in the past had eight or nine hundred males or somewhere in that neighborhood. They will have teams in the future that can play with anybody in Div II, but not year in and year out. I am not a booster that believes that all sacrifices should be made for football or any other single sport. There are many sports being played at Father Ryan and the females have won multiple state championships in many sports and represent the school in the finest tradition. Fairness should be first and foremost. As to tuition hikes, that is no different than any other private, they all go up. And if they win ten games every year, tuition will still go up. What is the answer, Maybe there isn't one. Maybe everything is going okay at Ryan. Oh, I know there are football fans that are unhappy because they are average at best in that sport, but when you look at all the sports, Ryan looks pretty good. And the increased focus on academics is certainly a good thing. PS there are some who would wish most of the financial aid would go to football and too bad for anyone else who may need it in order to send their child to Father Ryan. I cannot agree with this train of thought and don't think it is in the best interest of Ryan or any other school. If Father Ryan is being true to what it was created for, perhaps things are as they should be, instead of how some would wish they would be. My greatest wish is that they would keep tuition in check or in the near future, you truly will have to be upper middle class to even attend, that would be sad. Fund raising should have as its primary goal, to keep tuition in check. One last thought, What is the hardest sport to play at Father Ryan? Answer is any sport that is not football./smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

A difficult question to answer. The Coach is a good one. The facilities don't matter, stadium etc. What you have is a lack of talent. Now before anyone posts that their Johnny is very talented, I am talking about in relation to the other top DII schools. The top schools in Div II simply have more athletic talent than Ryan in football. As to glory years, take a good, long, hard look at the last forty or fifty years of Ryan football and I find it hard to pick out glory years. Granted the two title years were great. They have had some good seasons, but many more average seasons. Perhaps the glory years is tied to urban legend a little bit. I remember vividly during the 70's many of my public schools chums that I grew up with in my neighborhood telling me that Father Ryan were the hardest hitters in the city of Nashville. Whether it was true or not, they believed that. As I stated, these were public school kids. I haven't heard that statement in a long time and don't expect to. One other factor that is tied to level of talent is the fact that their athletic pool has taken some hits as other posters have stated. Ryan is one choice of many good choices to play football for or just to attend school. Ryan now has four or five hundred males, but in the past had eight or nine hundred males or somewhere in that neighborhood. They will have teams in the future that can play with anybody in Div II, but not year in and year out. I am not a booster that believes that all sacrifices should be made for football or any other single sport. There are many sports being played at Father Ryan and the females have won multiple state championships in many sports and represent the school in the finest tradition. Fairness should be first and foremost. As to tuition hikes, that is no different than any other private, they all go up. And if they win ten games every year, tuition will still go up. What is the answer, Maybe there isn't one. Maybe everything is going okay at Ryan. Oh, I know there are football fans that are unhappy because they are average at best in that sport, but when you look at all the sports, Ryan looks pretty good. And the increased focus on academics is certainly a good thing. PS there are some who would wish most of the financial aid would go to football and too bad for anyone else who may need it in order to send their child to Father Ryan. I cannot agree with this train of thought and don't think it is in the best interest of Ryan or any other school. If Father Ryan is being true to what it was created for, perhaps things are as they should be, instead of how some would wish they would be. My greatest wish is that they would keep tuition in check or in the near future, or you truly will have to be upper middle class to even attend, that would be sad. Fund raising should have as its primary goal, to keep tuition in check. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

That's a very thoughtful and well reasoned response. I'm an MBA alum, and thus not a Ryan fan by any stretch of the imagination. However, I am also Catholic, and I have the highest regard for the Catholic school system and its goals and purposes. I think in the short term things will stay as they are. However, Nashville's immigration is heavily Hispanic and Catholic. While many of the first generation will not be football players, the second and subsequent generations will embrace US culture, to include football with the odd-shaped ball. I would suspect that Ryan will claim some of those; they can't all live in Madison, Goodlettsville and Hendersonville.

Last years game between Ryan and JPII was not a region game. Don't know the why's and why nots. That was a quote in the paper by Jeff Brothers of JPII. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

And this years game between JPII and Ryan was not a Region game either. JPII is 1-1 in the Region and Ryan is 0-2 I believe.

That's a very thoughtful and well reasoned response. I'm an MBA alum, and thus not a Ryan fan by any stretch of the imagination. However, I am also Catholic, and I have the highest regard for the Catholic school system and its goals and purposes. I think in the short term things will stay as they are. However, Nashville's immigration is heavily Hispanic and Catholic. While many of the first generation will not be football players, the second and subsequent generations will embrace US culture, to include football with the odd-shaped ball. I would suspect that Ryan will claim some of those; they can't all live in Madison, Goodlettsville and Hendersonville.

Thanks, I hope you are correct in the future predictions concerning Irish football. By the way, I have the greatest respect for MBA as well. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

And this years game between JPII and Ryan was not a Region game either. JPII is 1-1 in the Region and Ryan is 0-2 I believe.

You mean there is actually a JPII poster this season. Golly Jeez, I am so thankful for that infomation and that the Headmaster Academy has something to brag about. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Thanks, I hope you are correct in the future predictions concerning Irish football. By the way, I have the greatest respect for MBA as well. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

You mean there is actually a JPII poster this season. Golly Jeez, I am so thankful for that infomation and that the Headmaster Academy has something to brag about. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

who said I was a JPII fan? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

It sounds as if Father Ryan & their support system has thrown in the towel on the football program for the near future. It takes much work, funds & dedication to have a program that can compete at the upper level of D2 and the statements made by most on this message board seem to be that Father Ryan is not willing to make the changes necessary to compete with the best teams. The only problem that I see is that the best catholic athletes will go to other schools at an even higer % than they are at the present time which will hurt all sports at Father Ryan. Could it only be a few years before the volleyball team, soccer team and wrestling team are not able to compete with the top teams in Tennessee?