JCS and USJ to move do DII

Trojan Fan

So when is SBEC going to play against teams from its own state, thats the move I am waiting for... /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

In all seriousness I think these schools are making the right decision. It is just not right that the kids have to play against teams 3 or 4 times their size. Sure some schools could compete with small numbers but most cant. A when you were in high school I know mine and everyones elses dream was to win a State Championship. Thats why you have divisions in the first place, to split the schools by enrollment, and the multiplier goes against that. Sure teams like Lipscomb and Goodpasture compete, but other teams dont and if they want to move then they should, no questions asked.

I also think it is good for D2, because they are getting more, better teams. I think it will be more competitive for them and isnt that what you want. Plus you say USJ is looking to move because they will auotmatically get a championship, but they are having a pretty good year in their class now, and barely beat a D2-A school and lost to that school last year.

Not trying to start anything, I just think the reasons for switching are a lot more reasonable than just wanting to win championships BUT that is a factor and it should be.

I agree..............

My problem is that the point is being made of moving to win Championships?

If the Privates pulled out all together, formed their own League, governed themselves, pass biased legislation, diluted the system with more divisions and more titles, punished some schools for open enrollment and not others, and multiplied the enrollment of schools they couldn't beat........then I guess you could say that is what it was all about.

Sound Familiar???????????

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So when is SBEC going to play against teams from its own state, thats the move I am waiting for... /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

That's a good and fair question. It was a ministry of several Baptist churches in Memphis hence the SBEC name instead of something a little shorter and easier to manage. Don't be surprised if the name doesn't change some time in the future. Broadway Baptist ended up being the only church supporting the school and when it moved from Shelby into DeSoto county in Mississippi (it's probably 3-4 miles tops from the state line) the school moved with it. It's definitely a school w/ a much longer history of playing in Tennessee.

They started off playing in the MPSA and it wasn't a bad fit but while SBEC is one of the smaller academies in the TSSAA it's one of the bigger ones in Mississippi. Prep and JA are bigger I think but I'm not sure many others are. SBEC's "district" consisted of Clarksdale Lee, Greenwood Pillow, Jackson Prep, Jackson Academy, can't remember who else but EVERY away game was at least 2-3 hours minimum making 5-6 hour round trips. The cost for travel was prohibitive. I can only imagine what it is now. All the other academies near us (Marshall, Magnolia Heights, TIL, North Delta, etc.) are smaller and not in our class. The worst part was having junior high kids making 6 hour round trips on week nights. It simply did NOT work...for anybody. The TSSAA was kind enough to let us back in and it's been great playing Bishop Byrne, FACS, Catholic (no football now), St. George's, TRA, Rossville, etc. which are ALL closer than the MPSA opponents.

I'll say this, too. TRA, Fayette, and I think Rossville Christian all used to be in the MPSA. FACS was at one time, too, I think and at least a couple of other Memphis area academies but I think they're all playing TSSAA now which is nice. I think it speaks well to the great fit that DII-A has been for these smaller schools and BIG kudos to the TSSAA for the way it's worked out. I know DII has not been wonderful for everybody and appreciate that fact. It's been great for us, though, and I think the other schools in A would agree. It's not because we're winning everything, either...because goodness knows we're NOT winning everything....not even close /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> God bless Davidson for all the travel they've had to endure. I know they have to be jacked about the Jackson schools joining and maybe Donelson and a couple of other over that way if it works out. They're a great school to compete with and I hope we continue to be able to. Super folks over there and throughout the whole district. I'd love to have Fayette back on the schedule and rumor is they may move to DII.

As to SBEC playing MS schools (and I know you were just teasing) we actually were playing some MPSA teams a while back and stopped but then played Prairie View from Bastrop, LA from the MPSA the last couple of years to fill a late open spot when Middleton HS (in Tenn) dropped us at the last minute. We played Center Hill HS (4a public) 2 weeks ago and go to Lewisburg (3a public) this Friday. Both are MHSAA public schools in DeSoto County, MS which is awesome to play schools so close to us and you know a lot of the other kids due to proximity. They're both MUCH larger than SBEC but are easily the 2 smallest public schools in DeSoto county so it's worked out the last couple of years. It's a tough spot for SBEC b/c of location. Again, it's really been great to be back in the TSSAA.

That's a good and fair question. It was a ministry of several Baptist churches in Memphis hence the SBEC name instead of something a little shorter and easier to manage. Don't be surprised if the name doesn't change some time in the future. Broadway Baptist ended up being the only church supporting the school and when it moved from Shelby into DeSoto county in Mississippi (it's probably 3-4 miles tops from the state line) the school moved with it. It's definitely a school w/ a much longer history of playing in Tennessee.

They started off playing in the MPSA and it wasn't a bad fit but while SBEC is one of the smaller academies in the TSSAA it's one of the bigger ones in Mississippi. Prep and JA are bigger I think but I'm not sure many others are. SBEC's "district" consisted of Clarksdale Lee, Greenwood Pillow, Jackson Prep, Jackson Academy, can't remember who else but EVERY away game was at least 2-3 hours minimum making 5-6 hour round trips. The cost for travel was prohibitive. I can only imagine what it is now. All the other academies near us (Marshall, Magnolia Heights, TIL, North Delta, etc.) are smaller and not in our class. The worst part was having junior high kids making 6 hour round trips on week nights. It simply did NOT work...for anybody. The TSSAA was kind enough to let us back in and it's been great playing Bishop Byrne, FACS, Catholic (no football now), St. George's, TRA, Rossville, etc. which are ALL closer than the MPSA opponents.

I'll say this, too. TRA, Fayette, and I think Rossville Christian all used to be in the MPSA. FACS was at one time, too, I think and at least a couple of other Memphis area academies but I think they're all playing TSSAA now which is nice. I think it speaks well to the great fit that DII-A has been for these smaller schools and BIG kudos to the TSSAA for the way it's worked out. I know DII has not been wonderful for everybody and appreciate that fact. It's been great for us, though, and I think the other schools in A would agree. It's not because we're winning everything, either...because goodness knows we're NOT winning everything....not even close /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> God bless Davidson for all the travel they've had to endure. I know they have to be jacked about the Jackson schools joining and maybe Donelson and a couple of other over that way if it works out. They're a great school to compete with and I hope we continue to be able to. Super folks over there and throughout the whole district. I'd love to have Fayette back on the schedule and rumor is they may move to DII.

As to SBEC playing MS schools (and I know you were just teasing) we actually were playing some MPSA teams a while back and stopped but then played Prairie View from Bastrop, LA from the MPSA the last couple of years to fill a late open spot when Middleton HS (in Tenn) dropped us at the last minute. We played Center Hill HS (4a public) 2 weeks ago and go to Lewisburg (3a public) this Friday. Both are MHSAA public schools in DeSoto County, MS which is awesome to play schools so close to us and you know a lot of the other kids due to proximity. They're both MUCH larger than SBEC but are easily the 2 smallest public schools in DeSoto county so it's worked out the last couple of years. It's a tough spot for SBEC b/c of location. Again, it's really been great to be back in the TSSAA.

As someone who went to TRA and played ball back in the MPSA days and now has kids that play ball there now, I can say that I enjoy being in TSSAA. That being said I don't understand why it was set up the way it is. I can understand why the TSSAA placed the multiplier on schools that offer tuition assistance and do active recruiting, but I don't understand how you place restrictions on or penalize small schools that everyone pays the same for the privilege of sending their kids there.

The multiplier was put in to make public schools happy. All back to Brentwood Academy and others I suppose. The thing that blows my mind is that DI private schools can not offer financial aid. Only DII schools can. So why are all the public schools wanting to punish all that DI private schools? The only thing I can figure is that anyone in the middle tn area can choose Brentwood academy and drive right by 5 public high schools to get there. There are no zones for private schools. The multiplier is deadly to some private schools.

The multiplier was put in to make public schools happy. All back to Brentwood Academy and others I suppose. The thing that blows my mind is that DI private schools can not offer financial aid. Only DII schools can. So why are all the public schools wanting to punish all that DI private schools? The only thing I can figure is that anyone in the middle tn area can choose Brentwood academy and drive right by 5 public high schools to get there. There are no zones for private schools. The multiplier is deadly to some private schools.

Name 1 instance outside of the Middletons and Adamsvilles of the world who are "wanting to punish of the D1 private schools"! Name just 1! No one is complaining about JCS and USJ competing. Not Westview, not Gibson County, not Humbolt, not Milan, not Peabody and even as bad as Dresden is........not even them! It's the Eagles and Bruins crying foul! Explain this...........JCS is 2-2 and 1-1 in the region! They have beaten Fayette Academy, lost to Westview (turning the ball over 4 times), lost a close one AT Davidson Academy, and BEAT Gibson County 42-0.............42-0 and still say the system is NOT fair! 42-0.........a big public school..........and still it's not fair! Go figure! If you don't go 10-0 and win the state title ...........it's not fair!

USJ is 4-0! They have beaten TCA, Humbolt, Harding Academy, and Dresden! Yes, under the new Z-plan, you will play SOME new and SOME of the same schools with probably the same results! Who cares if you play Liberty, JCM, or Northside! You are already beating schools that are better than they are!! What a bunch of cry babies!!

Just play!!!

Name 1 instance outside of the Middletons and Adamsvilles of the world who are "wanting to punish of the D1 private schools"! Name just 1! No one is complaining about JCS and USJ competing. Not Westview, not Gibson County, not Humbolt, not Milan, not Peabody and even as bad as Dresden is........not even them! It's the Eagles and Bruins crying foul! Explain this...........JCS is 2-2 and 1-1 in the region! They have beaten Fayette Academy, lost to Westview (turning the ball over 4 times), lost a close one AT Davidson Academy, and BEAT Gibson County 42-0.............42-0 and still say the system is NOT fair! 42-0.........a big public school..........and still it's not fair! Go figure! If you don't go 10-0 and win the state title ...........it's not fair!

USJ is 4-0! They have beaten TCA, Humbolt, Harding Academy, and Dresden! Yes, under the new Z-plan, you will play SOME new and SOME of the same schools with probably the same results! Who cares if you play Liberty, JCM, or Northside! You are already beating schools that are better than they are!! What a bunch of cry babies!!

Just play!!!

I think I remember reading that you were a JCS supporter?

Not sure how it came about over there, but @ USJ, this decision was made behind close doors, amongst tight lips, with abosolutely no input from anyone other than the chosen ones inside the room.

I do believe that this decision was not just based on 1/2 of 1 year as you have done, yet the powers-be obviously thought it was better in the long run. Not saying it is right or wrong, and I personally am glad we jumped, yet my opinon is biased as to my own personal situation.

JMO

Advisor, why don't you get a clue. Go back and look at who the individuals behind the multiplier. One of the major "pushers" was Satterfield in Trousdale County. He was tired of having to play a DCA, CPA, FRA, or Ezell early in the playoff every year.

None of these schools jumped to DII when hit with the multiplier. They have been competing against schools 2 times there size for four years sometimes with more success than others. These teams usually did well until hitting the Alcoa's of the world.

It was not until the Z-plan was proposed that several of these schools looked at going DII. It is hard to compete week in and week out when you have several games on your schedule with schools 3 times your size.

• 2 weeks later...