Congrats to 2 TN Teams on making NATIONAL RANKINGS!

fargen01

Clearly you were attentive in math classes....still, 8 teams was all they gave us.

Actually there are 13 teams in DII now:

MBA

BA

Ensworth

JPII

BGA

Baylor

McCallie

Webb

MUS

CBHS

Briarcrest

ECHS

and one other in West Tennessee (see Kelly I remembered to capitalize West just like Mrs. Bowen taught).

I actually never had the pleasure of studying under the tuteluge of Mrs. Bowen, having not grown up in Nashville. But both of my boys learned from her Big Red Notebook in 7th grade.

oh ya, sweet dreams.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually there are 13 teams in DII now:

MBA

BA

Ensworth

JPII

BGA

Baylor

McCallie

Webb

MUS

CBHS

Briarcrest

ECHS

and one other in West Tennessee (see Kelly I remembered to capitalize West just like Mrs. Bowen taught).

St. Benedict is the other West Tennessee team. Actually, there are 14 teams. Don't forget our former Elliston Place friends now on Franklin Road.

St. Benedict is the other West Tennessee team. Actually, there are 14 teams. Don't forget our former Elliston Place friends now on Franklin Road.

How could I forget that team that put up 6 big points on us in 2 games last year? Of course that is all BA put up on us too.

Last year was really satisfying especially being the dad of a Senior. But now upward and onward.

Have a link? I'd like to go back and look at it. Your responses definitely resonate with me.

I feel your pain though. I thought my prophylactic reference earlier in this thread was one of my better efforts, but apparently not.

Do i have a link? I saved it, it was nominated for an award.

Your prophylactic reference was good, but the audience here frequently includes people in study halls. They may not know what a prophyactic is, and how it fits into the "who's your daddy?" reference.

The rerun is below. I still giggle to myself over it. Yes, I know that's not a sign of robust, good mental health. Just remember, 6 years at MBA, 20 in police work, and almost 23 yrs of marriage:

>QUOTE(statebound @ Nov 11 2007 - 02:53 AM)

Only thing i ask for is a fair called game from the refs. wasn't one last year at mba, but then again when is it ever a fair called game when you play at mba??? and wasn't this year at greer either.

This means mba parents or alumni don't pay the refs, let the teams decide who wins

My first thought when I read this post was a very cynical one, thinking this was the ultimate form of whining "The referees beat us"; not that they were inept, or even biased, but that they were actually bought off.

And then I though about how much money there was at MBA, and thought maybe the writer had a point: maybe MBA wasn't particularly good, and never had been, they just paid off the officials. Then I wondered about the '70's, when we had a long dry spell, especially against Ryan. Why didn't somebody pay the referees, especially in '73, when the difference was only a field goal, and a win might have put MBA into the playoffs? In a game that close, it shouldn't have taken a lot; we probably could have raised it in the stands that night. It seems awfully tight-fisted and short-sighted to have trusted to talent to win it. Then I wondered why MBA had ever lost, but that seemed silly; I mean, there clearly is a limit to the cash. But still, it seems a good investment to pay for wins in district/region games, and certainly the playoffs. I think back to the loss to Ryan in the '97 State Championship, and had always assumed that the difference lay in slightly better execution from Ryan, which is painful, but I can live with it. But to think it was just a matter of a check not being sent? Unconscionable, and shoddy! Think of that loss to BA a few years back when there was controversy over whether their game-winning field goal came after time expired: Did BA outbid us, for heaven's sake? That left me livid. I've said for years the recruiting director (whoever he is, nobody seems to know when I call out there) should be fired, but do we also need to get rid of the Assistant Athletic Director for Insuring Favorable Officiating? I found myself thinking maybe they need a wholesale housecleaning out on Harding Road, and as an alumnus I should start the ball rolling.

And then I thought about it again, and decided Statebound's post was one of the most ridiculous and whiny posts I had ever read, and went on about my business.

There is a good chance your work here wins a literary prize this year. Well stated!

Maybe I can work with CoachT to create a site for us old guys so that we can leave the trash talkers here and actually discuss the games, the teams, and the issues surrounding HS sports.

FlyBy

<

With apologies in advance to pepvol or anyone else who may get bothered by this:

Maryville is everyone's daddy in 4A. However, the Rebels are wearing prophylactics in terms of proclaiming paternal supremacy in/over every other classification.

(And yes, the same could be said of any other team from one classification who proclaims paternal dominance over any other classification in which it does not play.)

I live in MARYVILLE , I have done so for about 17 yrs. Idid not go to school or grow up here but my children have. We have follwed MHS since 1999 - 2000. It was merely by chance that this started as Ihappened to have a night off one friday and they were playing my old school.

I would like to say that I have never , ever heard GQ , anyone on his staff or any of his players ever lay claim to anything but what they rightfully won. 65 games , to play 65 games and win them all without a loss is something that the kids deserve to be proud of. These young men sacrifice and commit to something bigger than themselves. It is a tradition , it is a way of life for most every young boy on the play grounds of MARYVILLE ,to the practice field. As far as crowing goes , I do not see near as much of it here as Ido many many other places who have no reason to , including many of our defeated foes. I will say that the program is at the top , the support is unwavering. When you go to the BLACKHOLE on a Friday night you will see most everyone you know. There are people there who's kids have long since graduated , there are those who do not have children in the HS yet and then there are those who do not even have children at all. It t really is an atmosphere that is unexplainable in someways. Now I know what many of you are thinking... I am not comparing or dismissing any of the other programs and there traditions and venues as I have enjoyed many of them as well. We are proud of our kids and their accomplishments ,as I am confident, that you all are proud of yours. I have seen these kids play teams that on paper they should never have even been close to and BEAT them. I have watched a REBEL team come from a 22 point deficit and score 42 unanswered points against a very confident and talented KNOX - CENTRAL team. I am not saying that we could go anywhere and walk through the park but I will say this ... we could go most anywhere and play like champions , win or lose. Everyone seemingly expects MARYVILLE fans to apologize for the success that our young men have had , it seems that we always draw those who are frustrated with our success to one degree or another. We are going to ride this wave as long and as far as it goes , just as any of you would , and we will not walk in to anyones house with our heads down but we will respect our opponents before , during and after the contest, win , lose or draw. We will not quit or lay down and will not be dismissed , whoever beats us will have to do it. I am not syaing that it cannot be done Iam saying that it will have to be done. We as fans , players and coaches expect what comes from wearing the big black M and we are proud of it. Good luck to everyone this season and may it be productive and healthy for all.

I live in MARYVILLE , I have done so for about 17 yrs. Idid not go to school or grow up here but my children have. We have follwed MHS since 1999 - 2000. It was merely by chance that this started as Ihappened to have a night off one friday and they were playing my old school.

I would like to say that I have never , ever heard GQ , anyone on his staff or any of his players ever lay claim to anything but what they rightfully won. 65 games , to play 65 games and win them all without a loss is something that the kids deserve to be proud of. These young men sacrifice and commit to something bigger than themselves. It is a tradition , it is a way of life for most every young boy on the play grounds of MARYVILLE ,to the practice field. As far as crowing goes , I do not see near as much of it here as Ido many many other places who have no reason to , including many of our defeated foes. I will say that the program is at the top , the support is unwavering. When you go to the BLACKHOLE on a Friday night you will see most everyone you know. There are people there who's kids have long since graduated , there are those who do not have children in the HS yet and then there are those who do not even have children at all. It t really is an atmosphere that is unexplainable in someways. Now I know what many of you are thinking... I am not comparing or dismissing any of the other programs and there traditions and venues as I have enjoyed many of them as well. We are proud of our kids and their accomplishments ,as I am confident, that you all are proud of yours. I have seen these kids play teams that on paper they should never have even been close to and BEAT them. I have watched a REBEL team come from a 22 point deficit and score 42 unanswered points against a very confident and talented KNOX - CENTRAL team. I am not saying that we could go anywhere and walk through the park but I will say this ... we could go most anywhere and play like champions , win or lose. Everyone seemingly expects MARYVILLE fans to apologize for the success that our young men have had , it seems that we always draw those who are frustrated with our success to one degree or another. We are going to ride this wave as long and as far as it goes , just as any of you would , and we will not walk in to anyones house with our heads down but we will respect our opponents before , during and after the contest, win , lose or draw. We will not quit or lay down and will not be dismissed , whoever beats us will have to do it. I am not syaing that it cannot be done Iam saying that it will have to be done. We as fans , players and coaches expect what comes from wearing the big black M and we are proud of it. Good luck to everyone this season and may it be productive and healthy for all.

"When you go to the BLACKHOLE"

He he he!