Baylor vs Notre Dame

MVM

I don't have a dog in the hunt in this game and I don't think you do either MVM....Soddy isn't it. Just curious that throughout the soccer season you have referenced this game alot and how ND was going to win. And now you are disappointed....why? Are you anti Baylor, pro ND which would be odd for a Soddy guy or just tired of Baylor's soccer domination? Just have noticed all of your comments on this particular game for a while. And your good luck leprechauns and nothing to the baylor girls on their win. Just seems you don't want Baylor to win and give no credit.

Owlfutol I have NO DISRESPECT for Baylor. Quite the opposite. It just so happens that I know alot of players and parents on the ND squad from past club teams and ODP and the coaches from both schools (all first class people). I am disappointed for the ND girls and fans and for DonC. I know or I should say Soddy knows what its like to play a school year after year just to fall short of pulling one out. But I really thought that this would be ND's year to pull one out.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said MVM. Glad you said this because I was starting to think you were always against Baylor now I understand some of your posts. I am a Red Bank guy and have been for many years. Just also happen to love soccer and unfortunatley soccer has not taken hold like football has at Red Bank. So on Friday nights I am following the Lions wherever they go. But kindof adopted the Baylor teams in soccer (don't have a kid that has ever gone there) just because of the excellence they always seem to possess. I just love watching quality soccer and you can pretty well count that the Baylor girls and boys are going to a have a good team year in and year out. That does not mean that I do not pull for other teams as well because I do. But I have grown to really admire the product that they continually put out. So for me it is go Red Bank in football and go Baylor in soccer!

I agree Baylor is loaded and we played well against them. It was 0-0 with 18 minutes left in the game before they scored and until then it could have been anybody's game. But Don there is just something about beating Baylor. I was lucky that in '02 my son was on the Soddy boys team when they beat Baylor 2-0 in a regular season game. You would have thought we had won the state tournament.

To the Baylor folks....please understand, your program is first class and there is no team in Chattanooga that wouldn't love to beat you. Which really goes to show have much the other schools around Chattanooga respects your success. And when or if Soddy ever gets you again, and we go a little nuts in the stands don't take it as disrespect but as the ultimate respect.

Bluelion, glad to have to you following Baylor soccer! Please introduce yourself at a game sometime. Baylor played another outstanding opponent last night in Notre Dame and came out victorious. Baylor has had a brutal schedule so far and has performed extremely well. This should really help going into post season play. To the Notre Dame team...you played an outstanding game. I know how badly you wanted to win this game and your performance certainly showed that. But as with Baylor...this game will do nothing but make you better going into postseason. Good luck in state this year. We are blessed with several outstanding soccer teams this year in Chattanooga that should make alot of noise and hopefully bring home some hardware in several divisions. Again, good luck to all.

ote name='bluelion' date='Sep 24 2008 - 01:10 PM' post='826867639']

Well said MVM. Glad you said this because I was starting to think you were always against Baylor now I understand some of your posts. I am a Red Bank guy and have been for many years. Just also happen to love soccer and unfortunatley soccer has not taken hold like football has at Red Bank. So on Friday nights I am following the Lions wherever they go. But kindof adopted the Baylor teams in soccer (don't have a kid that has ever gone there) just because of the excellence they always seem to possess. I just love watching quality soccer and you can pretty well count that the Baylor girls and boys are going to a have a good team year in and year out. That does not mean that I do not pull for other teams as well because I do. But I have grown to really admire the product that they continually put out. So for me it is go Red Bank in football and go Baylor in soccer!

To the Notre Dame team...you played an outstanding game. I know how badly you wanted to win this game and your performance certainly showed that.

Bigred thanks for the kind words concerning the game. I was very concerned that with the way that Baylor defense had played so far this year with shutouts wins vs Collierville, Riverdale, Bearden and BGA that Notre Dame would not be able to mount an effective offensive attack vs Baylor. These teams that Baylor had shutout are some of the very best offensive teams in the state. So with that being said the whistle blows and Baylor immediately starts on the the offensive and for the first 5 minutes or so of the game ND had withstand a flurry of crosses and shots on goal. I think to myself this could be a long night if we don't turn things around quickly. At this point the Irish got the ball to the mid field and started to mount their own attack. With 13 minutes into the game Danielle Ciabattone sends a rocket from the 25 that goes off Taylor Davidson's hands and hits the far post. The ball rebounds off the post and appears to hit Davidson's legs and she scrambles to pick up the loose ball. With 8 minutes left in the half a foul is called on the Irish (more about that later) and Baylor is awarded a free kick. Carissa Sanchez does a nice job of lofting a ball to the middle of the field where Caroline Scales settles the ball and nails a ball into the back of the net from the 20. There is lots of back and forth play as ND is having some great runs but just can't seem to find the back of the net. The flow goes back and forth and we go into half down 1-0. We have played very well but we still have not been able to score on Baylor and we certainly had our share of opportunities. I was mingling with many of the Baylor parents and many of them said they felt very fortunate to be up 1-0 because they felt like ND had controlled the pace of play in much of the first half. The second half starts and ND picks up where they had left off at the end of the first half doing an excellent job of passing ball to feet and finding the open player. At this point I have to mention some players who I thought had a great game. I thought that Danielle Ciabattone had a great game as did Caroline Scales, these two girls who my opinion are two of the very best mid fielders in the state and both played like it. These two players alternated between offense and defense with each throwing enough balls to the offensive end to create multiple scoring opportunities for each team. I have seen these two girls play for many years (together) but this was an epic battle of will between the two of them. Darcy Brannen for ND and Carissa Sanchez for Baylor were also very active and played extremely well for their respective teams. In the second half Kris Cambron and Carey Leiper who had been playing the give and go ball all night ( both playing extremely well all night) and with 22 minutes left in the second half Kris finds Carey and she make 3 or 4 remarkable moves as she weaves her way through the Baylor defense. Carey gets behind the defenders and has but the keeper to beat and she does a beautiful job of being patient and buries the ball in the back of the net. Tied 1-1, at this point many of the Irish faithful are thinking that this is going to be our night. The game goes back and forth like it has much of the night with each team having some scoring opportunities. With 12 minutes to go in the game Kris Cambron settles a ball at about the 27 and sends a laser shot that hits the cross bar. I was sure that that was going to find the back of the net but it was not meant to be. At the 6 minute mark a high kick (I believe) was called against the Irish and at about the 30, Carissa Sanchez hits a beautiful ball that went into the top of the net. Three minute later Sarah Gawthrop sends a nice cross over to McKenzie Thomas who did a very nice job of settling it and putting the ball into the net. I must mention some players from both teams who IMHO played very well; for Notre Dame: Kate Caramante, Alex Mullin, Michelle Spangler, Megan Phipps as well as the aforementioned players. For Baylor: the back line, (as always the bend but don't break mentality) as well as the aforementioned Baylor players. This again was a classic matchup of 2 very good teams. I must mention that at the very least there were a couple of calls that were questionable at best, the first regarding Baylor's free kick on which they ended up scoring on. There was also a no call where one of ND's players went down hard in the box directly in front of the goal. I realize that this is part of the game and sometimes you get the calls and sometimes you don't but in the end it would have been nice not to talk about the referees at all. This was the the best game Notre Dame played this year. If they keep up this kind of play I feel confident that they will do very well when it come state tourney time. A special shout out to Cydney Parkes of Baylor and Shannon Kelly of Notre Dame who were injured and were unable to play. Congrats to the Baylor team and best of luck at your run at the state title. I hope you are hoisting the state cup and that the Lady Irish are as well!

Chasanooga....I am completely impressed with your knowledge of the game. Have you considered covering soccer for the local media? Thanks for your hope for the Baylor team in the playoffs. I believe our schedule will help us in making a run for the title....at least that is my hope. There are alot of quality D2 teams that will try to stop Baylor for sure. Again, best of luck to the Irish. Your team sure has the talent to make a deep run in A/AA and hopefullly go all the way

Thought I'd share a picture that Chasanooga took after the game. These girls, all seniors (except one), had just finished playing against each other, but paused after the game to have the picture taken together. Most are still current members of the same club team -- Express 91. A few, are not members any more, but they played together for many years are are still friends.

http://tennessee.coacht.com/gallery/galler...p;photoid=68979

(missing 2 girls that should have been in the picture -- Carrie L., who played for many years on Express 91, and Carissa S., who has just joined the team).

Thought I'd share a picture that Chasanooga took after the game. These girls, all seniors (except one), had just finished playing against each other, but paused after the game to have the picture taken together. Most are still current members of the same club team -- Express 91. A few, are not members any more, but they played together for many years are are still friends.

Cool picture. Thanks for sharing.

What a great picture. And after such a hard fought game there friendship really shows through. Impressive.