Union City @ Obion County Central...Who Wins?

uctfan

jumpingjack....

I know very well what Bowling was doing and what kind of coach he is..My son played for him(started for three and played center his last two years)four years and I saw him coach roughly 42 games...First off,the strategy OC employed at the first of the game by hitting him,knocking him down actually three or four times after he had handed the ball off rattled him...He had not seen that this year...No doubt about it...He was skittish after that..Again he was losing the football by not securing it....In his(Bowling's)offense the "S" back or fullback (Sanderson for the majority of the night)really never knows for sure if he is going to get the ball on the handoff..Speed makes that call with his read...Everytime,or almost everytime Speed made the decision to hand the ball off...JustaOCfan is right,OC throttled him for the most part..I wouldn't be surprised if Jackson hasn't seen this offense during his coaching in Missouri because they had a very good gameplan....Give credit to the two guards and center on UC's O-Line...Those guys put in a good night's work....The third quarter reminded me an awful lot like the game-winning drive down in Ripley in my son's senior season..They ran the same play 9 or 10 times in a row..Handed the ball off to Mark Grooms and ran right behind the center's blocks...That was the last time OC won a game by the way...

And what about the fake punt??....Another deception call by the master official....That's at least three times(against a Bowling coached team..I don't know about when he was at D-Burg)that same ref has called that same penalty on the same play....

Bowling and Speed are both smart enough to figure out as the season progresses all teams are going to take him out of the mix and thats got to free something else up. Throttle him,hit him late, whatever he will hurt you with his legs or his brains.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the 1st down on the holding call for OC, the hold was downfield at the end of the play. I believe that is considered a spot foul, not a line of scrimmage foul. Therefore, after the penalty is marked off from the spot of the foul, OC still had enough for the 1st down. On the PAT, the kick appeared to have missed to the right from the sideline. I watched the goal official for the indication. He didn't signal good or wave it off. He held his arms straight out to each side. I have no clue what that indicates. The officiating wasn't great, but at least it was even in my opinion. Much better than up in Lone Oak. I couldn't smell any home cooking last night.

You did notice the crew was short a man last night??..There was only one ref under the goalposts..I don't believe Baldridge was there..CARPENTER WAS THOUGH...There were way too many officials huddles last night..They really didn't have much of a clue what they were doing..I'm pretty sure the confusion on the holding call was that the chain gang took it upon themselves to march on down the field and spot the ball and the refs didn't know where the ball was to start with...The refs didn't have much of an impact except for the fact they wouldn't let the game have any flow about it...As for Lone Oak...A Tennessee team is and will always get the shaft when they go north of the border..You have to be prepared for that...

Back to crowd size..The Rebs have to play D-Burg and Dyer County being in the region and all...The biggest crowds OC has is when they play Union City...And now,for the most part,it's the same way at UC....The crowd UC had when Westview came to play was huge..There are no 1A teams that draws the gates at UC that even comes close to the Central gate..Not even South Fulton...If they don't play it will because of the reclassification and region restructuring..Neither side wants to lose the gate...I still don't understand the new playoff system...

Bowling and Speed are both smart enough to figure out as the season progresses all teams are going to take him out of the mix and thats got to free something else up. Throttle him,hit him late, whatever he will hurt you with his legs or his brains.

Don't get me wrong jumpingjack,I'm glad he decided to play his senior season and he is a talent, but he was a non-factor last night and if he continues to not secure the ball he will HURT the Tornadoes in the long run(i.e the playoffs)...His ball security is just a matter of not being disciplined enough...In this offense you have to secure the football...It's fixable though..He also didn't make the pitch on some of the option plays and one that he did was a bad decision that almost cost the Tornadoes possession deep in Rebel territory...This also is fixable...He just has to continue to improve every week and continue to be coachable...He has in my opinion since Week 1,all but ball security...

Anyone know why Price didn't play last night??

Don't get me wrong jumpingjack,I'm glad he decided to play his senior season and he is a talent, but he was a non-factor last night and if he continues to not secure the ball he will HURT the Tornadoes in the long run(i.e the playoffs)...His ball security is just a matter of not being disciplined enough...In this offense you have to secure the football...It's fixable though..He also didn't make the pitch on some of the option plays and one that he did was a bad decision that almost cost the Tornadoes possession deep in Rebel territory...This also is fixable...He just has to continue to improve every week and continue to be coachable...He has in my opinion since Week 1,all but ball security...

I think they were in his head too. I don't think he was making reads, but simply handing the ball off and taking several hits early. And yes, that was OC's game plan. That's one of the repercussions of that style offense is leaving the QB as fair game for taking shots. Good strategy, just needed to stop the fullback and be effective in their own offense.

Yeah, I noticed there were short. Still haven't figured out what his signal indicates. And yes, way too many conferences required. I believe it took a group effort on their part to figure out most everything they called.

That's the signal for confusion... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I have a thing that shows what the signals mean...Arms straight out is unsportsmanlike conduct....Delay...Start of a half...Illegal participation...

I think they were in his head too. I don't think he was making reads, but simply handing the ball off and taking several hits early. And yes, that was OC's game plan. That's one of the repercussions of that style offense is leaving the QB as fair game for taking shots. Good strategy, just needed to stop the fullback and be effective in their own offense.

You know as well as me that the offense isn't designed for the QB to hand off every time...As it wasn't for Speed to run 35 times against Westview...I agree he wasn't making the right reads on all the plays but then again OC wasn't stopping the run right up the middle either...

I agree with the officiating. Horrible on both sides. I still haven't figured why UC was not allowed to retry the extra point after the false start and why OC was given a first down after a holding penalty. Maybe someone can enlighten us? And was Jere Baldridge one of the officials? I know he didn't make any calls but is that not a conflict of interest with him being in the UC Sports Hall of Fame?

Jere Baldridge runs the clock only, he does not make any calls. I did not see any problems with running the clock, did you?

Apparently, Price had a sore shoulder and his parents and pediatrician did not want him to play. He looked pretty comfortable on the sidelines though.

Looks like L. Sanderson did have a dislocated elbow (sure looked deformed and broken at the game) and was successfully put back in place in Jackson. I do not know how long the recovery will be though.

That's really good news...A dislocated elbow is still bad but not near as bad as what he would have been facing...