Powell @ South Doyle

osunut2

I think most fans were both impressed and shocked by Powell's winning performance against Anderson County last week. South Doyle is a lot like Powell in that they both have that same Jekyll-Hyde persona. Which Powell team will show up this week? I'd like to think that the Panthers have gotten over their sloppy performances against Campbell County and Karns, but anything is possible. South Doyle played well in their 8-point loss against West, but they were destroyed by Clinton 2 weeks ago. I was surprised to see that they could only manage 10 points against a bad Gibbs team. Both of these teams will score some points, but if Powell plays like they did last week, this one won't be close.

My prediction:

Powell 34 - South Doyle 21

I think most fans were both impressed and shocked by Powell's winning performance against Anderson County last week. South Doyle is a lot like Powell in that they both have that same Jekyll-Hyde persona. Which Powell team will show up this week? I'd like to think that the Panthers have gotten over their sloppy performances against Campbell County and Karns, but anything is possible. South Doyle played well in their 8-point loss against West, but they were destroyed by Clinton 2 weeks ago. I was surprised to see that they could only manage 10 points against a bad Gibbs team. Both of these teams will score some points, but if Powell plays like they did last week, this one won't be close.

My prediction:

Powell 34 - South Doyle 21

Well, unlike you and a lot of Powell Fans, I have been saying for the past couple of weeks that they will put it all together if they just get over the mental block that they all had. Some of the senior players on this team thought that it was just suppose to happen and that they did not have to work for anything, but reality set in and now I hope that the hunger that they had on this past Friday will stay with them on both sides of the ball. Also, I think the change in the coaching staff where they are playing the younger guys helps with depth and rest.

Also just to say to all the Powell Family, that I didn't respond to the negative thoughts that some of you had about the team and Kier, but I did want to say that a lot of his play or lack of was due to him having to run for his life most of the time due to the lack of the offensive line not blocking, but I do have to say that on last Friday, they showed that they can stay in their with the best of them and going forward I hope that the mental edge will stay with them.

If the line can hold their block, if Kier can make the right reads, and if the receivers can make a couple of plays with the backs running hard as they have been, then we all will see that this Powell team will be the team that we all thought and think that they can be this year.

Powell 36 - South Doyle 10

Well, unlike you and a lot of Powell Fans, I have been saying for the past couple of weeks that they will put it all together if they just get over the mental block that they all had. Some of the senior players on this team thought that it was just suppose to happen and that they did not have to work for anything, but reality set in and now I hope that the hunger that they had on this past Friday will stay with them on both sides of the ball. Also, I think the change in the coaching staff where they are playing the younger guys helps with depth and rest.

Also just to say to all the Powell Family, that I didn't respond to the negative thoughts that some of you had about the team and Kier, but I did want to say that a lot of his play or lack of was due to him having to run for his life most of the time due to the lack of the offensive line not blocking, but I do have to say that on last Friday, they showed that they can say in their with the best of them and going forward I hope that the mental edge will stay with them.

If the line can hold their block, if Kier can make the right reads, and if the receivers can make a couple of plays with the backs running hard as they have been, then you will see that this Powell team be the team that we all thought and think that they can be this year.

Powell 36 - South Doyle 10

I don't think that I ever said that this team couldn't "put it all together" and succeed. In fact, I haven't seen a single Powell fan on these forums coach or player-bashing this season. What I have seen is a number of fans pointing out that this team has had more highs and lows this season than the stock market. I think we are just trying to be cautiously optimistic. Their record is right where most people thought it would be at this point. Look at the flip side. Halls fans had such high expectations in August, and now that reality has set in for the Red Devils, you'd think they were ready for a coup d'?©tat or something like that. Being cautiously optimistic helps in a scenario like that.

Just because Powell got over the hump against Anderson County doesn't automatically mean that they will rise above any remaining "mental blocks" this season. I hope that you are right when you say that the "hunger" has set in. Powell has not put together back-to-back strong performances this season. They had an opportunity to do it after torching Lenoir City, and they scratched one out against Karns. This Friday night is their golden opportunity. If they can put together back-to-back strong performances, I think there will be a lot more people who will acknowledge that this team has really turned the corner.

Kier is an excellent talent, and I've been saying that ever since I saw him against Campbell County last year. He is Powell's best player, and with that, the performance of the team is often directly related to his performance on the field. To my knowledge, I have not disrespected him or the Powell team at all, and if I have, I apologize. However, I'm not going to be "that guy" and get on these forums and talk about how Powell is going to put up 50 on Maryville, etc. I just try to be realistic in my posts. I am a die-hard Powell fan and alum, and I want them to succeed.

The key for this team has to be the offensive line. Like you said, Kier can't spend all night running for his life. If he has time to make his reads, Powell is a very dangerous team, and they will beat some very good teams if they can protect him.

Any word on the final score?

52-25 Powell, and it wasn't that close.

Kier Houston was 10-16 for 304 yards and 5 TD passes, and he ran for another TD.

The game wasn't over until 11:00 because there were two separate injuries in the first quarter - one to a Powell player and one to an official - that necessitated calling an ambulance. The first quarter alone took an hour and forty five mintues to play.

Well thanks again Clark Duncan for another wonderful homecoming at South Doyle. How much longer does Coach Hutchins get?? He's had five terrible years, and has shown no improvement. I have watched team after team play for this man and it's still the same old song and dance. Surely it can not continue to be blamed on the boys. He Coaches different boys nearly every year. The program at South Doyle is one of the worst around. I can not understand how Coach Hutchins still has a job. When is enough, enough.