Smith County comes to the Rockpile October 17 2008

Mr. Postman1

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The term "Rock Pile" came from the 70's when the field was pretty much dirt and small rocks. There was no practice field, so all practices, scrimmages, and games took place on the game field, not to mention pee-wee using the field as well. As you can imagine, the mound in the middle of the field became bare. Pretty much a pile of small rocks and dirt. After each practice and game you would have to dig gravel out of your elbows and knees. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

/roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

Our field in Carthage had the same name for years. I spent many study halls with a rake and bucket. One year our coach got tried of standing in water so he had "crush and run" gravel poured on the home sideline. It became an art to tackle out of bounds.

Big week. I'm glad lst week is over. SC will have to play very well to win this game, but the Owls are capable of leaving Motown with the W. How the Owls handle the pressure and the Eagles ability to do what they are good at will go a long way in determining the outcome of this one. Go Big Owls!!!!!!!!!

Big week. I'm glad lst week is over. SC will have to play very well to win this game, but the Owls are capable of leaving Motown with the W. How the Owls handle the pressure and the Eagles ability to do what they are good at will go a long way in determining the outcome of this one. Go Big Owls!!!!!!!!!

I agree, Go EAGLES! These two teams wont be in the same region next couple of years right? I wish the Coaches would make this game apart of their schedules.

Guest Termite

So............Oleskool went to the Doctor yesterday huh??? If you mess with me too much.....you see where I'll get..........

Does anyone think the week off helped or hurt either team??

A week off helps to catch your breath and heal some sore spots.

I do agree that there are a few teams that need to play each other no matter the region or district. TC/Westy/MC/G-Ville/and SC should all play each other every year.

Good gates and good fans (for the most part).

As for the rock pile. I don't remember a bunch of rocks on SC field but I do remember one huge rock on the home side hash mark about the 30-35 yard south end of the field. It was big as a #10 wash tub.

So............Oleskool went to the Doctor yesterday huh??? If you mess with me too much.....you see where I'll get..........

Does anyone think the week off helped or hurt either team??

A week off helps to catch your breath and heal some sore spots.

I do agree that there are a few teams that need to play each other no matter the region or district. TC/Westy/MC/G-Ville/and SC should all play each other every year.

Good gates and good fans (for the most part).

As for the rock pile. I don't remember a bunch of rocks on SC field but I do remember one huge rock on the home side hash mark about the 30-35 yard south end of the field. It was big as a #10 wash tub.

All joking aside, I think the bye week will both help and hurt. It is always a plus to have time for all the little nicks and dings to heal up from the week to week grind of a season. Also, each team has a full 2 weeks to prepapre for what they think the other is going to do. Having said that, the structure that the kids are used to has been disrupted. It takes a good coaching staff to keep the young men from being distracted from the task at hand. I look for something outside the normal from both teams as far as sets and plays. Sure, we will run the Wing-T, but I'll bet that both Kelley and Maynard have been working on stuff that will catch the opposing team off guard. This will definitely be a game worth watching.

It would definitely be a downer if these teams did not play each other the next few years. SC may not be our biggest rival, but you guys are right there at the top /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

All joking aside, I think the bye week will both help and hurt. It is always a plus to have time for all the little nicks and dings to heal up from the week to week grind of a season. Also, each team has a full 2 weeks to prepapre for what they think the other is going to do. Having said that, the structure that the kids are used to has been disrupted. It takes a good coaching staff to keep the young men from being distracted from the task at hand. I look for something outside the normal from both teams as far as sets and plays. Sure, we will run the Wing-T, but I'll bet that both Kelley and Maynard have been working on stuff that will catch the opposing team off guard. This will definitely be a game worth watching.

It would definitely be a downer if these teams did not play each other the next few years. SC may not be our biggest rival, but you guys are right there at the top /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Our district games will likely be Livingston...Macon...YAI...Upperman...Dekalb...Cannon. You know we will play Gordonsville and Trousdale. We will have 2 non-district games to fill. With the playoffs like they are going to be...do either of us want to play each other? That loss could be the difference between making the playoffs or not for either team. Or...do you want to play a good team for the added competition? It's a tough call.

I can see either side.

Our district games will likely be Livingston...Macon...YAI...Upperman...Dekalb...Cannon. You know we will play Gordonsville and Trousdale. We will have 2 non-district games to fill. With the playoffs like they are going to be...do either of us want to play each other? That loss could be the difference between making the playoffs or not for either team. Or...do you want to play a good team for the added competition? It's a tough call.

I can see either side.

That is a very interesting scenario. When you factor in that one of those non-region games needs to be a homecoming game, which is usually a lesser opponent, that leaves only one week to schedule for. I would tend to think that with both of our schedules getting tougher, it would be in the best interest of both parties to not play.

Guest Termite

That is a very interesting scenario. When you factor in that one of those non-region games needs to be a homecoming game, which is usually a lesser opponent, that leaves only one week to schedule for. I would tend to think that with both of our schedules getting tougher, it would be in the best interest of both parties to not play.

Like this year.....losing to TC could hurt come playoff time.

And with Westmoreland's schedule the next few years.....I'm not too sure they would want to play any games as tough as what will be on the schedule and in district anyway.

In this game Friday nite.... Wait and see, but there will be 3-4-5 plays that decide the game. Those plays may be for you, may be against you.

Last year 2-3 plays decided that game. Sounds like against DCA and CC ,Westy had 2-3 plays that decided those games.

SC -TC-York there were 3-4 plays in those games that were the difference.

It will be the same in this game. They may not seem to be big plays at the time , but by the time the game is over somebody is going to look back and say, that/those were the plays that made the difference.