Sevier Co. @ Dobyns-Bennett

You guys crack me up. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Really you do. This team just got smacked really hard by a decent (yes, I said decent) Campbell Co. team at home last week and you all are making it sound like Don "Air" Coryell and his '81 Chargers are coming to town. Bear Bryant would definitly be proud. By the way, if we are the best passing team that you face this year then condolences to your schedule.

These Bears are playing some really bad football right now. This game will be over by halftime and if its not, then I as a Tribe fan would be really concerned about my team advancing very far in the playoffs.

Obviously, "condolences" to DB is about all you said that is correct. Indians caught sleeping DB 2 SC 7. Open weeks are never good for DB. We look dead out there.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Final 22-14 DB. Rather lackluster performance by the O, which gained some yards but couldn't seem to string anything together, but the D played pretty well in only giving up the one TD playing prevent late in the 4th Q. Hard to say how much the O's problems were simply being rusty after the break, and how much may have been related to the two questionable calls in the first half which came close together. First an Indian jumped on the muffed punt in the endzone and the ref closest to the play signals TD, only to have a ref well away from the play come in and declare it a safety. Then after the Indians got the ball back and drove deep into SC territory Crawford gains good yardage around the end, hits the ground, and "fumbles," and a SC guy picks up the ball and lumbers all the way for a TD while everyone is standing around. So in very short order DB went from being up 7-0 and knocking on the door for more to being down 7-2 at halftime. I couldn't tell whether the DB player had possession on the recovery in the endzone, but the ref who changed the call was not in very good position to see what happened, and the second call on Crawford's fumble looked highly suspect to me (and the radio guys after the game said the film crew had already run it back and it was not a fumble). But anyway, a W is a W, and you gotta give SC some credit for hanging in there and playing pretty well on both sides of the ball. Indians are gonna have to play much more consistently to make noise in the postseason though.

That interception by Crawford was a thing of beauty. One of my fears has been that Crawford will get injured by being on the field too much. I did not like the fact that he was in there with the defense. But man, sure was a good thing he was. SC was about as shocked as we were on the so called fumble by DB earlier. It gave Crawford the extra second or two he needed to get around the end. SC gave us all we could handle.

It seems to me that every game the officials manage to take away a TD or give one to the other team.That call in the endzone was a fumble recovery.

Crawford's so called fumble,he was down and the whistle had blown.People standing around and a player picks up the ball and starts running with it.Pleeeeeese give us a break.Another 5 official nite goes bad again. Give the Smokey Bears credit they came ready to play.DB looked sluggish on offense afer a week off.Defense had another good nite.Sensabaugh was great. The Bears got to where they didn't want to tackle him anymore.He ran the ball hard.

I personally felt that Tyler Thomas should had been ejected for his cheap(in the back) shot on Will Bateman during Crawford's interception runback.That's my personal opinion.Coach Brewer should have sat his butt out. That was definitely bush league. A win is a win and we will take it. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Im going to call a spade a spade. Yeah a win is a win but this was ugly. This team continues to slide. Ever since the start of the second half in the Oak Ridge game the Indians have not played anywhere near what their capable of. I actually think tonights game was the worst by a DB team in the past 5 years. I left with about 30 seconds left....does anyone know if the offensive line ever showed up? They got steam rolled! Hey maybe Sensabaugh could of put the game out of reach early if he hadn't had three defensive players around his neck before he came out of his stance. Good Grief! Just before halftime DB started throwing in their 2 minute offense, moved all the way to about the 20 with a first down and ended up all the way back across midfield as time ran out. I can't figure out how you can screw up that bad. The defense played great in the first half but looked silly in the second half. If Sevier County hadn't fumbled at the three yard line we very well might be looking at a loss tonight.

Something I noticed in the Jefferson Co. game and again tonight was the blocking, both by the line and down field was very poor. DB did get cheated on 2 touchdowns. The botched punt in the endzone by Sevier Co. was recovered by DB for a touchdown and signaled a touchdown by the ref standing right on top of the play. And what nobody is mentioning was bothe teams were already lined up for the extra point attempt when a ref blew the whistle and changed the call. I can't remember ever seeing a change in a call coming that late in a high school game. Maybe he was holding out for more money. The second one came on Crawford's "fumble" that was not a fumble, unless they have changed the rule that the ground can cause a fumble. He should of been called down. Still DB played terrible in this game and those two blown calls don't make the Indians look any better. Crawford, Sensabaugh, Adams, Fleming, and Steal (at times) playd well. Not to take anything away from Sevier Co., but remember this is a team thats probably not even going to make the playoffs.

for the record, i was standing near the endzone for the Safety/ no call TD. Definitely a safety. half the pile was out of the endzone by the time the ball was "recovered"...

I can't argue with that. I was all the way up near the pressbox and didn't have as good a few as you did. The problem I have is how does a ref standing 2 feet away from the ball signal a touchdown then both teams have lined up for the extra point atempt, all the refs are in position then a ref blows his whistle stoping play and reverses the call. The band even played the entire school song, and none of the refs had indicated there was a problem with the call. There was not a huddle by the refs before that whistle. It didn't have an impact on the outcome of the game but I don't think I,ve ever seen that before.

I'm puzzled. It seems like every year, rather than get better as the season goes along, DB gets more inconsistent and starts sputtering, primarily on the offensive side of the ball. I understand these are high school kids and every game is an adventure, but I don't understand why this seems to happen every year. How can a team play much better on O in game 2 or 3 than in game 8 or 9? No doubt some of it is execution, but I also think a good bit of it is the playcalling. Teams know our tendencies later in the season and look for them, and I'm not sure we do such a good job of mixing things up. Last night, it seemed like SC loaded the box early, and while Chris had a few good runs, most of the time as Waco said he was getting hit in the backfield. And then every time we tried to throw, it seemed like Jamie had two guys all over him immediately. I couldn't tell whether they were guessing right and blitzing, or whether our O lineman were getting whipped that badly, but my personal opinion is we need to run more draws and screens. And little flares to the RBs like the 2 throws to Lawson that worked great in two key situations. We used to throw a nice middle screen to Chris last year but I don't remember seeing it this year (maybe once at Betsy?). Anyway, it seems like if we're in a do or die situation and absolutely have to have a play we're good at coming up with the right call (e.g. the throws to the FB), but the general gameplan is bogged down in toss sweep to Chris/Chris up the middle, and teams are keying on him bigtime now. I think we need to start throwing early and often (Jamie is a much better passer than I thought entering the season, 25 is a mismatch on anyone he lines up against, and 3 isn't bad either), and then come back with Chris. IOW use the pass to set up the run rather than plan to give Chris the ball 35 times and only throw if we have to. BTW what happened to the slants to 25 across the middle that have been so successful all year? That's a TD waiting to happen every time, and at worst usually a 7-8 yard gain.

/ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> a

I'm puzzled. It seems like every year, rather than get better as the season goes along, DB gets more inconsistent and starts sputtering, primarily on the offensive side of the ball. I understand these are high school kids and every game is an adventure, but I don't understand why this seems to happen every year. How can a team play much better on O in game 2 or 3 than in game 8 or 9? No doubt some of it is execution, but I also think a good bit of it is the playcalling. Teams know our tendencies later in the season and look for them, and I'm not sure we do such a good job of mixing things up. Last night, it seemed like SC loaded the box early, and while Chris had a few good runs, most of the time as Waco said he was getting hit in the backfield. And then every time we tried to throw, it seemed like Jamie had two guys all over him immediately. I couldn't tell whether they were guessing right and blitzing, or whether our O lineman were getting whipped that badly, but my personal opinion is we need to run more draws and screens. And little flares to the RBs like the 2 throws to Lawson that worked great in two key situations. We used to throw a nice middle screen to Chris last year but I don't remember seeing it this year (maybe once at Betsy?). Anyway, it seems like if we're in a do or die situation and absolutely have to have a play we're good at coming up with the right call (e.g. the throws to the FB), but the general gameplan is bogged down in toss sweep to Chris/Chris up the middle, and teams are keying on him bigtime now. I think we need to start throwing early and often (Jamie is a much better passer than I thought entering the season, 25 is a mismatch on anyone he lines up against, and 3 isn't bad either), and then come back with Chris. IOW use the pass to set up the run rather than plan to give Chris the ball 35 times and only throw if we have to.

Good post.I said all along that u don't need 100 plays to play football.Change the ones that work up alittle.Remember we are swapping game films with teams,so they know what u are capable of in certain formations.Sensabaugh definitely got a workout last nite,what an athlete he is.If u notice on the Kpt. sports page the official in the white hat (the crew boss) is signaling touchdown.He is overruled by a line judge who also ruled a fumble caused by the ground after a whistle a td also.