Sevier Co. @ Dobyns-Bennett

Well, congratulations Tribe in spite of the issues. 7 down 3 to go. Rebel Nation

Comp, you and a few others from the South side I think has labeled the Indians as "special' this year. I can remember some of the others saying this might be the year for DB etc. Last years team started out slow and got much better as the season went along, this years team started out good and has got worse as the season progresses. There's almost no comparason to the first three games. Campbell Co. put up 48 points and almost 500 yrds. russhing on Sevier Co. Our Offensive line got whiped all night last night and what we gained on the ground was all a special effort by Sensabaugh. I didn't see a desent block at the line or downfield all night.

This is not a playoff team right now nor do I see us beating Campbell Co. or Science Hill. Knox Karns can go either way. DB has strugled to beat weak teams. Thats a bad sign. This is definatly not "the year"

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not a playoff team right now nor do I see us beating Campbell Co. or Science Hill. Knox Karns can go either way. DB has strugled to beat weak teams. Thats a bad sign. This is definatly not "the year"

I hate to say it but this is exactly what I have been thinking. Injured players may be partially to blame but there is obviously more going on here. And it is the coach's job to correct the problem. At this point, unless there is a change of some sort in how the offense operates, you are probably 100% correct. But don't lay it all at the offense's feet. The defense did some serious slacking after getting 2 TDs ahead - as usual.

shutup Waco i mean really. Im not saying this is the year or anything, but we are not in as bad of shape as you think we are. Sevier County played their hearts out and played their best game of the year, While DB still has some key injuries and coming off a bye week managed to hold strong in a close game, and thats what we needed a close game like that to get us ready for the playoffs, blowing teams out every week doesnt help you get better. Our O-line has talent but are young and it shows at times. If u ask me our Offense struggles at times because GC is getting out coached and thats a fact! SC knew what we would do on 1st and 2nd down stack the box then force a 3rd and long and drop 7 guys back in converage. GC if ur reading this we have the talent on offense to put up 40 points a game, you just have to mix in rollouts, screens, more bootlegs, make teams overpursue with counters, some work still needs to be done because the coaches for the other teams know GC's tendicies and its killing our offense right now.

Tribal - WacoJaco True the game was not one of the Tribes best, but they beat a region rival 22 -14. Have ether of you taken the time to watch how busy the trainer is during the games lately. This team is banged up. WacoJaco in your previous posts you were lamenting the loss of starters, ???In most cases if you have problems in your secondary it takes a mamouth effort to fix. In DB's case losing your best player in a secondary that already has problems is a very bad sign??? yet they still out lasted a hard fighting SC team and won. Just as you predicted WacoJaco. ???The only way DB wins is by running the ball and controling the clock. DB ??“ 24 SC ??“ 21??? By the way, Carter??™s loss was evident on the line last night as well.

I would like to take a shot at answering some of your questions and commenting on some of your statements, like:

???does anyone know if the offensive line ever showed up????

Obviously they did not have their best game, but when the game was on the LINE they bowed their necks and the O had a clock controlling 97 yard TD drive in the 4th quarter. You can not do that without a dominate O line.

???Anyway, it seems like if we're in a do or die situation and absolutely have to have a play we're good at coming up with the right call (e.g. the throws to the FB)???

You know, at most schools the call that great coaching.

???the general gameplan is bogged down in toss sweep to Chris/Chris up the middle??? and ???I also think a good bit of it is the playcalling. Teams know our tendencies later in the season and look for them, and I'm not sure we do such a good job of mixing things up. Last night, it seemed like SC loaded the box early, and while Chris had a few good runs???

Yea, the sophomore with the brace on his arm only averaged 6.2 yards per carry against SC. (also see ???does anyone know if the offensive line ever showed up? and ???The only way DB wins is by running the ball and controling the clock.???)

Guys (or girls), what usually happens in a game when an offensive team averages 6.2 yards per play? They WIN! They don??™t score 50 points but they win.

???BTW what happened to the slants to 25 across the middle that have been so successful all year????

Yea, 25 only caught one slant for a TD last night.

Guys (or girls), you seem to support the team, but please quit being so critical of a bunch of banged up 16 and 17 year old kids giving their all for DB. Questioning coaching is part of the game we all do it, just stop taking examples of good coaching and portraying it as bad.

Your right, Im Wrong. DB looked ok last night because we have some guys banged up. That always makes the other starters look bad. Sevier County, Jefferson County, Elizabethton, their all very good teams. They all might make the playoffs this year with some major luck. I was just kidding about our offensive line. I saw them out there. They did a good job. The defense did a great job also, especially in the second half. All is well. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Tribal - WacoJaco True the game was not one of the Tribes best, but they beat a region rival 22 -14. Have ether of you taken the time to watch how busy the trainer is during the games lately. This team is banged up. WacoJaco in your previous posts you were lamenting the loss of starters, ???In most cases if you have problems in your secondary it takes a mamouth effort to fix. In DB's case losing your best player in a secondary that already has problems is a very bad sign??? yet they still out lasted a hard fighting SC team and won. Just as you predicted WacoJaco. ???The only way DB wins is by running the ball and controling the clock. DB ??“ 24 SC ??“ 21??? By the way, Carter??™s loss was evident on the line last night as well.

I would like to take a shot at answering some of your questions and commenting on some of your statements, like:

???does anyone know if the offensive line ever showed up????

Obviously they did not have their best game, but when the game was on the LINE they bowed their necks and the O had a clock controlling 97 yard TD drive in the 4th quarter. You can not do that without a dominate O line.

???Anyway, it seems like if we're in a do or die situation and absolutely have to have a play we're good at coming up with the right call (e.g. the throws to the FB)???

You know, at most schools the call that great coaching.

???the general gameplan is bogged down in toss sweep to Chris/Chris up the middle??? and ???I also think a good bit of it is the playcalling. Teams know our tendencies later in the season and look for them, and I'm not sure we do such a good job of mixing things up. Last night, it seemed like SC loaded the box early, and while Chris had a few good runs???

Yea, the sophomore with the brace on his arm only averaged 6.2 yards per carry against SC. (also see ???does anyone know if the offensive line ever showed up? and ???The only way DB wins is by running the ball and controling the clock.???)

Guys (or girls), what usually happens in a game when an offensive team averages 6.2 yards per play? They WIN! They don??™t score 50 points but they win.

???BTW what happened to the slants to 25 across the middle that have been so successful all year????

Yea, 25 only caught one slant for a TD last night.

Guys (or girls), you seem to support the team, but please quit being so critical of a bunch of banged up 16 and 17 year old kids giving their all for DB. Questioning coaching is part of the game we all do it, just stop taking examples of good coaching and portraying it as bad.

I'm not surprised Waco responded to this with sarcasm, because you're kind of all over the place here, but the gist of it is "we won be happy we have a bunch of banged up kids and who are you to criticize them." But let me try to clarify a few things.

I was not being critical of any of the kids, banged up or otherwise; I was being critical of our playcalling at times, and specifically with what I think is at this point an obvious decision to ride Chris like a rented mule unless we're forced to throw. I think this is a disservice to Chris and the team, because the word is out and teams will continue to stack the box until we start being more balanced--not late in the game when we're behind or barely ahead, but early and otherwise. My point in a nutshell is that we have an excellent passing attack, and we ought to use it and be more balanced. This will have the effect of making our offense much harder to stop, making our great weapon in Chris much more effective, and keeping Chris from being ground down to a nub by playoff time (if he's not injured again by that point). According to the paper, last night we had 41 running plays and 14 passes--that's not balanced. And I'm not beating this drum to promote balance for the sake of balance; the goal of an offense is to be effective and most importantly, SCORE. The O last night was not very effective and didn't score until the second half (and then only scored twice). Average yards per carry (which can be overrated anyway) is meaningless if the offense doesn't put points on the board.

I'm happy to give GC much credit; his record speaks for itself. I specifically mentioned the two throws to Lawson as examples of great calls (and I'm not sure why you felt the need to point out that was great coaching--DUH? Who did you think I was complimenting?). And they would remain great calls if Lawson had dropped the ball or Jamie overthrew him; a great call isn't defined by its success or failure. But GC isn't infallible, and I'm certainly not the first to question the playcalling over the years. I'm sure he goes back and evaluates things himself after every game and is critical too. I just don't understand why he seems to have an either/or approach a lot of the time. When Duran was QB it was run-and-shoot, shotgun and start throwing as soon as the kids got off the bus. Now, it appears he's decided that this team will live or die with 32 carrying the ball 30+ times a game. I think that's misguided, and I think that was evident in the games Chris missed where we were forced to be more balanced. I'm not saying we need to be 50/50, but 60/40 in favor of the run would be nice. 75/25 isn't going to work in the playoffs, and you can take that to the bank.

As for Waco's allegations about the blocking, I can't say. I was following the ball most of the time and couldn't tell whether the problems were too many of them and not enough of us (i.e., stacking the box on 1st and 2nd down and blitzing on the pass attempts), or breakdowns in execution. As Fulmer would say, I'll have to see the film. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> But mainly I'm frustrated because I don't share Waco's apparent belief that we don't have the talent to possibly do some real damage in the playoffs. I think we do, but we've got to be more balanced on offense, and of course execute (and yes, getting healthy and getting 2 back out there will help too).

My perspective with last nights game were as follws: We give way to much cushion on defense with our corners. 15 yards from the receiver on every play is rediculous. On one particular play i saw the cushion and said out loud, all they (SC) have to do is through the slant to the slot receiver. And they did for a huge gane. If its that clear to me why did our coaches not do anything to correct the problem? I am as big a fan as DB has but i am very concerned about the coaches again. I sat there last night and was so disappointed in the lack of drive we showed and with the coaches. The bright points with the coaches last night were the passes to the fullback-great calls GC. I hope we can remember this later on down the road. We need to start playing our great players on both sides of the ball. I think we can rotate Sensabaugh and Crawford at safety and also work in Ashlon at corner instead of tight end. We need to get our players motivated. Game after game after game we just go through the motions. Guys, lets get fired up please... And im going to say it again,that stupid quarter back sneak call needs to be thrown out of the book. It has been useless except to get out qb hurt.Last night i think he made a couple yards on that play,but every other time this year we have lost yardage and could get our qb get hurt. We are going to have to get tough or we are going to get beat in the playoffs again............Great game as usual Chris. Come on offensive line get with it we need to block a whole lot better.,show some pride.Our coaches need to challenge the team and show in the last 3 weeks what we are made of..ROLL TRIBE ROLL

What is going on with DB. I just got on line here to see how everybody did last night and I have read some of your message. Don't sound to good. You have to remember one thing about high school football that they are only young men playing the game. I love to watch high school football. Last night I went to watch Farragut play Bradley County and the looked like the old Farragut team the first three weeks of the season. The McMinn County and William Blount. The offense forgot to show up for the McMinn game but still found away to win and the William Blount game the whole team forgot to show up in the game till the second half, but that what makes it so exciting with high school football. I know I am going to next a smart commit back from this but don't sweat the small stuff you are what 6-0 that really good right now. Good luck to you guys the rest of the season.