Halls@Powell

PhatCat

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Powell had better be ready for this one. Halls should not be overlooked.

This one is huge!

GO PANTHERS!

i really look forward to seeing the outcome of this game. halls is better than their record suggests, and powell seems to be really hitting their stride. i think if halls can stop the big play, this could be a REALLY good game. however, if halls gives up huge plays like they did against clinton, this game may not be close...

i really look forward to seeing the outcome of this game. halls is better than their record suggests, and powell seems to be really hitting their stride. i think if halls can stop the big play, this could be a REALLY good game. however, if halls gives up huge plays like they did against clinton, this game may not be close...

History says that this game will be close. Over the last 20 meetings the game has only been decided by double digits a couple of times. I'd be shocked if the game isn't close again this year. Halls is much better than their record indicates, and while Powell is getting better by the week, they still aren't good enough to play anything less than their best and expect to beat a quality football team like Halls.

It should be another classic Battle of Emory Road. I suggest folks get there early if they want a seat.

More on the line for Halls than Powell could that be the difference. It could be if Powell overlooks the Big Red this week. No disgrace losing to the Dragons last week they are the real deal this year. I agree with HTV always a close game I can't see it being any different this year. Halls just needs to find a way to win a close one. I am still optimistic and hope we get off the snide. Tough year for Coach J. & staff lacking the offensive weapons he has had in prior years to make that special play or game changing score so far this campaign. I hope we find that ingredient this week. Good luck Big Red practice hard.

Nice to see former Panther Watts having a big game for EKU this weekend.

More on the line for Halls than Powell could that be the difference. It could be if Powell overlooks the Big Red this week. No disgrace losing to the Dragons last week they are the real deal this year. I agree with HTV always a close game I can't see it being any different this year. Halls just needs to find a way to win a close one. I am still optimistic and hope we get off the snide. Tough year for Coach J. & staff lacking the offensive weapons he has had in prior years to make that special play or game changing score so far this campaign. I hope we find that ingredient this week. Good luck Big Red practice hard.

Nice to see former Panther Watts having a big game for EKU this weekend.

Honestly, I don't see Powell overlooking Halls. It's such a huge rivarly that the players know what is on the line, and I promise you that Matt Lowe knows what is on the line. He's been through way too many Halls/Powell games as both a player and a coach to believe otherwise.

Coach Julian is a very good football coach, and an even better person. The Halls community is fortunate to have him leading the young men in the football program. They couldn't have a better role model.

Cody is having a good year. His move to WR was a great one. I'm glad he got some quarterback snaps last night, as well. EKU is going to have a decision to make next year, with the starting QB being a senior, whether to move Cody back to QB full time or keep him at WR if they have another QB option. Either way, Cody has done well for himself.

Logan O'Conner looks to be having a good year for EKU, as well.

Now that the season is at it's mid-point, I would like to share a few thoughts on the Halls program, from the perspective of someone who has seen a lot of HS football, in a lot of places, not just East Tennessee.

Halls is a great community with great potential for young men who choose to participate in HS football. As a parent, Coach Julian is everything I could hope for in a high school football coach; he understands the game and understands young men. He is an excellent role model. The defense (this year) is capable of taking this team into the playoffs, but as much as I love and respect the young men on the team, love their parents, and maintain an optimistic attitude, this team lacks a real playmaker on offense. That's not a knock on anyone in particular, just my subjective and amateur observation. That said, I see some real potential playmakers in some of the underclassmen on the offensive side of the ball. I maintain a healthy optimism about the program as it's made great strides in the past year. The new facility is obviously at the fore-front of the program progress; but there's also been great strides in parental involvement. The concession stand is simply outstanding! Thanks to Mr Robert Spires for his leadership and volunteerism there.

I feel obliged to share a negative or two as well. There are a handful of parents who are allowing themselves to cross the line from being simply "involved" to attempting to influence the program to satisfy their personal desires. I can't think of a nicer way to say what I just said, so please, if the shoe fits, wear it in the manner in which it was intended. Let's just say that parents saying negative things about players (for whatever reason; true or untrue) is regretable at best and just downright cowardly to be frank. I have spoken with Coach Julian regarding this (without mentioning any names) and he told me that there are always parents who gripe when the team loses and that he's not hearing complaints from any parents directly. He did say one parent sent him a letter? He also reminded me to pass on (to whomever it may concern) that he has an open door policy and would be receptive to ANY comments, from ANY parents, at ANY time.

I interpeted this as Kevin saying... "they can say it to my face or I could care less".

As a parent, I prefer to look at it as, if you don't like it, LEAVE. The program doesn't need you.

Finally, again as a parent, my sons play HS football for the great life lessons they learn, that can't be learned in the classroom. I could care less if my boys EVER start and would much prefer an 0-10 program where the kids play with heart, play together, and learn what teamwork is all about. Everyone has a right to their own opinion on these matters, but if you disagree, at least avoid using the old Vince Lombardi cliche' with me; as I have his book and it's even signed by his late wife and ex Redskins QB Sonny Jugenson. I know about winning... ...and Vince Lombardi was wrong; despite the cool quote.

I love winning as much as the next guy, but if you want to see someone's true character, I will repeat something my late-father told me growing up...

Ones true character comes out when the chips are down.

I thank God for revealing more to both me and my sons this season; and the season isn't over yet.

Thanks Coach Julian and staff!

Now let's get after it and beat Powell fellas!

I'm going to paraphrase some old maxims of football:

1. The team that makes the fewest mistakes will win (3 Turnovers = 21 points against Clinton, 1 turnover against Bearden = 7 points)

Note - two TO's lead to TD's on the next play, 1 was two plays later

2. Press the kicking game, for here is were the breaks are made -(Bearden 80 yard punt return)

- I'm going to ruffle some feathers, but I thought Coach Williams called a pretty dag gum ball game Friday night. As good as Clinton played, without the turnovers we probably win the football game! Offense palyed well.

- I saw signs this team is getting better, but also saw some "quit" when things went bad. Saw a fresh #6 in the third quarter, and he didn't disappoint. Keeping him healthy and fresh will pay dividends.

My advice to the Halls players, quit crying in your milk and grow up!! It's time to toughen up. Quit pointing at everyone and everything, and turn that finger to yourself. Come out mean and nasty, don't guit, and I believe you can win!

- Again, I said I'm going to take Halls in this one. Any one who has read my posts knows this doesn't happen often. I saw some positives against Clinton. Eliminate the turnovers, press the kicking game, and don't give up after the big plays when they happen (Powell will get some!)

Now that the season is at it's mid-point, I would like to share a few thoughts on the Halls program, from the perspective of someone who has seen a lot of HS football, in a lot of places, not just East Tennessee.

Halls is a great community with great potential for young men who choose to participate in HS football. As a parent, Coach Julian is everything I could hope for in a high school football coach; he understands the game and understands young men. He is an excellent role model. The defense (this year) is capable of taking this team into the playoffs, but as much as I love and respect the young men on the team, love their parents, and maintain an optimistic attitude, this team lacks a real playmaker on offense. That's not a knock on anyone in particular, just my subjective and amateur observation. That said, I see some real potential playmakers in some of the underclassmen on the offensive side of the ball. I maintain a healthy optimism about the program as it's made great strides in the past year. The new facility is obviously at the fore-front of the program progress; but there's also been great strides in parental involvement. The concession stand is simply outstanding! Thanks to Mr Robert Spires for his leadership and volunteerism there.

I feel obliged to share a negative or two as well. There are a handful of parents who are allowing themselves to cross the line from being simply "involved" to attempting to influence the program to satisfy their personal desires. I can't think of a nicer way to say what I just said, so please, if the shoe fits, wear it in the manner in which it was intended. Let's just say that parents saying negative things about players (for whatever reason; true or untrue) is regretable at best and just downright cowardly to be frank. I have spoken with Coach Julian regarding this (without mentioning any names) and he told me that there are always parents who gripe when the team loses and that he's not hearing complaints from any parents directly. He did say one parent sent him a letter? He also reminded me to pass on (to whomever it may concern) that he has an open door policy and would be receptive to ANY comments, from ANY parents, at ANY time.

I interpeted this as Kevin saying... "they can say it to my face or I could care less".

As a parent, I prefer to look at it as, if you don't like it, LEAVE. The program doesn't need you.

Finally, again as a parent, my sons play HS football for the great life lessons they learn, that can't be learned in the classroom. I could care less if my boys EVER start and would much prefer an 0-10 program where the kids play with heart, play together, and learn what teamwork is all about. Everyone has a right to their own opinion on these matters, but if you disagree, at least avoid using the old Vince Lombardi cliche' with me; as I have his book and it's even signed by his late wife and ex Redskins QB Sonny Jugenson. I know about winning... ...and Vince Lombardi was wrong; despite the cool quote.

I love winning as much as the next guy, but if you want to see someone's true character, I will repeat something my late-father told me growing up...

Ones true character comes out when the chips are down.

I thank God for revealing more to both me and my sons this season; and the season isn't over yet.

Thanks Coach Julian and staff!

Now let's get after it and beat Powell fellas!

Outstanding. Gives us all a reality check.

Powerful message at such a pivotal time.

1st- Bitter at all, gee take a break and look your post and tell me you're not bitter

2nd- and do it.

3rd- You say ironman80too is hiding, what do you call what you are doing?

4th- Your repeated attacks on Coach Williams is uncalled for. Maybe he is not the best OC in the world, but I am sure he is trying his best. And I am pretty sure how tall you are does not determine what plays you call so you bringing up the fact that he is on the short side has no relevence at all.

5th- The way you represent the Halls community and the Halls program on this website with your posts, people will take him over you anyday.