Halls@Powell

PhatCat

Zcar -

- Excellent point about McGill!! I felt, like you. his abilities wer what this team needed. I've said so early. I wish we could go back and see what it wouldv'e been like withtwo seniors in the backfield to start the season. More holes hit, more blocks made, more toughness in the fourth quarter. I talk to felt this year was used to build for the future (that's the answer I get when I ask about McGill).

- I asked someone "close" to the coaching staff (not a coach) about why we continue to try to get wide ("jet") vs. last year' inside the ends ("buck"). The answer I got startled me! Without hesitation he said we "didn't have the speed at runningback last year that we do this year". I must be an idiot because I don't think our new running back looks to be near the same speed as Kitts (I know, most of you think I'm an idiot anyway)

Unbelievable I think I heard and I may be wrong Kitts was the fastest player on our team last year and if he wasn't and was second to Dayton he was still by far the fastest running back. Nobody doubts his quick burst to the line you don't mount up 1600 yards on being slow. McGill has that similar look when he carries the ball this omission by the RB coach just didn't make much sense and especially since we loose one of the most dominant OL unit we have had in some time. I don't think your a idiot and I'm not the only one in your camp. Nobody really believes next year will be any better in fact with the talent lost from this year we could have a bigger drop off than we had last year. Not a good warm fuzzy feeling to have at this moment. Maybe I am not seeing the total picture but I have a couple of other issues that trouble me and until I see improvement there we will never be more than average.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ironman and zcar,

I also have noticed no Halls players in the stats picture. I dont know if its our lack of production or the stats person. Someone stated on another thread we didnt let the kids watch the film unless they watched it with an assistant coach, well maybe we are not sending in stats as we should. Just a thought not cuttin anybody down...yet.

Great article in the paper about our backup lineman Ryan Smith. A future Denny Crane.

Devilsden, I didn't see any D stats at all. No receiver which thats understandable. Turner about #50 as a QB passing. O'laughlin #24 Waggy #31 running the ball after seven games. Strange numbers for this year on the O side of the ball.

Alright I'm getting pumped again. Halls stops the bleeding and wins by a touch tonight.

Good luck Big Red!

Congratulations to Powell! Typical Halls - Powell game.

A few comments:

- The better team won tonight. Not to say Halls couldn't have won, but Powell was the better team tonight. Take away Powell's fumbled punt, and # 3's seventy - plus yard run and this game isn't close. (not to mention many dropped passes that were wide open)

- It was odd to see this game come down to field position. Halls just could not turn the field over in the fourth quarter. Powell's punter get's my nod for player of the game (besides the obvious Houston). Two punts downed on the one yard line was the difference in my opinion.

- Good news - I think we found out who our next Kitts is going to be!! Did you see the speed on Gibson's run?? What an asset he will be next year. Look for he him to shine next year if he gets some carries!!

- That is probably the most frustrating part of the season, not having a back with his speed on the field (no knock on Waggoner, he plays his heart out. Tough break on the fumble, many thought he was down. I thought it was a fumble.)

- Time for the boys to stink it up, go out with some wins. The next two games will not be easy!

Congratulations to Powell! Typical Halls - Powell game.

A few comments:

- The better team won tonight. Not to say Halls couldn't have won, but Powell was the better team tonight. Take away Powell's fumbled punt, and # 3's seventy - plus yard run and this game isn't close. (not to mention many dropped passes that were wide open)

- It was odd to see this game come down to field position. Halls just could not turn the field over in the fourth quarter. Powell's punter get's my nod for player of the game (besides the obvious Houston). Two punts downed on the one yard line was the difference in my opinion.

- Good news - I think we found out who our next Kitts is going to be!! Did you see the speed on Gibson's run?? What an asset he will be next year. Look for he him to shine next year if he gets some carries!!

- That is probably the most frustrating part of the season, not having a back with his speed on the field (no knock on Waggoner, he plays his heart out. Tough break on the fumble, many thought he was down. I thought it was a fumble.)

- Time for the boys to stink it up, go out with some wins. The next two games will not be easy!

This really was a great game, and a gutty performance by both teams. A well played game by both teams.

Powell's punter really came through in the 4th quarter. I was afraid that this game would come down to a kick of some kind, which gave Halls a huge advantage. Somehow, their lack of a place kicker never came back to bite the Panthers in the behind.

Halls needs to get Gibson in the backfield more often! He was the only running back for Halls that had the ability to get to the corner and outrun the linebackers/DBs to the sidelines. I know he is young, but Halls does not appear to have another back with that kind of speed.

Powell receivers dropped a number of passes (2 deep balls dropped on their first drive, either would have been TDs).

As long as defenses are willing to stack 9 defenders up front, I don't see Halls moving the ball with any kind of consistency. They have to come up with a passing threat of some kind.

Halls did an excellent job in the second half "spying" on Kier Houston. He ran wild on the defense in the first half, but the coaches made a great adjustment in the second half. He clearly was frustrated by that, and he throw some errant passes because of it. Unfortunately, that strategy really hurt Halls on Powell's game-winning drive; the middle of the field was wide open for a slot receiver/tight end to run free, which set up Powell inside the Halls 30.