Halls@Powell

PhatCat

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We just haven't run the ball good enough to win games. We have been in every game but against the better teams with having to play a lot of two way players we seem to fade in the fourth quarter. Nothing the coaches can do about that. They must feel the subs may not be ready at the moment to give our first teamers a blow every so often. The matchups against teams like we saw with Clinton with the speed they have could be critical if a inexperience player was to go the wrong way or play to far off his marker.

I haven't been to any practices this year so I don't know how much emphasis they are putting on the passing game. We seem to not have the right tools to make it work at the moment. Although, the Bearden game was closer due to us airing it out a little. We may have had our most productive game in the air that night I'll have to check. If I'm thinking correctly we had somewere in the neighborhood of 140 yards so we have the ability if the need arises.

We have had a lot of experience on this team so it must mean either execution is not up to par like Ironman said or the opportunities to make that big play hasn't materialised as in years past. Whatever it is, It will all go away if we beat the Panthers this Friday so lets get behind the team. We still have a chance for the playoffs. Go Big Red.

Why cant you put a couple of subs in early in the game (first half) to give the guys a break? When you get late in the game the starters have just got to stink it up and go.

A backup going the wrong way or playing to far off his marker...that's what got us beat by Clitnon with our starters.

Lets get back to punishing people with the run and throwin when we can and not when we have to and the whole stands knows when we are going to throwing. Shoot put in the back up QB and let himn have his shot and then you got Turner on Defence.

baseballmad and ironman,

If we are spending more time on the pass game and not as much on the run game, whose choice is it to change what you are doing? Doesnt it go to the person running the offense?

Ultimately, it is the head coach who would make that call. But generally speaking, a passing play is harder to execute than a running play, therefore, if we're going to even going to be able to run the "simple" passes that people have talked about, they'll need to be practiced more. I used simple in quotation marks because from the games that I've been to in the last few years, the Halls passing attack is about as simple as it gets already.

baseballmad and ironman,

If we are spending more time on the pass game and not as much on the run game, whose choice is it to change what you are doing? Doesnt it go to the person running the offense?

How hard can it be. We are very simple in approach. I see only three or four passing plays and most of those are to the RB out of the backfield or to the tight-end. If you are a wide receiver at Halls you better be a good blocker because 99% of the time thats what you will be called on to do.

Powell beat Anderson County, Anderson County beat Clinton, Clinton beat Halls. Things look tough for the good guys. Questions:

- How is Powell's team speed? How many "big" plays have their offense had this year (over 50 yards)? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Halls has zero.

- How does Powell look in the turnover ratio? Again, not to good for Halls. Penalties??

- I think these will be critical areas. Could someone close to the Powell program help us out?

Technical question - Why have we shifted from the old "buck" play (sweep) to the "jet" play?? My understanding is that the "buck" had a lineman in front, RB turns up inside the end (quick). The "jet" tries to outrun people to the sideline, no lineman to lead. Maybe someone who konws more than I can explain. Just wonder if we are really trying to get outside more this year?? (Not near the speed this year compared to other teams we play)

- I hear the coaches are working really hard, and the players are buying into more "team" concept. That's good to hear. As always, go Halls! I believe the Red Devils will pull out the big upset, maybe even shock the world!

Everyone seems to think that Halls has to pass "more" to win. With that in mind, consider this:

- After 7 ballgames, if you count the yardage we lose on a sack against the passing statistics, we have negative yardage pasing. NEGATIVE YARDAGE!!

- In the last two ballgames, INT's gave oppenents easy TD's that made a HUGE inpact on the outcome.

- When I have visited practice, the first thing I notice is how little time is spent in "group" on running plays and how much time is spent on passing plays.

- The running game is not clicking on all cylinders, and the passing game continues to struugle.When we analyze the risk/benefit, is it better to spend all this time on these pass plays at the expense of missed blocks, fumbles, missed holes, etc. ?

- In the two victories, we avg. 3 pass attempts per game. In the 5 losses, we have avg. 12. More pass attempts = a loss.

- What am I saying? This offense needs to get better at runnng the ball!! It still can improve, but in order to win we can't continue to have lineman miss blocks, RB's miss blocks and holes, and fumbles/penalties. Our best chance of winning is to get back to running the ball well!!

- What about passes? I suggested a long time ago passes on 2nd down, and passes downfield. Eliminate 75% of the passes we practice, identify which plays we can actually get off, and call some "safe" passes. About 7 - 10 passes, with a GOOD running game (not what we've had lately), and we have a chance to win.

- Coaches are coaching hard, players ae trying hard. Something is missing. Hopefully we can figure out what to change (no change = 2-6)

Ironman

You know I think very highly of you so please take this as simply a different opinion, not anything personal.

First off, I don't disagree with everything you say here, in fact, I agree with more of it than I disagree with, but consider this...

The 2 teams we beat were not very good teams. I submit we beat them (despite almost purely running) because we were so much better than them on the line of scrimmage that they couldn't stop our run even when they stacked the box with 8 or 9 defenders.

To beat the better teams, we have to be able to pass the ball.

We must establish a legitimate passing threat, regardless if the Wing-T is a run oriented offense or not.

Also, think about this...

Perhaps we passed more against the teams we lost to because we were behind in those games and had to pass to catch up?

I think our problems in the passing game have much more to do with timing than talent. Only practice can fix that.

I've never seen a state championship HS team ANYWHERE that only passes 3 times per game.

We will not beat Powell if we only pass 3 times.

Ironman I know it's small consolation but we did have one burst of 55 yards on a short pass to Fitzpatrick against Gibbs.

I'm not totally convinced Powell can stop our running game but on the other hand I see our secondary having a difficult time stopping Powell's wideouts.

What I have watched this year and somebody pointed it out earlier the burst of speed seems non-existent by our skill players. The blocking seems fine but it takes us a age and a day to hit the line of scrimmage which seems to be giving the other teams backers time to close the gaps. If Coach Ward is supporting Coach Williams it not anything I've seen the past few years from him. Quick hitters were the order of the day and a quick slant to throw a monkey wrench in a defenses plan to pack the box. This year the offense looks slower and the plays are easier to recognize even from a bystander like myself. I'm sorry if that sounds negative I really don't mean it to be but to me it's cold facts.

I have to believe every year a team has a marquee game in their pocket I think this week will be the week we stun the media.

How hard can it be. We are very simple in approach. I see only three or four passing plays and most of those are to the RB out of the backfield or to the tight-end. If you are a wide receiver at Halls you better be a good blocker because 99% of the time thats what you will be called on to do.

Do we have a single pass completed to a TE this year?

Seriously?

Ironman I know it's small consolation but we did have one burst of 55 yards on a short pass to Fitzpatrick against Gibbs.

I'm not totally convinced Powell can stop our running game but on the other hand I see our secondary having a difficult time stopping Powell's wideouts.

What I have watched this year and somebody pointed it out earlier the burst of speed seems non-existent by our skill players. The blocking seems fine but it takes us a age and a day to hit the line of scrimmage which seems to be giving the other teams backers time to close the gaps. If Coach Ward is supporting Coach Williams it not anything I've seen the past few years from him. Quick hitters were the order of the day and a quick slant to throw a monkey wrench in a defenses plan to pack the box. This year the offense looks slower and the plays are easier to recognize even from a bystander like myself. I'm sorry if that sounds negative I really don't mean it to be but to me it's cold facts.

I have to believe every year a team has a marquee game in their pocket I think this week will be the week we stun the media.

I hope you are right in your desires, of course, but I'm not sure the media will be "shocked" by the outcome of this game, either way.

I do agree we are the underdog at this point given how the seaosn has unfolded thus far.

Ironman

You know I think very highly of you so please take this as simply a different opinion, not anything personal.

First off, I don't disagree with everything you say here, in fact, I agree with more of it than I disagree with, but consider this...

The 2 teams we beat were not very good teams. I submit we beat them (despite almost purely running) because we were so much better than them on the line of scrimmage that they couldn't stop our run even when they stacked the box with 8 or 9 defenders.

To beat the better teams, we have to be able to pass the ball.

We must establish a legitimate passing threat, regardless if the Wing-T is a run oriented offense or not.

Also, think about this...

Perhaps we passed more against the teams we lost to because we were behind in those games and had to pass to catch up?

I think our problems in the passing game have much more to do with timing than talent. Only practice can fix that.

I've never seen a state championship HS team ANYWHERE that only passes 3 times per game.

We will not beat Powell if we only pass 3 times.

Not trying to pour gas on the fire. But I agree 100%. I thought last year we didn't use Dayton and Gresham enough I really thought we had the best chance of competing for a deep playoff run but we fell back to basics and nearly lost home field advantage. Bounced back when are backs were against the wall against Cleveland but looked wimpy again against Red Bank a team Powell nearly upended.

It may be a little late now but I'm in the camp if we don't find some balance again we will be average for many years. The game has changed in the last decade and many schools have leapfrogged us in entertaining a different approach on offense. Even if we execute at better than average in a dominate running game we won't be able to keep pace on the scoreboard with a multi threat offense.

Powell beat Anderson County, Anderson County beat Clinton, Clinton beat Halls. Things look tough for the good guys. Questions:

- How is Powell's team speed? How many "big" plays have their offense had this year (over 50 yards)? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Halls has zero.

- How does Powell look in the turnover ratio? Again, not to good for Halls. Penalties??

- I think these will be critical areas. Could someone close to the Powell program help us out?

I'll try to answer your questions:

Powell has zero team speed. Nobody on the team runs better than a five flat.

They have no big play capability.

They'll turn the ball over every time they touch it, and when they don't they'll get a penalty called against them.

In fact, you guys may as well not even worry about game planning for Powell this week. You can go ahead and start scheming for Lenoir City. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />