District 11aa

HHSnumber1fan

great game at harpeth last night. harpeth hit a big shot when they needed it and fairview had two shots at the end to tie or win and came up short.

i am going to rant for a minute, and having been a high school ref for 9 years before deciding to take time off to watch some family members play high school sports, i think i am qualified to question refs and by no means do i want to take anything away from harpeth's win tonight but here goes:

i agree the game was physical, but in the fourth quarter the refs flat out dominated the game. in the last minute, fairview was shooting a pair to tie the game and the closest player to the shooter was horkins and just as the fairview player was getting ready to release his shot horkins raises both arms and shouts hey. this is a no brainer and is against the rules, you can have you arms up or down, but cannot move them up while the shooter is shooting. the rule states that the first time it happens if the free throw is missed it is a violation and a shot is awarded and a warning, the second time it is unsportsman like and a tech is accessed. then not 30 seconds later while fiarivew was shooting three free throws to tie he did it again. the ref was asked by the fairview staff why that it wasn't called both times, and the ref on the first one said it didn't effect the shot which was missed and the ref on the second one said he saw it and again did not think it effected the shot. the rule states that if it happens it should be called, not in the judgement of the ref did it affect the outcome.

also, when fairview would pick up at half court and the harpeth players drove to the hole, mainly horkins and trey, fairview was called for 6 hand checking fouls in the second half. on numerous occassions when bledsoe and johnson would be picked up at half court, the harpeth players would get body to body and ride the player all the way into the lane. no foul calls and the refs explaination was their hands were up. this is why bledsoe and johnson ended up fouling out and trey ended up with one foul. the body checks the harpeth player put on the fiarview players as they drove would have made the predators coaches proud.

the other problem was offensive fouls and the lack of them. bledsoe stepped through a double team and was called for pushing off which was a joke, and then on his fifth foul dansby was body checking him down the side lines and when bledsoe stopped dansby went flying by off balance and a whistle for pushing off again. the ref actually made the blocking foul signal and then saw who the players involved were and changed it to a charge on bledsoe. the other thing on that play i find distrubing is the ref immediately as he called the foul told the fairview coaches that was five fouls on bledsoe before the scorers table told the ref. how can a ref know exactly how many fouls a player has before being told by the score table if he wasn't looking to foul a player out.

trey on 5 occassions drove the lane and twice a block was called which i agreed with, but the other 3 times when it was clearly a charging foul the refs said play on and had a no call. i have sat it the preseason meetings between coaches and ref on numerous occassions and the TSSAA man running the meeting says every year there is no such thing a a play on, if there is contact it is either a block or a charge yet we keep seeing these non-calls. the foul that sent johnson out of the game a ticky tack foul and there was more contact on trey's steals and hills's steals earlier in the quarter. again the ref told the fairview coach that is was 5 fouls before being informed by the scorers table.

how about a loose ball in the lane and a fairview play dives on it, a harpeth player dives on top of him and knocks the ball loose, then lays on top of the fairview holding him down as the ball rolls out of bounds. the refs explanation was no one had control of the ball so no foul was called even though the ref admitted that the harpeth play was holding the fairview down on the court.

and not to sound one sided here, the refs let the fairview post players do pretty much anything they wanted. several times they jump to block shots and clearly hacked the harpeth players to death with no calls.

again, despite the horrible officiating the game came down to the final seconds. was a great game to watch, would have been even better had both teams had an equal chance at the end with their best players on the court.

Sounds like home cooking.Refs have been pretty much terrible all season. theres no such thing as

a clean block especially if your the bigger player.They just blow the whistle and make up a call,usually

the old bailout call of got him with the body.Yet they never call a body foul when a player rides another

all the way down the court.Absolutely ridiculous!Probably never change because the refs want to be the

star of the game.The best ref is never noticed.Can't learn everything about basketball from a book.It helps

if you have played or actually watched a game in your life.Don't just do it for the check.

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great game at harpeth last night. harpeth hit a big shot when they needed it and fairview had two shots at the end to tie or win and came up short.

i am going to rant for a minute, and having been a high school ref for 9 years before deciding to take time off to watch some family members play high school sports, i think i am qualified to question refs and by no means do i want to take anything away from harpeth's win tonight but here goes:

i agree the game was physical, but in the fourth quarter the refs flat out dominated the game. in the last minute, fairview was shooting a pair to tie the game and the closest player to the shooter was horkins and just as the fairview player was getting ready to release his shot horkins raises both arms and shouts hey. this is a no brainer and is against the rules, you can have you arms up or down, but cannot move them up while the shooter is shooting. the rule states that the first time it happens if the free throw is missed it is a violation and a shot is awarded and a warning, the second time it is unsportsman like and a tech is accessed. then not 30 seconds later while fiarivew was shooting three free throws to tie he did it again. the ref was asked by the fairview staff why that it wasn't called both times, and the ref on the first one said it didn't effect the shot which was missed and the ref on the second one said he saw it and again did not think it effected the shot. the rule states that if it happens it should be called, not in the judgement of the ref did it affect the outcome.

also, when fairview would pick up at half court and the harpeth players drove to the hole, mainly horkins and trey, fairview was called for 6 hand checking fouls in the second half. on numerous occassions when bledsoe and johnson would be picked up at half court, the harpeth players would get body to body and ride the player all the way into the lane. no foul calls and the refs explaination was their hands were up. this is why bledsoe and johnson ended up fouling out and trey ended up with one foul. the body checks the harpeth player put on the fiarview players as they drove would have made the predators coaches proud.

the other problem was offensive fouls and the lack of them. bledsoe stepped through a double team and was called for pushing off which was a joke, and then on his fifth foul dansby was body checking him down the side lines and when bledsoe stopped dansby went flying by off balance and a whistle for pushing off again. the ref actually made the blocking foul signal and then saw who the players involved were and changed it to a charge on bledsoe. the other thing on that play i find distrubing is the ref immediately as he called the foul told the fairview coaches that was five fouls on bledsoe before the scorers table told the ref. how can a ref know exactly how many fouls a player has before being told by the score table if he wasn't looking to foul a player out.

trey on 5 occassions drove the lane and twice a block was called which i agreed with, but the other 3 times when it was clearly a charging foul the refs said play on and had a no call. i have sat it the preseason meetings between coaches and ref on numerous occassions and the TSSAA man running the meeting says every year there is no such thing a a play on, if there is contact it is either a block or a charge yet we keep seeing these non-calls. the foul that sent johnson out of the game a ticky tack foul and there was more contact on trey's steals and hills's steals earlier in the quarter. again the ref told the fairview coach that is was 5 fouls before being informed by the scorers table.

how about a loose ball in the lane and a fairview play dives on it, a harpeth player dives on top of him and knocks the ball loose, then lays on top of the fairview holding him down as the ball rolls out of bounds. the refs explanation was no one had control of the ball so no foul was called even though the ref admitted that the harpeth play was holding the fairview down on the court.

and not to sound one sided here, the refs let the fairview post players do pretty much anything they wanted. several times they jump to block shots and clearly hacked the harpeth players to death with no calls.

again, despite the horrible officiating the game came down to the final seconds. was a great game to watch, would have been even better had both teams had an equal chance at the end with their best players on the court.

It sounds like you had it in your mind to pick out everything the refs did wrong. When you come out with numbers for everything, Trey had 5, Trey and Perry did this, Trey and Perry did that, blah blah blah. Look everybody can get on here and post the same things about EVERY single high school basketball game.

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> "Not to sound one sided" /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

....TOO LATE!

you are right, i did point out numbers. when you have been a ref before and a person who rates officials before you tend to notice these things when you watch a game. like i said, i was a ref for 9 years in tennessee. before that i was a ref for several years in kentucky and was an evaluator of officials for high schools in kentucky for a year before moving back to tennessee. that experience would leave you to believe i should know a little about the game. not to mention i played four years of high school, four years of college, and two years of pro ball overseas. but i guess you maybe played a few years of high school ball and have watched a few high school games so you think you know everything. but you are right, you could say the same things about every game which brings us back to the point of the state of officiating in the state.

with that being said, i did say it end up as a great game and harpeth hit a shot when they needed it and fairview did not. all credit to hapreth for pulling it out.

the state of officiating from what i have seen this year is terrible. i thought about getting back into after taking a few years off to watch some family members play, but i don't think i would now. i would be ashamed to ref with some of these guys that are being used. when i was a ref before, if you made a bad call or did not know the correct rules no body would want to ref with you and thus you got no games. the other officials would not think twice about helping their buddies out so they would improve and not defend them for every wrong call they made. from prior experience, most of the varisty officials i have seen this year would not be allowed to work jv games in kentucky. they may get some freshman or middle school games at the level they call at now, but never a high school varsity of jv game.

you are right, i did point out numbers. when you have been a ref before and a person who rates officials before you tend to notice these things when you watch a game. like i said, i was a ref for 9 years in tennessee. before that i was a ref for several years in kentucky and was an evaluator of officials for high schools in kentucky for a year before moving back to tennessee. that experience would leave you to believe i should know a little about the game. not to mention i played four years of high school, four years of college, and two years of pro ball overseas. but i guess you maybe played a few years of high school ball and have watched a few high school games so you think you know everything. but you are right, you could say the same things about every game which brings us back to the point of the state of officiating in the state.

with that being said, i did say it end up as a great game and harpeth hit a shot when they needed it and fairview did not. all credit to hapreth for pulling it out.

the state of officiating from what i have seen this year is terrible. i thought about getting back into after taking a few years off to watch some family members play, but i don't think i would now. i would be ashamed to ref with some of these guys that are being used. when i was a ref before, if you made a bad call or did not know the correct rules no body would want to ref with you and thus you got no games. the other officials would not think twice about helping their buddies out so they would improve and not defend them for every wrong call they made. from prior experience, most of the varisty officials i have seen this year would not be allowed to work jv games in kentucky. they may get some freshman or middle school games at the level they call at now, but never a high school varsity of jv game.

It really stinks that we have someone like you that knows all about the game sitting on the sideline. Hopefully you can contribute and help out the state of tennessee in this crucial time. It is obvious that you can help, as you pointed out everything that went wrong, but hey atleast they only got the calls wrong when it was in favor for Harpeth. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Johnson and the post guy (24) fouled out at Fairview. Bledsoe had 3 or 4 there too. Fairview gets a lot of fouls called on them because they are a fouling machine. Against teams that aren't quite so athletic, they may not foul as much. Against Harpeth, they get fouls called on them because they foul...........a lot. Anytime a Harpeth guard gets by them, Fairview's guards do a matador move and slap at the ball from the back. You're going to get a foul on you most of the time on that play. Johnson leans in on every shot he takes in the paint and lowers his shoulder when he drives the lane (think Bullard Catfish). He initiates contact and tries to get the And One. Nothing wrong with that, but some of those are charges. I'm surprised he didn't foul out in the first half. I'm not complaining. That's their style of play and they've been pretty successful with it. I just don't see how you can fault the referees when Fairview's style dictates that there will be a lot of contact and slapping of the ball from behind. Check the books. I'll bet Fairview had as many fouls called on them at home against Harpeth as they did at Harpeth. I'd love to get some of that home cooking leftfield is talking about. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I'll agree that the officiating this year has really dropped off, but I also don't see it being one sided most of the time. Good officials quit every year because it's not worth the hassle or the pay. The guy officiating the freshman game Monday night that I know from umpiring with him told me that he was driving to Henry County Tuesday night for the JV game. He has to take off early, provide his own transportation and eat on the road. At the end of the day, he's in the hole. He's driving that far because they're having a hard time finding officials. Some of the ones they get are thrown to the wolves, so I agree that it's bad, but it's not just against Fairview. I agree with HHSnumberonefan. It sounds like you had an evaluation sheet at the game with you ballbasher.

Well said ballbasher.I agree totally. Reconsider and come back.Then we may have at least

one good ref. in this district. The thing is we would be better off with just two refs.,then there

would be only two bad refs. instead of three. It's embarrassing to watch night in and night

out.

Johnson and the post guy (24) fouled out at Fairview. Bledsoe had 3 or 4 there too. Fairview gets a lot of fouls called on them because they are a fouling machine. Against teams that aren't quite so athletic, they may not foul as much. Against Harpeth, they get fouls called on them because they foul...........a lot. Anytime a Harpeth guard gets by them, Fairview's guards do a matador move and slap at the ball from the back. You're going to get a foul on you most of the time on that play. Johnson leans in on every shot he takes in the paint and lowers his shoulder when he drives the lane (think Bullard Catfish). He initiates contact and tries to get the And One. Nothing wrong with that, but some of those are charges. I'm surprised he didn't foul out in the first half. I'm not complaining. That's their style of play and they've been pretty successful with it. I just don't see how you can fault the referees when Fairview's style dictates that there will be a lot of contact and slapping of the ball from behind. Check the books. I'll bet Fairview had as many fouls called on them at home against Harpeth as they did at Harpeth. I'd love to get some of that home cooking leftfield is talking about. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I'll agree that the officiating this year has really dropped off, but I also don't see it being one sided most of the time. Good officials quit every year because it's not worth the hassle or the pay. The guy officiating the freshman game Monday night that I know from umpiring with him told me that he was driving to Henry County Tuesday night for the JV game. He has to take off early, provide his own transportation and eat on the road. At the end of the day, he's in the hole. He's driving that far because they're having a hard time finding officials. Some of the ones they get are thrown to the wolves, so I agree that it's bad, but it's not just against Fairview. I agree with HHSnumberonefan. It sounds like you had an evaluation sheet at the game with you ballbasher.

First of all, I haven't been to but one high school game this year since I took a break from broadcasting games. I've never been a real fan of officials if you know me well. But I have done some officiating myself too. first of all the officiating has been bad for a while. And I think the reason as previously stated is low pay, head aches from fans, and every call you make, you are 50% right and 50% wrong according to the crowd. Officials are human and do make mistakes. There is no home cooking for the officials are assigned their games by a director in the area. Now some may cave in to pressure from the crowd which Ive seen done but no one is a homer. Now having said this, teams have to get to the point where a referee doesn't determine the outcome. As a former coach, I always told my teams to adjust to the calling.

Here's my annual "I hate individual awards in team sports" rant.

Defense is under rated in the vote.

The vote doesn't really 'get' you anything.

Every vote is subjective and maybe biased.

Every team is not deserving of having a guy on a true all district team.

If you took your all star and put him on any of the other teams, does he make them better?

Now, uncharacteristically, here's why I think Trey Caruthers should be MVP.

1. He'd be the first pick by an unbiased observer in a pick up game at the gym from the 11AA candidates.

2. He makes everyone around him better.

3. When he had to be the leader, he stepped up. Write this down. He's the best leader that Harpeth has had on and off the court since I've been watching, which is Shane Dansby's senior year. He's a better teammate from his senior peers down to every freshman on the team. Trey could have packed it in after last year and decided just to 'get his' and the heck with the team. Instead, he's brought along a young team with him and made them better individually.

4. None of the other candidates are playing night in and night out with the weight that Trey has on his shoulders. Thank God.

Trey is first and foremost a leader, this is the most important asset any player can have. I have seen him all year helping every player on the court. He shouts instructions and encouragement even when he is on the bench. He is constantly challenging his team with his words and actions. He has definately earned the respect of every player on Hapeth's team.

He is also very unselfish, which is tough when you have the weight of the team on your shoulders. I wish we had more like him.

You are correct he has been there long enough to know who does what ! But then again He is a first year coach at the HS level. ITS obvious who the athletes are. Seems to me hes building for later on at the seniors expense.I hope that is not the case. Another thing I dont understand is why you hire a first year coach over a coach that has close to 25 year experience. This is not AAU basketball!!!! IF you are going to win coach to win .IT is a coaches job to get the most out of his or her players. I'm not wanting to bash anyone but that is a fact of being a good coach.YOU have some players that want to shoot all the time without to much defensive output. Thats another responsibility of the coach.

There is no doubt that most of the fans think this also. The seniors have been pushed to the side and forgotten about except for a couple. Most of the SC fans believe the senior classman have been pushed to the side in order to start building for the years to come. How degrading to the seniors who have dedicated 4 years to the sport and were MORE than capable of getting the job done!!!

Someone in charge at SC needs to express that the seniors were appreciated and not forgotten. I hope Senior Night is more for them and not another game he coaches to lose at the seniors expense yet.

What exactly happened with the scoreboard operator? Is it just me or does it seem like a lot problems stem from playing at Stewart County or against Stewart County. I would have thought their athletic program would be getting cleaned up by now. They seem to be having a difficult time as their own people are often the ones criticizing everything going on there. Doesn't seem like they are to high on the current coach now. Why didn't they just keep Craig coaching, he did a good job last year.

If it had been up to the boys on the team, they would have gladly kept Coach Bramlett and Coach Craig. They are both true coaches of the game and life. The boys that have come from their programs are better for it!!!!

good reply ksgovols...

ok Stewart County fans, I'm from SC and as a fan or parent...you should never turn on your own players or coaches. Hes a rookie coach, but has been improvin over the season. if he was coachin the same way and we were winning more, notin would be said...but because SC has lost a lot of close games, the record isnt as good and it all gets put on the coach. become a true SC fan and respect your players and coaches no matter what happens

Read other post from many true SC fans and determine if any respect has been given by the coach to the players or fans by this young coach. Respect goes two ways ask the players. They don't feel any from the conversation I have overheard