Has RB Eric Watson de-enrolled from Olive Branch?

TraderB

KWC, he can play at Melrose now. I was refering to leaving a private to public school in TN. Coming from MS he can play tonight.

I just hope and pray that he settles at 1 school. This kid has a lot of talent but I hope that he is a team player.

Galilee:

He can play now even though he hasn't been a full year removed from CBHS? Does the fact that he went from TN private to MS public to TN public trump sitting out a year if it is from TN school to TN school?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Galilee. Under those circumstances, I would think that Eric will just sit out the rest of the season and come back and play his jr and sr year as a Golden Wildcat. Easy enough. Obviously ... he hasen't stayed out a full year and CBHS and Melrose, I think, are close enough in proximity that he would have to sit out the remainder of this year and play next year.

Can he practice with the team this season or in the spring?

In most states, it would be fine for him to practice.

Galilee:

He can play now even though he hasn't been a full year removed from CBHS? Does the fact that he went from TN private to MS public to TN public trump sitting out a year if it is from TN school to TN school?

I do not think that he would be eligible in Mississippi if the situation were reversed. I'm uncertain about Tennessee. Is he as good as Cooper was?

KWC, he can play at Melrose now. I was refering to leaving a private to public school in TN. Coming from MS he can play tonight.

I just hope and pray that he settles at 1 school. This kid has a lot of talent but I hope that he is a team player.

Melrose sure NEEDS him now!

--------------------------------------------

Melrose's current starting RB (Nash) is at least 2 or 3 notches below Eric Watson, easily! Nothing personal, but Nash is by far the absolute slowest & worse RB that I've ever seen play for the Golden Wildcats! I'm absolutely shocked that he gets playing time, let alone start. It's very baffling.

Should Watson transfer, and is cleared to play immediately by TSSAA, then Melrose has an instant RB controversy: Does the Coach start the superior RB (Watson) & dramatically improve the team's odds of returning to the State Championship game, or does he stay with the lesser-quality RB (Nash) and just accept lower odds....

One thing is clear: Melrose's running game is currently horrible!

Melrose's running game needs all the help it can get (quick, fast & in a really big hurry) to take some of the pressure off QB Toney.....Unless they can get a quality running game going (Watson could make that happen--he's just that gifted), then they are going to have a tough time getting back to the State Championship game.

Melrose sure NEEDS him now!

--------------------------------------------

Melrose's current starting RB (Nash) is at least 2 or 3 notches below Eric Watson, easily! Nothing personal, but Nash is by far the absolute slowest & worse RB that I've ever seen play for the Golden Wildcats! I'm absolutely shocked that he gets playing time, let alone start. It's very baffling.

Should Watson transfer, and is cleared to play immediately by TSSAA, then Melrose has an instant RB controversy: Does the Coach start the superior RB (Watson) & dramatically improve the team's odds of returning to the State Championship game, or does he stay with the lesser-quality RB (Nash) and just accept lower odds....

One thing is clear: Melrose's running game is currently horrible!

Melrose's running game needs all the help it can get (quick, fast & in a really big hurry) to take some of the pressure off QB Toney.....Unless they can get a quality running game going (Watson could make that happen--he's just that gifted), then they are going to have a tough time getting back to the State Championship game.

Although I think Eric is better then Nash; Nash isn't as bad as you make him out to be. According to M a x p r e p s he's sored the most TD's on the team, by far (11). They have played 7 games and he has rushed 80 times for a total 716 yards giving him an 8.95 ypc average. He's averaging 102.3 ypg. He's also caught 3 passes on the year for 46 yards and 1 TD. He may not be as good as Eric, but he is more then just servicable. I watched him against Whitehaven and I thought he was pretty good. He has good speed and he reads his blocks a whole lot better then he did last year. You don't average 102 ypg being just average playing against the competition Melrose plays against, not to mention ... he has a nose for the end zone. I think you have him pegged wrong TarderB ... I think he's pretty good.

I do not think that he would be eligible in Mississippi if the situation were reversed. I'm uncertain about Tennessee. Is he as good as Cooper was?

I don't know. Two different running styles. Cooper used speed and change of direction as his main weapons. Cooper had strength ... but it wasn't his focal point. Watson uses speed and power as his main weapon. Watson can make you miss and change direction, but its not his focal point. Cooper would run around you and then run away from everybody else ... Watson breaks tackles and then runs away from everybody else. That's what I remember from the few times that I have seen Watson play. Somebody help me here ... did I give an adequate description of both RB's?

Going to Melrose actually makes more sense then anything else. Comming out of middle school, Eric was going to go to Melrose ... he had been working out and practicing with them in the summer before his freshman season. Suddenly before the season started he attends CBHS and starts as a freshman. The next year he enrolls at Olive Branch but doesn't complete the season only to (rumor) enroll at Melrose; where it all began in the first place.

Concerning transferring from school to school and still maintaining playing eligibility:

Eric may be going from school to school ... but why would TSSAA want to stop him from playing? CBHS, Eric's freshman school, is a Tennessee private school. Olive Branch, his 2nd school is a Mississippi public school. Melrose ... his 3rd destination, is a Tennessee public school. Even if Eric where to have transferred from CBHS directly to Melrose ... he would have been going from private to public ... either way ... it ia all acceptable under TSSAA rules and regulations as I understand them. If I am wrong, someone please educate me. There is nothing for TSSAA to do in this matter. NOW ... If he were transferring from public to public or from private to private between Tennessee schools ... then I think he would have to sit out a season. Someone with a better understanding may be able to give a more accurate and researched answer on this subject then I because I may be in error ... I am not an expert in transfers ... but I think I am correct.

Um im pretty sure he went to CBHS as a sophmore. And from wat I have heard he is pretty good playing basketball too, so he would help Melrose in both football and basketball

Although I think Eric is better then Nash; Nash isn't as bad as you make him out to be. According to M a x p r e p s he's sored the most TD's on the team, by far (11). They have played 7 games and he has rushed 80 times for a total 716 yards giving him an 8.95 ypc average. He's averaging 102.3 ypg. He's also caught 3 passes on the year for 46 yards and 1 TD. He may not be as good as Eric, but he is more then just servicable. I watched him against Whitehaven and I thought he was pretty good. He has good speed and he reads his blocks a whole lot better then he did last year. You don't average 102 ypg being just average playing against the competition Melrose plays against, not to mention ... he has a nose for the end zone. I think you have him pegged wrong TarderB ... I think he's pretty good.

While those are some decent, albeit misleading numbers, he obviously accumulated the majority of them against the likes of Raleigh Egypt, Hamilton, Northside, etc (horrible, joke of a teams). I know that he did not do much vs better teams -- MUS and Whitehaven.

I maintain, however -- if Nash posessed the attributes listed below, then his overall numbers would be two times better! Plus, he would have had a major impact on the MUS and Whitehaven games.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My opinion of Nash goes much deeper than his current stats. It is the result of having seen him run the ball, many times, over the last two years.

In a nutshell, here are my biggest issues with Nash:

1) His balance is not very good -- he routinely goes down very, very easily.

2) He's not very powerful -- not very good in short yardage situations.

3) He's not very quick -- he does not have the ability to make defenders miss.

4) He is not very fast -- he definitely does not have breakaway speed, not even close.

5) No improvisational instincts -- it's one thing to read the prescribed blocks, but another thing to quickly locate an alternate opening (then cut to it), should the initial block break down. This innate ability often makes the difference between a 1 or 2-yard loss versus, say, a 6 or 7-yard gain.

6) He's not a playmaker -- he's not an "impact" player.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me digress for a moment a be clear about something: I mean absolutely no disrespect towards Nash. He's probably a fine young man. I wish him well in his future endeavors.

When one watches Nash run the ball, however...well, it becomes crystal clear that he's just not a very gifted RB. He is not going to turn any heads or cause any teams to worry about him as a threat. Heck, one barely notices that he's even on the field--that's just how un-impactful he is...

Again, with all due respect, Nash is the worse RB I've ever seen play for Melrose. I stand by that assertion. To that end, I doubt that any serious "football" Colleges are even remotely interested in his services as a RB.

I don't know. Two different running styles. Cooper used speed and change of direction as his main weapons. Cooper had strength ... but it wasn't his focal point. Watson uses speed and power as his main weapon. Watson can make you miss and change direction, but its not his focal point. Cooper would run around you and then run away from everybody else ... Watson breaks tackles and then runs away from everybody else. That's what I remember from the few times that I have seen Watson play. Somebody help me here ... did I give an adequate description of both RB's?

Kwc, your description of these two RBs is dead-on accurate!