Has RB Eric Watson de-enrolled from Olive Branch?

TraderB

While those are some decent, albeit misleading numbers, he obviously accumulated the majority of them against the likes of Raleigh Egypt, Hamilton, Northside, etc (horrible, joke of a teams). I know that he did not do much vs better teams -- MUS and Whitehaven.

I maintain, however -- if Nash posessed the attributes listed below, then his overall numbers would be two times better! Plus, he would have had a major impact on the MUS and Whitehaven games.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My opinion of Nash goes much deeper than his current stats. It is the result of having seen him run the ball, many times, over the last two years.

In a nutshell, here are my biggest issues with Nash:

1) His balance is not very good -- he routinely goes down very, very easily.

2) He's not very powerful -- not very good in short yardage situations.

3) He's not very quick -- he does not have the ability to make defenders miss.

4) He is not very fast -- he definitely does not have breakaway speed, not even close.

5) No improvisational instincts -- it's one thing to read the prescribed blocks, but another thing to quickly locate an alternate opening (then cut to it), should the initial block break down. This innate ability often makes the difference between a 1 or 2-yard loss versus, say, a 6 or 7-yard gain.

6) He's not a playmaker -- he's not an "impact" player.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me digress for a moment a be clear about something: I mean absolutely no disrespect towards Nash. He's probably a fine young man. I wish him well in his future endeavors.

When one watches Nash run the ball, however...well, it becomes crystal clear that he's just not a very gifted RB. He is not going to turn any heads or cause any teams to worry about him as a threat. Heck, one barely notices that he's even on the field--that's just how un-impactful he is...

Again, with all due respect, Nash is the worse RB I've ever seen play for Melrose. I stand by that assertion. To that end, I doubt that any serious "football" Colleges are even remotely interested in his services as a RB.

Um I havent really see this guy play but uh in Melrose's 13-6 lose to Whitehaven he got 13 carries for 109 which is and 8.39 per carry average AND he got 1 touchdown.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um I havent really see this guy play but uh in Melrose's 13-6 lose to Whitehaven he got 13 carries for 109 which is and 8.39 per carry average AND he got 1 touchdown.

SouthEast21,

That is a darn good outing vs a good team, no matter how one slices it! I'll give Nash credit for that. My memory failed me, that time...

Those stats still do NOT change my analysis of his skills & abilities as a RB, however. Not one bit!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Look, just in case someone starts to think that I'm trying to be a jerk here...Let me be clear: I have no agenda. I have no axe to grind with Melrose or Nash. I wish them both well.... But the simple reality is that even bad running backs cans have a good game here or there, just as the BEST backs can have bad games here or there.

Given that most knowledgeable football fans know a good running back when they see one...

I'll offer up this acid test. After this, I'll let the issue alone:

1) Go watch Nash run the ball. Do your own analysis. Rate his skills & abilities as a RB. Then, answer the next 2 questions, honestly:

2) If you were a High School Head Coach, would YOU make him your starting RB?

3) If you were a College recruiter, would YOU offer him a football scholarship?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've seen Nash at least 5 or 6 different games, over a two year span. My answers to the two above questions remain a resounding NO! I'm confident that 90% of respondents would reach a similar conclusion.

Again, let me emphasize: Please....none of my comments are intended as any sort of personal attack against the young man, Nash. I harbor absolutely no ill-will or malice!

SouthEast21,

That is a darn good outing vs a good team, no matter how one slices it! I'll give Nash credit for that. My memory failed me, that time...

Those stats still do NOT change my analysis of his skills & abilities as a RB, however. Not one bit!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Look, just in case someone starts to think that I'm trying to be a jerk here...Let me be clear: I have no agenda. I have no axe to grind with Melrose or Nash. I wish them both well.... But the simple reality is that even bad running backs cans have a good game here or there, just as the BEST backs can have bad games here or there.

Given that most knowledgeable football fans know a good running back when they see one...

I'll offer up this acid test. After this, I'll let the issue alone:

1) Go watch Nash run the ball. Do your own analysis. Rate his skills & abilities as a RB. Then, answer the next 2 questions, honestly:

2) If you were a High School Head Coach, would YOU make him your starting RB?

3) If you were a College recruiter, would YOU offer him a football scholarship?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've seen Nash at least 5 or 6 different games, over a two year span. My answers to the two above questions remain a resounding NO! I'm confident that 90% of respondents would reach a similar conclusion.

Again, let me emphasize: Please....none of my comments are intended as any sort of personal attack against the young man, Nash. I harbor absolutely no ill-will or malice!

I don't think you have an axe to grind TraderB; I just think he's better then what you give him credit to be. That's all. I think he plays on Saturdays ... just not at a SEC school. He can get a scholership to a TSU or ASU or Tennessee Tech. No ... he's not as fast as Cooper ... then again, not too many RB's are that fast. He's rused for 700 yards in 7 games ... against some cupcakes and against some stout defensive teams. I watched him rip off a 46 yarder against Whitehaven for Melrose's only score ... and that score was attributed to his skill as a RB and his speed. All i'm saying is this ... I think he's better then what you think. We can agree to disagree on this. He doesn't fumble the ball either. He is definately better then he was last year. I think his coaches are good enough at assesing talent that he has earned their trust and they have confidence in him. I think IF Watson comes to Melrose ... he doesn't start in front of Nash ... he sits and watches and learns. Nash is the man at Melrose and he's a pretty good RB ... there would be no controversy what so ever. Nash will end the regular season with over a 1,000 yards rushing and they have to face Fairley and East. That's pretty good.

*Accoding to a topic currently being discussed on Coacht; he is listed at 23 of the top 50 in the state Tennessee.

http://tennessee.coacht.com/boards/index.p...amp;p=826897781

I don't think you have an axe to grind TraderB; I just think he's better then what you give him credit to be. That's all. I think he plays on Saturdays ... just not at a SEC school. He can get a scholership to a TSU or ASU or Tennessee Tech. No ... he's not as fast as Cooper ... then again, not too many RB's are that fast. He's rused for 700 yards in 7 games ... against some cupcakes and against some stout defensive teams. I watched him rip off a 46 yarder against Whitehaven for Melrose's only score ... and that score was attributed to his skill as a RB and his speed. All i'm saying is this ... I think he's better then what you think. We can agree to disagree on this. He doesn't fumble the ball either. He is definately better then he was last year. I think his coaches are good enough at assesing talent that he has earned their trust and they have confidence in him. I think IF Watson comes to Melrose ... he doesn't start in front of Nash ... he sits and watches and learns. Nash is the man at Melrose and he's a pretty good RB ... there would be no controversy what so ever. Nash will end the regular season with over a 1,000 yards rushing and they have to face Fairley and East. That's pretty good.

*Accoding to a topic currently being discussed on Coacht; he is listed at 23 of the top 50 in the state Tennessee.

http://tennessee.coacht.com/boards/index.p...amp;p=826897781

You're right, Kwc -- we'll have to agree to disagree. Peace.

I think IF Watson comes to Melrose ... he doesn't start in front of Nash ... he sits and watches and learns. http://tennessee.coacht.com/boards/index.p...amp;p=826897781

Eric Watson wasn't starting at Olive Branch, either...shouldn't be too hard for him to get use to that. He really should have stayed at CBHS in my opinion. He was the lead dog there and did a good job and was getting one of the best HS educations in the Memphis area. He certainly wouldn't have had to worry about recruiters noticing him. Live and learn, I guess. Hopefully his travels come to an end now and he can settle down somewhere and focus.

Bring in anybody you want Melrose, because the season will be ending November 21st in Orange Mound against Henry County High School! Talk of making it to the state championship is laughable.

And yes, if this kid has a bona fide change of address he can play Friday night.

ParisRiverRat:

Melrose isn't "bringing in" anybody. This is about a HS football player changing schools mid-season, not about Melrose bringing in anybody. Also, I haven't read anywhere on Coacht where a Melrose fan has said anything about Melrose playing in the state championship game either ... but since you brought it up, I don't think it is a laughable thought. As a matter of fact ... I'll add Memphis East and Fairley in that mix. 8-4A is loaded with good teams ... loaded! Right now, Melrose has a big game this Friday against a very good Fairley team. Melrose plays East in the last game of the season. It's not written in stone that Melrose will be the number 1 seed in 8-4A. I know that everyone expects Melrose to come out of the region as the top seed but ... Fairley and East are not chopped liver ... they can play and Melrose CAN lose to either team ... they are that good.

Eric Watson wasn't starting at Olive Branch, either...shouldn't be too hard for him to get use to that. He really should have stayed at CBHS in my opinion. He was the lead dog there and did a good job and was getting one of the best HS educations in the Memphis area. He certainly wouldn't have had to worry about recruiters noticing him. Live and learn, I guess. Hopefully his travels come to an end now and he can settle down somewhere and focus.

I hope his travels have come to an end as well but who knows. I'll have to take your word on his starting status. I would think that he would come into Melrose knowing that any playing time he would get this year would be gravy, just due to the time of the season he has joined the team. Yes, he is gifted, but he still has to pay his dues with the Melrose players. Coach Hubbard doesn't seem to me to be the type of person who gives in to public perception or Melrose fan pressure. I mean ... he didn't play the twins like everybody thought he should, and they (the twins) left Melrose for Mitchell where they are now both starters. I don't think he plays Eric right away either, just because Eric is suppose to be so good. IF Eric joins the team ... I think he sits.

ParisRiverRat:

Melrose isn't "bringing in" anybody. This is about a HS football player changing schools mid-season, not about Melrose bringing in anybody. Also, I haven't read anywhere on Coacht where a Melrose fan has said anything about Melrose playing in the state championship game either ... but since you brought it up, I don't think it is a laughable thought. As a matter of fact ... I'll add Memphis East and Fairley in that mix. 8-4A is loaded with good teams ... loaded! Right now, Melrose has a big game this Friday against a very good Fairley team. Melrose plays East in the last game of the season. It's not written in stone that Melrose will be the number 1 seed in 8-4A. I know that everyone expects Melrose to come out of the region as the top seed but ... Fairley and East are not chopped liver ... they can play and Melrose CAN lose to either team ... they are that good.

My former coach friends in the Mississippi/Memphis area agree with you about Fairley, East, and Melrose. They believe that Melrose is VERY good, although overall, not quite as good as last year. They think Fairley may be a little better than last year, and East is much better than a year ago. They think the main problem Fairley will have beating Melrose is mental. They are not sure that they can. My friends do not believe that Watson would make a HUGE difference at Melrose, but he would improve them, nonetheless. The only problem I have with him transferring now is that it is obviously for athletic reasons, and therefore shouldn't be allowed. You would have to agree that it is more than a little unusual for a player of his caliber to "transfer" in midseason. I always respect your posts, so I will be very interested to read your response, to see where we agree, and disagree.

Bring in anybody you want Melrose, because the season will be ending November 21st in Orange Mound against Henry County High School! Talk of making it to the state championship is laughable.

And yes, if this kid has a bona fide change of address he can play Friday night.

I am a huge Henry Co. fan and think we have a legit championship chance but don't get too cocky RiverRat. These teams we will meet up with in the playoffs aren't chump change and will test The Patriots. I don't care what anyone says we can be beaten! Melrose in the championship isn't laughable either. They have been a few times and won. Also, they have sent more players than any high school in the state of TN to big time D-1 programs and the NFL.

I am a huge Henry Co. fan and think we have a legit championship chance but don't get too cocky RiverRat. These teams we will meet up with in the playoffs aren't chump change and will test The Patriots. I don't care what anyone says we can be beaten! Melrose in the championship isn't laughable either. They have been a few times and won. Also, they have sent more players than any high school in the state of TN to big time D-1 programs and the NFL.

Ahhhh, the calming, virtueous voice of reason...how sweet the sound! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

-------------------------------------------------

Hopefully RiverRat will listen to you, SEC1rules. You've obviously been around competitive sports long enough to know a thing or two about the merits of humility, respecting ALL opponents and not ASSUMING anything.

My former coach friends in the Mississippi/Memphis area agree with you about Fairley, East, and Melrose. They believe that Melrose is VERY good, although overall, not quite as good as last year. They think Fairley may be a little better than last year, and East is much better than a year ago. They think the main problem Fairley will have beating Melrose is mental. They are not sure that they can. My friends do not believe that Watson would make a HUGE difference at Melrose, but he would improve them, nonetheless. The only problem I have with him transferring now is that it is obviously for athletic reasons, and therefore shouldn't be allowed. You would have to agree that it is more than a little unusual for a player of his caliber to "transfer" in midseason. I always respect your posts, so I will be very interested to read your response, to see where we agree, and disagree.

Red Warrior:

Adressing his potential impact on the Melrose team:

Eric Watson was considered a phenomenal football player when he played football in middle school where he was a playground legend. I heard about him a long time before I actually saw him play. I think a Melrose indoctrinated Eric Watson on this years Melrose team would change Melrose from 'one of the best' in 4A in west Tennessee to 'the team to beat'. A Melrose backfield with an already established Gabriel Nash and a very good Eric Watson as a 1-2 punch would push Melrose into another level on offense. That being said ... Eric Watson is NOT a Melrose indoctrinated player so that point is mute. Does he develop into one over the course of the remainig portion of this season? Time will tell.

Addressing his transfering:

Eric Watson is not the first athlete to transfer from school to school within the City of Memphis school system. Case in point, when I played back in the early 80's ... Whitehaven had a guy join our team from another school my junior year. He didn't sit out ... he became a starter at CB. He was a very good athlete and he was better then anybody else we had at that position. We only won 4 games that year. The next year, he transferd back to the school he came from for his senior season. As a matter of fact, our starting qb from my junior year transfered out with him to play for the other team our senier season. He got over there was was relegated to a minor role on the other team. We went 6-4 that year. I said that to say ... it's not news to hear about an athlete transfereing from school to school. I wasn't mad at the guys who left my team my senior year and I don't have any bad or ill feelings towards Eric for his traveling from school to school. It happens. Its par for the course. As long as they show a change of address. Another case in point. Whitehaven had a player who started at DE his jr. year transefer to Melrose his senior year and start on the Melrose team that lost to Maryville the second time. I personally knew his father because he and I both coached on the same pee-wee football team. He told me during his son's jr year that he was going to buy a house in the Melrose area and move so his son could play for Melrose because he didn't like how his son was being coached. He thought that the coaches were too soft on the players. (This coming from a guy who used a paddle on his players if he thought they were not giving 100% effort). I might add ... this was the around the time that the current Whitehaven coach took over the program ... look at Whitehaven now. It happens all of the time. If he is abiding by TSSAA guidlines, I have no problem with it. If he is breaking the rules ... he shouldn't play. The reason for transferring doesn't matter. MIAA is aware that players go to schools just to play for a certain coach or team. Winning programs attract good players. Losing programs lose players as a result. It is a part of the culture.

I will add one more example. Graig Cooper who is now the starting RB @ the University of Miami ... the ex-Melrose star RB; well ... his freshman year he played for Kirby. His dad didn't like how he was being used so his dad moved to Oaklahoma his sophmore year. They returned his senior year and he enrolled Graig @ Melrose and the rest is history. I know Eric is transferrin mid-season ... but the reason for transferring is the same in every example that I have just given to you. It is what it is.