Has RB Eric Watson de-enrolled from Olive Branch?

TraderB

I had a chance to watch this young man back in his middle school years on 2 different occasions. He was clearly a notch or two above any others on the field. Is he still putting up great numbers? Also - It's almost sad to see a kid shuttled through so many schools just to play on certain teams.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a chance to watch this young man back in his middle school years on 2 different occasions. He was clearly a notch or two above any others on the field. Is he still putting up great numbers? Also - It's almost sad to see a kid shuttled through so many schools just to play on certain teams.

I've seen Eric Watson play three times, this season (Olive Branch's loss to MUS, win over Southaven & loss to S. Panola).

Eric is still an outstanding back, but is not putting up the same kind of numbers (I don't know official stats). There are two primary reasons for this:

1) Olive Branch offense is now about 70% Pass -- 30% Run.... They started out about 60/40.

2) Eric Watson is getting fewer and fewer touches in OB's offense. When they are not passing the ball, they tend to run the ball out of Wing-T looking formation. As a result, 3 different guys split the carries....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you can see, RedSwarm, Eric Watson hasn't gotten very many opportunities to shine as he (no doubt) likely thought he would (or deserve, from what I've witnessed).....Now, again, I'm not sure if his departure from OB had anything to do with his lack of touches, residency, or whatever else... It likely did not help matters, however.

Here's something interesting about Olive Branch: Their offensive line AVERAGES just over 300 lbs per man. Yeah, you read that right--that's over 300 pounds!! No exaggeration.

One would think -- with all that "beef" on the offensive line, that OB would be playing smash-mouth, run-right-at-you type football... WRONG! Instead OB prefers to throw the ball around. What's even more perplexing -- when OB does run the ball, it's all that "pulling"/misdirection type stuff! The result has been (not surprisingly) UNDERwhelming, to say the least.....This very issue has many of the OB fans blazing mad, leaving them scratching their heads.

OB insists on passing the ball, seemingly forfeiting their inherent advantage on the offensive line, & a top-flight RB. As a result, Eric Watson's overall #'s have really dropped off dramatically from his days at CBHS.

That's a shame. I guess you could attribute that to OB trying to get "ahead" of other high-school offense by coming out with a more pro-style offense. I know this seems appealing, but sometimes you just have to look at everything in reality and realize what will really help you. If the shoe fits, then wear it - don't try to get a more attention-grabbing one. Whatever the matter may be, I wish Mr. Watson the best of luck in finding a highschool that will benefit him the best - and more importantly, one where he can find stability in. The kid obviously has D1 talent - I hope this doesn't prevent him from getting the chance to earn an education while playing a sport that he has great talent in.

I can confirm that Eric Watson is no longer at Olive Branch. Look for something in the next couple of days in the Memphis Commercial Appeal. I am not sure where he is going but as stated above the leading candidates are Kirby, Whitehaven and Melrose. The question is will the TSSAA allow him to play.

I heard from a source that Eric will be at Melrose. It's not 100% confirmed, but he should be there real soon.

If it is that easy to switch back and forth from school to school and still get to play I don't know why more players aren't doin it. TSSAA should not let this boy play to show other players that you can't do this.

Going to Melrose actually makes more sense then anything else. Comming out of middle school, Eric was going to go to Melrose ... he had been working out and practicing with them in the summer before his freshman season. Suddenly before the season started he attends CBHS and starts as a freshman. The next year he enrolls at Olive Branch but doesn't complete the season only to (rumor) enroll at Melrose; where it all began in the first place.

Concerning transferring from school to school and still maintaining playing eligibility:

Eric may be going from school to school ... but why would TSSAA want to stop him from playing? CBHS, Eric's freshman school, is a Tennessee private school. Olive Branch, his 2nd school is a Mississippi public school. Melrose ... his 3rd destination, is a Tennessee public school. Even if Eric where to have transferred from CBHS directly to Melrose ... he would have been going from private to public ... either way ... it ia all acceptable under TSSAA rules and regulations as I understand them. If I am wrong, someone please educate me. There is nothing for TSSAA to do in this matter. NOW ... If he were transferring from public to public or from private to private between Tennessee schools ... then I think he would have to sit out a season. Someone with a better understanding may be able to give a more accurate and researched answer on this subject then I because I may be in error ... I am not an expert in transfers ... but I think I am correct.

KWC if you leave a private school for a public school you still must sit our a year. There is a rule concerning the distance between the two schools that determines whether you can play.

Thanks Galilee. Under those circumstances, I would think that Eric will just sit out the rest of the season and come back and play his jr and sr year as a Golden Wildcat. Easy enough. Obviously ... he hasen't stayed out a full year and CBHS and Melrose, I think, are close enough in proximity that he would have to sit out the remainder of this year and play next year.

Can he practice with the team this season or in the spring?

KWC if you leave a private school for a public school you still must sit our a year. There is a rule concerning the distance between the two schools that determines whether you can play.

I just don't think its right. I think if you transfer in the middle of the season no matter the reason you need to sit the rest of the year. If there is a death to the guardian of the that might be an acception but to switch schools because of not enough carries or anything to that regard I think you should sit out.

I just don't think its right. I think if you transfer in the middle of the season no matter the reason you need to sit the rest of the year. If there is a death to the guardian of the that might be an acception but to switch schools because of not enough carries or anything to that regard I think you should sit out.

Patriot04:

Based upon Galilee's explanation Eric would have to sit out the rest of this season because he hasn't been removed from CBHS long enough to fulfill the one year 'sit-out' requirement. Unless I am missing something.