Could a public school go DII?

Shelia

It matters if you are a basketball player.

I agree with your premise on 3 classes in basketball, but I will point out that 350 is actually a Class A enrollment and 1167 is AAA.....that is a difference.

Jackson Northside is no longer in AA. You won't have to worry about being in the same district with them.

I still don't think it's as much of a factor. Some of the best teams in the state are not AAA schools. The same can

be said for softball and baseball. Like I said...we only have 3 classes.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was directly involved with baseball and softball for many years. We were in the same region with David Lipscomb...and lost to them twice in the region. I didn't think a thing about it. With only 3 classes...it was not a factor.

We went toe to toe with AAA and DII schools also.

I didn't say the size of the school does not matter especially for football. It clearly does. What I did say was that we were chastised for moving up to play much larger schools than us. We did not want to be in the same region with Goodpasture and David Lipscomb. It was not because we couldn't compete. They are much smaller schools than the ones in our region.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you said the size of the school did not matter in other sports, except FB? At least that is the way I read it. I just disagree, that is all. Everyone can sight as many personal experiences as they want, I just think it matters as much if not more. That is my opinion.

One or two players do not make a football team, yet 2 out of 5 D1 prospects in BB can make all the difference in the world. Take Harding Academy in D2 football and St. George's in D2 BB. Night and day?

Why would you be chastised for moving up and playing larger schools? Were you chastised by the schools that you used to beat or the opposite?

There seems to be an outcry from some of the publics (not you, just making a differenct point) now that several privates have jumped to D2. That's confusing to me. Is that not what everyone wanted or is this more about "who do we schedule for homecoming now"?

It matters if you are a basketball player.

I agree with your premise on 3 classes in basketball, but I will point out that 350 is actually a Class A enrollment and 1167 is AAA.....that is a difference.

I'll tell you another place it matters. Choosing from 350 kids, you end up with the entire boy's team (minus a couple) playing football. What are they going to do if the football teams makes it a couple of rounds into the playoffs and there is an overlap. Not sure if they have ever had to deal with that situation before. Any ideas?

I didn't say the size of the school does not matter especially for football. It clearly does. What I did say was that we were chastised for moving up to play much larger schools than us. We did not want to be in the same region with Goodpasture and David Lipscomb. It was not because we couldn't compete. They are much smaller schools than the ones in our region.

Antwan: Your post begs a question. Why did you not want to be in the same region with Goodpasture and Lipscomb?

Voluntary or involuntary yields the same result. Why were we chastised for the move up? We supposedly avoided GP and DL even though they were not any better than several in our 3a region. LA took DL to the woodshed the next year. They were nowhere near as good as the year before.

You didn't answer the question. At what point does the size of the school matter?

Depends upon the sport, but I'd say that in football, somewhere around 1200 seems to be the number where enrollment doesn't matter. Some of that has to do with where the 1200 are coming from. If you take 1200 kids from urban areas, you have a pretty good chance of having a nice percentage of athletic kids to choose from. If you take a county school with 1200 kids, you are still going to have a nice percentage of athletic kids and kids with size. If you are a rural county with 600 kids, that percentage goes down proportionately and you have to look at how many kids will it take to field a team and depth can become an issue. If I can make the circle from which I'm drawing kids for my pool 3 times larger, then my odds of 'attracting' better football players increases.

I am one that does think it's a mathematical equation, though I have no idea what the 'multiplier' might be. In basketball where one stud can make a huge difference or baseball, where a pitcher can really influence the game, then the multiplier is smaller if not non-existent. In football, where you need 5-6 big linemen minimum, 5-6 skilled players minimum and the rest are just filling holes it makes a difference. The odds of having 6 out of 300 boys in your school that are 250 lbs plus that are also wanting to play football is a lot less than a pool twice that size or a pool where 5 or 6 of those kind of players would be 'attracted'. Same for the sub 4.5 40 guys. There's only so many of them around, but the odds get larger with every kid that is added to the pool.

At some point the number of kids that it takes from a random pool is able to overcome the number of kids from a select pool, particularly with the travel and financial restrictions that limit the select pool to a degree.

Antwan: Your post begs a question. Why did you not want to be in the same region with Goodpasture and Lipscomb?

Gate was the biggest reason. Another...we didn't want to be in the same region with schools that could get players from

all over the Nashville area. They had DI players...we had NAIA players at best. We didn't want to go to Nashville to play a region game.

We would rather play Portland...Livingston...Macon...even though they are much larger than us. They also brought a huge gate.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you said the size of the school did not matter in other sports, except FB? At least that is the way I read it. I just disagree, that is all. Everyone can sight as many personal experiences as they want, I just think it matters as much if not more. That is my opinion.

One or two players do not make a football team, yet 2 out of 5 D1 prospects in BB can make all the difference in the world. Take Harding Academy in D2 football and St. George's in D2 BB. Night and day?

Why would you be chastised for moving up and playing larger schools? Were you chastised by the schools that you used to beat or the opposite?

There seems to be an outcry from some of the publics (not you, just making a differenct point) now that several privates have jumped to D2. That's confusing to me. Is that not what everyone wanted or is this more about "who do we schedule for homecoming now"?

I said it does not matter much. Perhaps I should say...it does not matter as much.

As far as picking out schools....you could make an argument either way. Some small schools are very good in basketball...grils especially.

Clarkrange and Jackson County can usually play with anybody.

We were chastised by publics that didn't move up too...and privates we left behind.

I think it's a good move for the privates to move to DII. The multiplier is no longer a factor. Scheduling should actually be easier.

I think it's a good move for the privates to move to DII. The multiplier is no longer a factor. Scheduling should actually be easier.

I agree. I think it is best for everyone. I can't imagine what's left for either to complain about, yet I'm sure there will be something.

I hope they can still compete against each other, although, some of the new proposed Z-plan districts around here had 9 or 10 teams in football. That will make it hard to schedule a lot of out of district games as I understand you have to play ALL teams in the district, be upper or lower half.

I agree. I think it is best for everyone. I can't imagine what's left for either to complain about, yet I'm sure there will be something.

I hope they can still compete against each other, although, some of the new proposed Z-plan districts around here had 9 or 10 teams in football. That will make it hard to schedule a lot of out of district games as I understand you have to play ALL teams in the district, be upper or lower half.

Yeah...that's what it says. I think our district will consist of 7 teams. That will allow 4 non-district games.