Could a public school go DII?

Shelia

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shelby County schools vote down a move to D2

Two days before the TSSAA's deadline last Friday for schools to announce their intentions to move to Division 2, Shelby County Schools principals shot down a potential move to D2 in a majority vote.

TSSAA executive director Ronnie Carter said Tuesday that Shelby County schools spokesman Mike Tebbe called him on two occasions to inquire about the possibility of the county's eight schools moving into a D2 league that includes Christian Brothers, Memphis University School and Briarcrest Christian for the 2009-13 school years.

"Mike's first phone call to me was more of, 'A couple of our schools have mentioned it, and I just need to be prepared to answer questions.' ... So we went through some basic answers," Carter said.

"Then, the second call I got from Mike was as we were nearing (Friday's) deadline. It was, 'Ronnie, we've got some people pretty serious, so I need to go through the answers again.'"

If Shelby County Schools had elected to switch to D2 as part of the state's reclassification process, they would have become the first public schools in Tennessee to make such a move.

"I said, 'You're going to get huge questions from the media because you all are the first public schools to go Division 2. You're going to get media calls from Middle and East (Tennessee) and nationwide ... and you've got to get ready for what's your answer. ... Is this about race? Is this about not playing city schools. You've got to get ready for all that.'"

Man, that would have stirred things up. The idea is pretty sound though. If the 8 Shelby County schools combined with 3 DII schools, they would reduce their travel and increase their gate.

I think the question about race is a legitimate one though. White Flight started the proliferation of private schools in a lot of instances.

Guys (and gals):

kwc has posted the topic of the Shelby County Schools wanting to go to D-II on the Football message board ( "Public schools wanting to move to the D-II classification" ), first under the General message board and also under Classes 4A-5A-DII message board. Looks like most of the replies are being posted on the Classes 4A-5A-DII page. Head over to the Football message board if you would like to get some other reaction to this topic or add your thoughts to it.