Big 9 Conference - Football

Big 9 Conference Football?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Big 9 Conference Football?

If the Big 9 Conference adds football to it's sports, it will become much like the other major sports where the rest try to run with the bigger two of Dobyns Bennett and Science Hill. Yearly there will be teams that give these two runs for their money and may pull the upset. All of this is theory, however. If Sullivan East does not move up, and only eight teams are members of District 1-AAA, are we looking at a conference title of the 'Big 8', or could we for once be dubbed something creative?

I totally agree in that the conference would be decided between DB, SH, and SS. Boone would beat up on Crockett, Central, and Volunteer, but they aren't at the level that DB, SH, and SS play at. Also, would TN High be part of this conference? If so, IMO, I don't see them finishing higher than 3rd ever. Forget DB, SH and SS would pose enough problems for the Vikes and Boone might even be able to sneak an upset. The current classifications are not good for traveling. As a college student in Johnson City, it's hard to find the gas money to drive to Jefferson County, Bearden, Campbell County, and Karns, but these are all conference teams and I travel to see my boys play whenever I can. Plus, I'd like for us to play Boone again, we haven't on varsity since my freshman year in high school. Other than Boone, South, DB, and TN High though, I can't see anyone in the proposed conference giving us a run for our money and preparing us for the postseason. East, Central, Crockett, Volunteer? They would just have to take their lumps from DB, SH, SS and TN High, then hope that the better teams beat up on each other and open up a postseason berth for a weaker team to step in. Not downing anybodies team, JMO and I think that alot of ppl might agree.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree in that the conference would be decided between DB, SH, and SS. Boone would beat up on Crockett, Central, and Volunteer, but they aren't at the level that DB, SH, and SS play at. Also, would TN High be part of this conference? If so, IMO, I don't see them finishing higher than 3rd ever. Forget DB, SH and SS would pose enough problems for the Vikes and Boone might even be able to sneak an upset. The current classifications are not good for traveling. As a college student in Johnson City, it's hard to find the gas money to drive to Jefferson County, Bearden, Campbell County, and Karns, but these are all conference teams and I travel to see my boys play whenever I can. Plus, I'd like for us to play Boone again, we haven't on varsity since my freshman year in high school. Other than Boone, South, DB, and TN High though, I can't see anyone in the proposed conference giving us a run for our money and preparing us for the postseason. East, Central, Crockett, Volunteer? They would just have to take their lumps from DB, SH, SS and TN High, then hope that the better teams beat up on each other and open up a postseason berth for a weaker team to step in. Not downing anybodies team, JMO and I think that alot of ppl might agree.

Tennessee High will be in Class AAA-District 1. Please see the beginning of post #1 in this thread.

Each team will play every team in the district. Finishing results will only be compared against the other teams in their playoff classification. For example, see the theoretical conference results below:

Regular Season Conference Standings

#1 Dobyns Bennett 8-0

#2 Sullivan South 7-1

#3 Science Hill 6-2

#4 Tennessee High 5-3

#5 Daniel Boone 4-4

#6 Sullivan East 3-7

#7 Volunteer 2-8

#8 Sullivan Central 1-7

#9 David Crockett 0-8

Playoff Classification Standings

Class AAA-District 1 5A

Sullivan South 7-1*

Tennessee High 5-3*

Daniel Boone 4-4*

Sullivan East 3-7

Volunteer 2-8

Sullivan Central 1-7

David Crockett 0-8

Class AAA-District 1 6A

Dobyns Bennett 8-0*

Science Hill 6-2

*Automatic Playoff Qualifier

Big 9 Conference Football A Reality?

After personal analysis on the situation facing Class AAA-District 1, it seems to me that it would be very possible that the current Big 9 Conference could remain the same for the 2009-2013 classification term, while adding football to the district mix. With the release of the classification numbers by the TSSAA yesterday, it is apparent that District 1 will be comprised of:

Sullivan Central - 1,069

Sullivan South - 1,094

Volunteer - 1,249

Tennessee High - 1,342

David Crockett - 1,346

Daniel Boone - 1,407

Dobyns Bennett - 1,942

Science Hill - 2,158

Sullivan East's Dilemma

Left out of this conference by the TSSAA's choice of classification #'s is Sullivan East - 989. With Sullivan Central being moved out of Class AA-District 1, Sullivan East is left the lone 4A playoff school. How does this change things? Sullivan East will no longer be guaranteed one automatic playoff spot at the end of the regular season based on performance. The Z plan specifies that if one team is in a playoff classification, zero teams receive an automatic playoff bid. Without this automatic bid, Sullivan East will be forced into the wild card pool, where strength of schedule and results against are used to grant and seed playoff berths. This will force Sullivan East into a scheduling dilemma, schedule cupcakes or schedule tougher competition. With the cupcakes wins may be more plentiful but one runs the risk of having a low power rating, with the bigger schools tougher competition one runs the risk of losing and by moderate to large margins, dually hurting Sullivan East's power rating. A Patriot catch twenty two.

Sullivan East's Opportunity

What can Sullivan East do to solve this quandary? Move up to Class AAA-District 1, and into the 5A playoff classification. Why? Sullivan East is approximately 75 students away from the Class AAA student population cutoff. If Sullivan East was to choose to move up in classification, this would push the 5A playoff classification in Class AAA-District 1 to seven members. According to the details of the Z plan playoff classifications, seven playoff classification members earn three automatic playoff bids. Currently, Sullivan East competes against Sullivan Central, Sullivan South, and Tennessee High in conference, and have played Volunteer and David Crockett out of conference, in football, five of the six teams they would be vying for a playoff berth with in the new Class AAA-District 1 football conference. Out of these three automatic bids, one would surmise that Sullivan South and Tennessee High would earn two of the three playoff berths. This would leave Sullivan Central, Volunteer, David Crockett, Daniel Boone and a possible Sullivan East competing for the third automatic playoff spot. In recent years, Sullivan East has shown success on the gridiron against each of these schools, save Daniel Boone (they have not played). If Sullivan East did not earn the third automatic playoff berth, they would be back in the same position, the wild card pool, which they would be placed in automatically in Class AA-District 1. The potential of an automatic playoff berth and recent success against teams that they would, therein, be competing against for that automatic bid could sway the administration at Sullivan East into moving them up in classification, rounding out Class AAA-District 1 or the Big 9 Conference.

It All Makes 'Cents'

Also included in any conversation is the money situation. In this instance, the argument is more convincing. The potential of having the visiting crowds of Class AAA-District 1 conference member's filling the athletic coffers at Sullivan East more readily, more consistently, and more abundantly than the conference members of Class AA-District 1 is a persuasive case. This is not only so in football, but also in other major sports. In essence, there is more money to be made in Class AAA, than in Class AA, with only a potential slight drop off in competitiveness.

Now, I understand the realistic argument that Sullivan East, from a winning and success standpoint, looks to benefit more in Class AA than they ever would in Class AAA. To some it would be ignorant to move Sullivan East up solely for the principles I explained in detail above. It is now up to the administrators, both athletic and fiscal, to make the right decision for Sullivan East. Luckily we will know their conclusion by October 20, the deadline for Division I schools to move up in classification.

Your thoughts, opinions, and information are encouraged. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

East should stay where they are. In fact, I think Sullivan County should take all measures (including political and legal ones) to move South and Central down. They are right on the line and Sullivan County would benefit by all their schools being in AA.

If the Big 9 Conference adds football to it's sports, it will become much like the other major sports where the rest try to run with the bigger two of Dobyns Bennett and Science Hill. Yearly there will be teams that give these two runs for their money and may pull the upset. All of this is theory, however. If Sullivan East does not move up, and only eight teams are members of District 1-AAA, are we looking at a conference title of the 'Big 8', or could we for once be dubbed something creative?

How about "Octogon". /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> Maybe "Mountain 8". Or out of the 70's "Upper Lakes"...ULC. Mmmm' "8 Rivers." Let's see..."8 East." What about..."North East 8". Or..."Holston Valley...HVC". OK..."East Tennessee...ETC." Nah...or "Blue Ridge Conference". I say the majority of you will pick..."Upper Lakes". /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

It should just be called the Big 8 or Big 9, mainly because it would be historically significant. It was first organized back in the 1920s. Prior to 1995 this conference was always called the Big 5,6,7,9 or 10 depending on the number of teams in the conference.

How about "Octogon". /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> Maybe "Mountain 8". Or out of the 70's "Upper Lakes"...ULC. Mmmm' "8 Rivers." Let's see..."8 East." What about..."North East 8". Or..."Holston Valley...HVC". OK..."East Tennessee...ETC." Nah...or "Blue Ridge Conference". I say the majority of you will pick..."Upper Lakes". /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Come on, compusatman, why would anybody want to call it the Upper Lakes? /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> That old conference, AA?, had Sullivan, Rogersville, Ketron, Church Hill, and Lynn View...maybe Daniel Boone before they moved up. And if East moves up, imagine what the rest of Tennessee will think of us folks having a 9 team district called the Octogon. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

It should just be called the Big 8 or Big 9, mainly because it would be historically significant. It was first organized back in the 1920s. Prior to 1995 this conference was always called the Big 5,6,7,9 or 10 depending on the number of teams in the conference.

The historical significance I had forgotten about. Thanks for the refreshment. I'll stay with Big 8/9.

Come on, compusatman, why would anybody want to call it the Upper Lakes? /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> That old conference, AA?, had Sullivan, Rogersville, Ketron, Church Hill, and Lynn View...maybe Daniel Boone before they moved up. And if East moves up, imagine what the rest of Tennessee will think of us folks having a 9 team district called the Octogon. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

How about Eastman Invatational. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Why not call it "TSSAA Screw UP Conference"

As a Volunteer fan, I don't see us competing anytime in the near future. Although I personally don't care to have

DB and/or Science Hill on the schedule, it makes no sense at all to be in the same conference. There will be years we make the playoffs, but few and far between. The smaller schools will see fading numbers coming out for football and IMO I don't see how TSSAA saw this as a good thing for anyone, at least not Upper East TN4A - 5A.

PLus it sounds like the winner of the DB- SH game automatically goes to the playoffs even if they were to go 1-9.

I know that won't happen, but there could be cases across the state that it could happen. Like conferences consisting of 2 5A's in with 5 or 6 6A's.

Why not call it "TSSAA Screw UP Conference"

As a Volunteer fan, I don't see us competing anytime in the near future. Although I personally don't care to have

DB and/or Science Hill on the schedule, it makes no sense at all to be in the same conference. There will be years we make the playoffs, but few and far between. The smaller schools will see fading numbers coming out for football and IMO I don't see how TSSAA saw this as a good thing for anyone, at least not Upper East TN4A - 5A.

PLus it sounds like the winner of the DB- SH game automatically goes to the playoffs even if they were to go 1-9.

I know that won't happen, but there could be cases across the state that it could happen. Like conferences consisting of 2 5A's in with 5 or 6 6A's.

The winner of the DB-Science Hill game wouldn't automatically go to the playoffs but it would be 99% certain that they would. The winner of that game would have to lose 2 other games in the conference and the loser would have to win all of their remaining conference games. I think fans of every team in this conference are complaining.

How about the "Big 2 and the 6 not near as Big as you"?