Big 9 Conference - Football

Big 9 Conference Football?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Big 9 Conference Football?

What about the " Tri-City Conference=TCC" since all the teams are within ear shot of the surrounding tri-city area.

Should be interesting to say the least. I look for a blood bath between the big 4(DB,SS,THS,SH) with the occasional dark horse /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> .. if you will ..with some old rivalries renewed i know most of the teams already play ,but when (IT COUNTS) the intensity picks up a good bit and with all games counting in conference and don,t see 1 team winning all 3 games most years.

East is in a catch 22 situation. On one hand if you play up you will gain a good gate on Friday nights, but year in year out will not be very competitive for a playoff spot.On the other hand if they go AA they will be more than competitive and have a good shot to win consistently and make the post season most years. JMO but I would rather win in front of a smaller crowd than lose in front of a bigger one. So i guess its comes down to $$$ or winning /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about the " Tri-City Conference=TCC" since all the teams are within ear shot of the surrounding tri-city area.

Should be interesting to say the least. I look for a blood bath between the big 4(DB,SS,THS,SH) with the occasional dark horse /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> .. if you will ..with some old rivalries renewed i know most of the teams already play ,but when (IT COUNTS) the intensity picks up a good bit and with all games counting in conference and don,t see 1 team winning all 3 games most years.

East is in a catch 22 situation. On one hand if you play up you will gain a good gate on Friday nights, but year in year out will not be very competitive for a playoff spot.On the other hand if they go AA they will be more than competitive and have a good shot to win consistently and make the post season most years. JMO but I would rather win in front of a smaller crowd than lose in front of a bigger one. So i guess its comes down to $$$ or winning /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I think youmay be right about East. They could be in a catch 22. However, you know the old formula, success brings $$$$. I know the gate from visiting teams may not be as good if East goes I AA, but East has amazing fans who really support their kids. Ralph is doing a great job there and if they get in a situation where they win their first conference football title you will see that program snowball and gate won't be an issue because their fans will pack the place. Not to mention their take on playoff gates if they make the post season year in and year out at that classification. It could be a win, win situation for them.

I think youmay be right about East. They could be in a catch 22. However, you know the old formula, success brings $$$$. I know the gate from visiting teams may not be as good if East goes I AA, but East has amazing fans who really support their kids. Ralph is doing a great job there and if they get in a situation where they win their first conference football title you will see that program snowball and gate won't be an issue because their fans will pack the place. Not to mention their take on playoff gates if they make the post season year in and year out at that classification. It could be a win, win situation for them.

If they go down a division level, they would have more success which would in turn bring more fans to the games. But at this level, I'm not sure who their opponents would be and how many fans they would bring to the games because of the travel. If they are playing teams such as South, DB, and TN High you know that the gate will be good but you don't play all of those games at home each year. I think they would be better served to drop down a level. They still need to play TN High each year though. I moved to Bristol last year and attended my first East-TN High game and it was a huge crowd. It's not as fierce a rivalry as South-DB but the city-county rivalries are great for high school football.

i am just as confused as everybody else... Where does Elizabethton fit in at? I have heard they are dropping down, and may play up.... if they drop who are they in a conference with? I would much rather it stay the way it is. DB and SSH needs to be playing teams that are on their level They will only be hurting themselves by playing in a reborn Big 9 etc...

The problem is you have two schools, DB and SHHS, with a dis-proportional amount of students compared to the rest of the region. I dont think it is going to hurt either one. How did either team benefit from the 1995 re-classification? DB lost two conference games in that amount of time? Did it help them in the post-season? Still no state titles since the 1950's. I'm just saying DB is going to dominate, east of Knoxville, no matter what conference you put them in. Heck, historically, DB had better comp. when it was the Big 9. They have had more dominance in the Big East than they did in the Big 9. So I dont think they are going to be worse off.

Tricitiessportsfan please dont refer to schools like Crockett and Volunteer as "such teams." Your direct quote was: "As a Dobyns-Bennett fan, it makes me shutter to know we will be playing such teams over the next four years." I'm truly sorry we dont measure up to your standard. We try. We really try. We are limited in many areas but I promise you we try very hard to be the best we can be. I'm not going to list the differences between city and county schools. We all know comparing city to county is like comparing apples to oranges. So if DB doesn't win the state in the next decade, dont blame this change.

East is the big winner in the new classification. Every school (Central, Volunteer, Boone in the mid '90's) that moved down in classification in the past have benefited. Maybe not directly in football but in every other sport, the positives out way the negatives. I think it is good that East finally gets to compete against schools that they are equal to. East will benefit so much in every sport. Finally, a third place finish will not be looked at like a successful season. Central won the District in 2006. Guess who has won it every year since the mid '80's. DB or SHHS. Point is, East will get to feel like the City schools because they are now the big dogs on the porch. Good Luck to East.

i am just as confused as everybody else... Where does Elizabethton fit in at? I have heard they are dropping down, and may play up.... if they drop who are they in a conference with? I would much rather it stay the way it is. DB and SSH needs to be playing teams that are on their level They will only be hurting themselves by playing in a reborn Big 9 etc...

If everything remains status quo, District 1 AA will consist of Elizabehton, North, Johnson Co., Happy Valley, Unicoi Co., and East.

The problem is you have two schools, DB and SHHS, with a dis-proportional amount of students compared to the rest of the region. I dont think it is going to hurt either one. How did either team benefit from the 1995 re-classification? DB lost two conference games in that amount of time? Did it help them in the post-season? Still no state titles since the 1950's. I'm just saying DB is going to dominate, east of Knoxville, no matter what conference you put them in. Heck, historically, DB had better comp. when it was the Big 9. They have had more dominance in the Big East than they did in the Big 9. So I dont think they are going to be worse off.

Tricitiessportsfan please dont refer to schools like Crockett and Volunteer as "such teams." Your direct quote was: "As a Dobyns-Bennett fan, it makes me shutter to know we will be playing such teams over the next four years." I'm truly sorry we dont measure up to your standard. We try. We really try. We are limited in many areas but I promise you we try very hard to be the best we can be. I'm not going to list the differences between city and county schools. We all know comparing city to county is like comparing apples to oranges. So if DB doesn't win the state in the next decade, dont blame this change.

East is the big winner in the new classification. Every school (Central, Volunteer, Boone in the mid '90's) that moved down in classification in the past have benefited. Maybe not directly in football but in every other sport, the positives out way the negatives. I think it is good that East finally gets to compete against schools that they are equal to. East will benefit so much in every sport. Finally, a third place finish will not be looked at like a successful season. Central won the District in 2006. Guess who has won it every year since the mid '80's. DB or SHHS. Point is, East will get to feel like the City schools because they are now the big dogs on the porch. Good Luck to East.

Excellent post. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> I could not have said it any better. No, seriously, I couldn't have. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

The problem I'm still struggling with is how the playoffs will work. 32 teams qualify and 8 teams are placed in 4 quadrants.

7. The eight teams (6 in 2A and 1A) are placed in the bracket so that no teams from the same district play each other in the first round except when there are 5 or more teams from the same district. Placements are then done with priorities given to automatic qualifiers based on their district finish followed by Wild Cards. There may be times where teams have to be placed other than their order of district finish to avoid teams from the same district meeting in the first round.

Ok, they don't want teams from the same district playing eachother in the 1st round and they also want priorities given to the teams that finish higher.

In 5A, I think there will be 23 automatic qualifiers and 9 wild cards. Let's say 2009 breaks down like this:

5A automatic qualifiers

District 1 3 South, THS, Daniel Boone

District 2 2 Morristown East, Morristown West

District 3 3 Catholic, Halls, Anderson Co.

District 4 1 South Doyle

Total for Quadrant 1 = 9 teams

District 5 1

District 6 1

District 7 no 5A teams

District 8 1

Total for Quadrant 2 = 3 teams

District 9 2

District 10 2

District 11 1

District 12 1

Total for Quadrant 3 = 6 teams

District 13 2

District 14 1

District 15 0

District 16 2

Total for Quadrant 4 = 5 teams

There are two things that I notice right away. 1) Quadrant 1 probably won't have or need any wildcards. 2) The winner of the South Doyle-Lenoir City game will most likely have to play in quadrant 2 because Districts 1 through 3 have 8 automatic qualifiers.

So here is my guess as to how the playoffs will look.

Quadrant 1

1. South (H)

3. Anderson Co.

2. Halls (H)

2. Morristown West

2. THS

1. Morristown East (H)

3. Daniel Boone

1. Catholic (H)

I placed the teams in a way that the 1st place teams travel least and the 2nd place teams travel a shorter distance than the 3rd place teams. May be completely wrong. Either way, it looks like one team from District 1 will have to travel to the Knoxville area and vice versa if they want to avoid teams from the same district playing eachother in the 1st round.

I feel we understand each other. I meant no harm, I see it from a different perspective, I should put myself in others shoes. My apologies.

The problem I'm still struggling with is how the playoffs will work. 32 teams qualify and 8 teams are placed in 4 quadrants.

I, too, am confused by the seeding system THSViking2004. It seems the TSSAA wanted to become the NCAA Selection Committee. Since the the plan they approved, the Z Plan, has messed things up, I feel it's appropriate that they have to struggle with seedings and pairings and receive alot of flack from all sides. Unfortunatley it is the players, schools, and fans, who truely live out the negatives they have caused.

I feel we understand each other. I meant no harm, I see it from a different perspective, I should put myself in others shoes. My apologies.

Thanks. Sometimes we (county schools) have a chip on our shoulder. I might have been a bit overly sensitive to your post. Besides, I am a fan of NE TN sports and I, like yourself, want to see what is best for the kids. East gets the benefit this time. Four years from now we are going to go through this process again. Maybe then the TSSAA will devise a playoff plan that most people other than astro-physicist can understand.